r.a.sf.c. sewing thread

Old July 12th 03, 12:07 AM
joy beeson

Default r.a.sf.c. sewing thread

You should bip over to rec.arts.sf.composition and see what
they are saying about us in one branch of the thread
"American English; probably more than you wanted to know"

On r.a.sf.c, changing the subject line doesn't work unless
you changed the subject on purpose -- trying to keep up with
thread drift only makes matters worse-- so threads there
tend to be very long with many branches.

"American English; probably more than you wanted to know" is
even more ramose than usual, so having found the thread,
feed my name into "find". At the third occurrence of "Joy
Beeson", back up two or three screens. The thread branched
at Elizabeth Shack's nineteen-line post saying that she
wished she could afford to buy custom clothing, which just
naturally brought sewists out of the woodwork

The subject hotted up after Marilee J. Layman's assertion
that fabric is expensive, which, when I last downloaded
headers, was her second post back from the third occurrence
of my name in the thread, which, at the time, was my highest
post in the branch.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old July 12th 03, 12:30 AM
Jenn Ridley

joy beeson wrote:

The subject hotted up after Marilee J. Layman's assertion
that fabric is expensive,

Which it is, if you compare the price of enough fabric to make a dress
or shirt to how much it would cost you to buy that dress or shirt at
anything cheaper than Kohl's/JCPenney etc.

If you shop at expensive stores, yes, it's cheaper to sew. If you
shop at Target/WalMart/Meijer, it's not.

I buy most of my clothes (and my kid's clothes) because it's not worth
my time to make them. I make special occasion clothes, and stuff that
I just can't find (black shorts for a s14 girl that are long enough to
be school-legal, f'rex). I can't buy tshirt fabric to make DS a
tshirt for less than $5 -- I don't usually pay more than that for a
finished tshirt that will get passed down at least twice before it's
ready for the rag basket.

I buy my kid's winter jackets on sale in October...I can't even buy
the outer shell fabric for what I pay for the jackets (shell, lining,
Thinsulate interlining, zippers, snaps, drawstrings). And I have all
that time left to work on 'cool' stuff....

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley