Non tarnish silver?

Old January 6th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Kendall Davies

Default Non tarnish silver?

Does anyone have experience of Argentium silver and/or two British
anti-tarnish silvers called Lustre silver and Brilliante silver? (Not sure
about the spellings of the last two.)

Kendall.

Old January 6th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Georgia

What do you want to know?

Georgia

newsan.2007.01.06.16.06.48.289091@kendalldavies. co.uk...

Old January 6th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Kendall Davies wrote:
Does anyone have experience of Argentium silver and/or two British
anti-tarnish silvers called Lustre silver and Brilliante silver? (Not sure
about the spellings of the last two.)

Kendall.

I don't, but I believe that Lin Stanionis has done some work in Argentium.

http://www2.ku.edu/~sfa/dsgn/metalsa...is/index.shtml

To contact her go to:
http://www2.ku.edu/~sfa/dsgn/metalsa.../contact.shtml

You can also search the archives at ganoksin.com. There are 864
references there.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 6th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Kendall Davies

I've read the technical details on the Argentium silver website but wondered
how well it works in practice. How effective is the non-tarnish? How easy is
it to work particularly forge? Does the heat hardening work easily? Is fire
scale really almost non existent.

I'm in the UK so am particularly interested in comments on Lustre silver and
Brilliante silver.

Any info. will be gratefully received.

Kendall

news

Old January 7th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Georgia

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:04:36 +0000, Kendall Davies wrote:

It's worth investing a few quid in a little bit to experiment with so you
can see for yourself. I haven't tried to heat harden Argentium, but the fact
that it is a much poorer conductor than standard copper alloy Sterling is a
dream come true for me. I haven't noticed any tarnishing in the 11 months
I've been experimenting with it, but I have to say I store it pretty much
the same as regular Sterling.

Let us know what you find out.

newsan.2007.01.06.23.05.43.706633@kendalldavies. co.uk...

Old January 8th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me

Kendall Davies wrote:
Does anyone have experience of Argentium silver and/or two British
anti-tarnish silvers called Lustre silver and Brilliante silver? (Not sure
about the spellings of the last two.)

Kendall.

Personally I've never had any problems with Argentium. I also use
Argentium solder. I found using regular solder tended to tarnish a lot
faster than Argentium...and nothing was uglier than seeing that tarnish
spot where something was soldered. *blush* I learned my lesson after
making a couple of bracelets.

Firescale isn't as bad, too. It's one of the reasons why I don't mind
paying a smidge more for Argentium.

I've also used Argentium casting grains. Again, no problem. I've made
a few charms for bracelets with the silver and each time I've been
happy.

I haven't used the British Lustre or Brilliante -- sorry I can't help
there.

-Sparkle-

Old January 9th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

Has anyone seen any Argentium bezel wire?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

"Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me" wrote in
message ...

Old January 10th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

C Ryman wrote:
Has anyone seen any Argentium bezel wire?

What? You can't make your own.

Bezel wire is for wimps.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

annealing brass C Ryman Jewelry 2 July 8th 05 01:46 AM
pure silver jewellery boomkap Jewelry 0 January 9th 05 01:49 AM
Electrolytic Plate method of removing silver Tarnish Brendan Jewelry 1 January 28th 04 02:13 AM
Sterling silver question (.925) porkchops Jewelry 7 January 24th 04 06:58 PM
Bali Silver -- What's the Deal? saucy Beads 16 August 21st 03 03:21 PM