OT Soap making?

Old September 21st 03, 07:06 PM
Arondelle

Default OT Soap making?

scaperchick wrote:

I'm searching around, but there's so much out there and I don't know
which info is the best. Does anyone make these kinds of soaps, and
have any favorite sites or tips? (I'd prefer not to buy any books,
because I want our limited budget to go all towards supplies.) So
far, I have a basic supply list, which is a good place to start, but
haven't seen many good recipes.

Try http://www.pourette.com/

They sell candlemaking supplies, but they do have a full line of
soapmaking stuff as well -- assorted soaps, molds, scents colors, and
what have you.

Their prices are pretty good, too. )

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old September 21st 03, 11:36 PM
meijhana

I was into it for a while. You can go to Michaels, and get a big block of
the basic melt soap for around $8. depending on how many you wish to make,
3-4 of these should do (especially if you wish to buy like 2 regular, and
two of the white.

You *can* use food coloring, but I would invest in the colors that they
have. Buy 2-3 of their colors, and 2-3 scents.

I have their flyer, and if you would like, I would be happy (when I have a
few moments) to send you some of the recipes, where like you put oatmeal/etc
into it.

There is also a recipe for bath salts. VVVVEEEERRRYYY simple, and what I
did was bought jars (like 99cents each - big lots or Michaels), made up the
mixture, and made up gift baskets with a jar and a couple of bars of soap.

You can buy the molds, or you can use simple things from around the house.

I don't know if Joann's has them, but I get a 50% off coupon from them
sometimes, and Michaels generally has a 40% off coupon in the paper (and if
you ask the clerk, and say that you don't have it, they give it to you). So
if you and Hubby go in, like 2 times in a week, you could conceivably get
all 4 at 40% off, then supplies, too.

Microwave isn't hard. yardsale items to nuke the soap, etc. The list they
have in the front (you don't need everything): microwave safe cup, spoons,
microwave, measuring spoons, mixing bowl, wire wisk, drying rack, sharp
knife, food processor (if you want to get into adding fruits/etc into your
soap).

Easy bath salts recipe:
1 cup of Epsom Salts
1 cup of sea or rock salt
food coloring
fragrance

you combine all the ingredients, then put them in an airtight jar and shake
every day for a week.

The book was probably 8.95 (the Design Originals), and makes a GREAT
investment.

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.
"scaperchick" wrote in message
My SO has a large extended family, and it's customary to give a gift
to every one of them at Christmas. We're talking about 30 people. So
we make something different every year because we're much too poor to
buy decent gifts for that many people.

We've done candles, and last year I beaded ornaments. This year, we
were thinking melt-and-pour soaps. I'm not looking to dive into this
as a craft; I just want to be able to make 40-60 nice-looking soaps.
Simple, but not cheesy, if you know what I mean.

I'm searching around, but there's so much out there and I don't know
which info is the best. Does anyone make these kinds of soaps, and
have any favorite sites or tips? (I'd prefer not to buy any books,
because I want our limited budget to go all towards supplies.) So
far, I have a basic supply list, which is a good place to start, but
haven't seen many good recipes.

TIA for any help you can give. We need to get started on this ASAP so
that they'll be ready by XMas!

Old September 22nd 03, 10:25 AM
Marisa Cappetta

I found some terrific books on soap making (from scratch) in our local
library. It was in the craft section. Never made any, I decided I needed
another craft like I need a hole in the head!! LOL

--
Marisa (AU)
ESBC

Old September 22nd 03, 04:44 PM
scaperchick

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:36:56 -0700, "meijhana"
wrote:

I was into it for a while. You can go to Michaels, and get a big block of
the basic melt soap for around $8. depending on how many you wish to make,
3-4 of these should do (especially if you wish to buy like 2 regular, and
two of the white.

You *can* use food coloring, but I would invest in the colors that they
have. Buy 2-3 of their colors, and 2-3 scents.

I have their flyer, and if you would like, I would be happy (when I have a
few moments) to send you some of the recipes, where like you put oatmeal/etc
into it.

Woo! Thank you for the great info, and I would love to have the
recipes, thank you! Also, thanks for the recipe for bath salts - we
were actually thinking of adding salts as an adjunct.

Saved and printed!
Old September 22nd 03, 04:45 PM
scaperchick

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:06:58 GMT, Arondelle
wrote:

Try http://www.pourette.com/

They sell candlemaking supplies, but they do have a full line of
soapmaking stuff as well -- assorted soaps, molds, scents colors, and
what have you.

Thanks, Arondelle! I'll check them out.
Old September 22nd 03, 04:46 PM
scaperchick

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:39:34 -0700, "Beth"
wrote:

Yes. I can add my two cent's worth. Try NOT to buy the Yaley brand of
melt-and-pour soap, as the stuff crystalizes after a fairly short time and
tends to make your soap look fuzzy.... I just cut the soap into cubes,
melted, added color, scent and poured. When you take it out of the molds,
wrap in saranwrap ( to keep the scent fresh) and package...I have made many
stickers on the computer listing the scent etc and just stick them on the
back of the bar.... it is easy and fun, but can be expensive... those big
blocks of soap are around $18 each.. but you'd probably only need two.

Your two cents are very much appreciated - thank you!
Old September 22nd 03, 04:46 PM
scaperchick

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:40:13 -0500, "Michele Goudie"
wrote:

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com
http://www.soapcrafters.com

And 1Toiletries group at Yahoo.

Go do a Google search for melt-and-pour soapmaking. Let us know when you
surface.

I may need a scuba suit!

And SAVE FARSCAPE!

Darn tootin'!
Old September 22nd 03, 05:51 PM
Dr. Sooz

Some of these places are pretty advanced, but they do have simple recipes,
simple packaging ideas, etc......

Recipes: Soap Center
http://www.halderman.net/soap/recipes.htm

Snowdrift Farm: soapmaking supplies, EOs, packaging & raw materials
http://snowdriftfarm.com/

Sweetcakes soapmaking supplies: excellent fragrance oils
http://sweetcakes.com/

bath beauty recipes
http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/recipecollections/

Cranberry Lane Make-it-Yourself Bodycare, Soap and Soapmaking Supplies
http://ca.store.yahoo.com/cranberrylane/index.html

Lavender Lane: Bottleware, Essentail Oils, Carrier Oils, How-To
http://www.lavenderlane.com/

Make Your Own Cosmetics: We provide Cosmetic Ingredients, Cosmetic Recipes
http://www.makingcosmetics.com/index.html

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 22nd 03, 09:43 PM
Jewitch

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:44:55 -0400, scaperchick
wrote:

Woo! Thank you for the great info, and I would love to have the
recipes, thank you! Also, thanks for the recipe for bath salts - we
were actually thinking of adding salts as an adjunct.

Be sure to post them on the group, so we can all have them. I've been
thinking about making some soaps, too!

Jewitch