Golliwog Pattern

Old December 15th 03, 12:02 PM
Sarah Carter

Liz wrote in message =
news
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:55:28 GMT, Anna wrote:

"The Golliwog (originally spelled Golliwogg) is the least known of =

the major
anti-Black caricatures in the United States. ..."

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/golliwog/

Strange that they say it is grotesque! I had a lovely golly - much
loved and hugged. Perhaps the golly has different meanings for
different nationalities? I am in UK.

It is rather odd isn't it? I'm in the UK and remember having the golly =
character on jars of Robertsons jam. We loved collecting the labels so =
that we could send off for an enamel badge with the golly doing every =
job imaginable, from spaceman to lollipop man.

Definately not anti-black.

Sarah
--=20

Old December 15th 03, 02:52 PM
Trish

Hubby is from England too. I thought it was offensive (Canada) but he told
me I was being rediculous, his little doll was much loved & he used to take
it everywhere with him:)
So I think you're probably right Liz:)

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine
"Liz" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:55:28 GMT, Anna wrote:

"Tania" wrote in message
I am looking for a knitted or crochet pattern to make a Golliwog, can

anyone
help me please? Tania. Oh yaaaaaaaaaa Merry Christmas everyone

hahaha

"The Golliwog (originally spelled Golliwogg) is the least known of the

major
anti-Black caricatures in the United States. ..."

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/golliwog/

Strange that they say it is grotesque! I had a lovely golly - much
loved and hugged. Perhaps the golly has different meanings for
different nationalities? I am in UK.
--
Liz Hanson

Old December 15th 03, 08:47 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
ojunk (GSHEPDOG) wrote:

"The Golliwog (originally spelled Golliwogg) is the least known of the major
anti-Black caricatures in the United States. ..."

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/golliwog/

Nice choice of project.

?

Anna

Hi:

I am located in the Northeastern part of the States and have never seen or
heard of a Golliwog. Could it be a Southern State toy?

Just curious.

Lee

I have never seen one either and I am just about ready to go and look at
the webside. Maybe I have seen one but I am not familiar with the word
Golliwogg. Nice rolling word....

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 15th 03, 08:49 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Sarah Carter"
wrote:

Liz wrote in message =
news
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:55:28 GMT, Anna wrote:

"The Golliwog (originally spelled Golliwogg) is the least known of =

the major
anti-Black caricatures in the United States. ..."

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/golliwog/

Strange that they say it is grotesque! I had a lovely golly - much
loved and hugged. Perhaps the golly has different meanings for
different nationalities? I am in UK.

It is rather odd isn't it? I'm in the UK and remember having the golly =
character on jars of Robertsons jam. We loved collecting the labels so =
that we could send off for an enamel badge with the golly doing every =
job imaginable, from spaceman to lollipop man.

Definately not anti-black.

Sarah
--=20

Sarah, if there ever was a racial connection with this Goliwogg, it is
nice to hear and read that that is gone now and we have moved on to it
being a black doll among many other dolls to be hugged and loved......

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 16th 03, 03:14 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Katherine wrote:

My son had a golliwog which he loved dearly. I think that this has become a
case of being a bit too politically correct. It is OK to have stuffed toys
with orange faces, green faces, blue faces - in fact, every colour but
black.

Looking carefully at the style of doll, I think the Golliwog is just a
black version of the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, or maybe they were
red-haired copies of the Golly.

As far as 'politically correctness' goes, you should visit New Orleans
and see the fine-art black dolls that are made and sold there! I believe
at least some of them are made by black artists, and they don't seem to
think that there is any problem with representing certain shapes and
facial expressions.

It's just a doll.

=Tamar
Old December 16th 03, 05:53 AM
Kari

Liz,
I was born in the UK. My parents wouldn't let me have a Golliwog because of
the racist innuendo. WE ARE BLACK and originate from Jamaica!!!
To me it was the first and (at the time) only doll of my colour. I wanted
one so desperately - all my friends had dolls of "their colour", why
couldn't I. Mom & Dad never explained racism to me.
Looking back - it was their way of bringing me up to be non-racist. it
worked - but I never got a Golliwog. By the time I was old enough to
realise that there were tokens on the Robertson marmalade jars, dear old
Golli was withdrawn.

Hey! I wonder if my friends still want one.

off to get the pattern....

--
Kari (in the UK)
SpamTrap: I will have "no spam" emailed to me!

Old December 16th 03, 05:57 AM
Kari

Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

--
Kari (in the UK)
SpamTrap: I will have "no spam" emailed to me!

Old December 16th 03, 12:56 PM
Anna

"Kari" wrote in message
Talking about politically correct "nonsense"..

I used to work in an Infant School (Kindergarten). we were not allowed to
teach the children "Baa-Baa BLACK sheep" - it had to be "Baa-Baa GREEN
sheep".

And they wonder why the youth of today are confused!!!!!

--
Kari (in the UK)

Maybe it's because the grown-ups of today have a slight problem with the
truth. Kari?

Old December 16th 03, 01:45 PM
Yarn Forward

I was born in the UK way back in the 40's, and I had a Golliwog when I was small
- not sure what happened to it now. We never saw it as anything other than a
cuddly doll, but in retrospect, the name could be deemed offensive. I guess we
were all a lot more innocent in those days....

Roger.

Kari wrote:

Liz,
I was born in the UK. My parents wouldn't let me have a Golliwog because of
the racist innuendo. WE ARE BLACK and originate from Jamaica!!!
To me it was the first and (at the time) only doll of my colour. I wanted
one so desperately - all my friends had dolls of "their colour", why
couldn't I. Mom & Dad never explained racism to me.
Looking back - it was their way of bringing me up to be non-racist. it
worked - but I never got a Golliwog. By the time I was old enough to
realise that there were tokens on the Robertson marmalade jars, dear old
Golli was withdrawn.

Hey! I wonder if my friends still want one.

off to get the pattern....

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store
http://www.yarnforward.com

Old December 16th 03, 10:40 PM
Ria Van de Velde

Kari, I do hope you make a doll like this for you. I find him very
cute and I believe every child in the world should have a doll that
resembles him/her. Having a black doll is no racism, but saying there
is something wrong with black dolls, certainly is.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:53:39 -0000, "Kari"
wrote:

Liz,
I was born in the UK. My parents wouldn't let me have a Golliwog because of
the racist innuendo. WE ARE BLACK and originate from Jamaica!!!
To me it was the first and (at the time) only doll of my colour. I wanted
one so desperately - all my friends had dolls of "their colour", why
couldn't I. Mom & Dad never explained racism to me.
Looking back - it was their way of bringing me up to be non-racist. it
worked - but I never got a Golliwog. By the time I was old enough to
realise that there were tokens on the Robertson marmalade jars, dear old
Golli was withdrawn.

Hey! I wonder if my friends still want one.

off to get the pattern....

With love from belgium
Ria

riavdv at pandora dot be