Wow! One man.. 169,000 stitches.. 26 count linen.. silk thread..

Old November 30th 04, 10:29 AM
Fred

Default Wow! One man.. 169,000 stitches.. 26 count linen.. silk thread..

Having returned from the Twilight Zone and now back on earth I just had to
share this with you all.

Stitches 500 x 338 = 169,000
Pure Colors 89
Blended Colors 21
Fabric Linen, 26 ct.
Stitch Count 1 thread over, 26 stitches per inch
Color Antique White
Finished Size of Design 20 x 13 1/2 inches (51 x 35 cm)
Thread EternaSilk[tm] Mini-Twist
Strands 2

The name of the project is "Picture Gallery With Views of Modern Rome",
painted by the Italian artist Giovanni Paolo Pannini and being cross
stitched by a gentleman named Gary Schneider. Having spent the last few
hours reading about his cross stitch project, his style and his methods,
IMHO this man is a true master of the craft.

If you want to view this awe inspiring project go to
http://www.goldenkite.com/pages/Project/project.htm

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
Don't backstitch to email
just stitchit.

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof",
"Oriental Maiden".
W.I.L. - "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Old November 30th 04, 12:41 PM
Gillian Murray

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Just went for a quick browse, and time flew. It is amazing work; I don't
think I could cross-stitch with latex gloves on though! 2 minutes per stitch
is mind-boggling!

Gillian

Old November 30th 04, 02:34 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Now think how many stiches you could stich instead of counting ,,,,
sorry , i am overwhelmed by your achievement ,,,,, but i do not see
the point in publishing it. The only time i need Work statistics is
when iwant to sell the work ,,,, otherwise i create i think i work ,,
i can get up in the middle of the night and do some work parts ,,,,,
should i count as well ????
pondering the importance of all this Numbers ???
mirjam

Old November 30th 04, 04:57 PM
Jeanine3

Wow, it's looking good. I remember stumbling across this site about two
years ago and I have thought of him now and then, wondering about his
progress as I didn't save the link. It's going to be amazing!
Jeanine in Canada

Old November 30th 04, 05:44 PM
Darla

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:41:09 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

I don't
think I could cross-stitch with latex gloves on though! 2 minutes per stitch
is mind-boggling!

Why is he stitching with gloves on? And why is he taking so long to
complete a stitch? (and I thought our own Gary was a nutter!)
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Picture Trail Gallery: www.picturetrail.com User Name: Condorita
www.sisquoc.blog-city.com
Get naked to respond.
Old December 1st 04, 02:22 AM
Jenn Liace

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:44:23 GMT, Darla
wrote:

I don't
think I could cross-stitch with latex gloves on though! 2 minutes per stitch
is mind-boggling!

Why is he stitching with gloves on? And why is he taking so long to
complete a stitch? (and I thought our own Gary was a nutter!)
Darla

Gloves are probably to prevent hand oils from getting on the project.
And yeah, two minutes per stitch would be excruciating! Heck, even
two stitches per minute would make me crazy.

Jenn L.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace

Current projects:
Christmas Carnations (Threads Through Time)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Starry Night (Vincent van Gogh via Cross Stitch Collectibles)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old December 1st 04, 03:18 PM
anne

Jenn Liace said
Heck, even two stitches per minute would make me crazy.

Any kind of counted stitching drives me nuts, a very short ride in my case g
I think I have some kind of stitching dyslexia -- my eye sees the number of
stitches on a chart or graph but my brain refuses to remember that number when
I look at the cloth. I'm getting better at seeing mistakes as they occur in
blackwork patterns and geometric shapes with simple colo(u)r patterns but if
there's a gazillion and two similar colo(u)rs in a row, I immediately get
hopelessly lost.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old December 1st 04, 08:31 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

When I was learning all the pulled thread stitches in McNeil's book,
many of them baffled me at first. So, I did the ones worked
horizontally first. The diagonal ones came much easier, then. This same
problem is why I don't tackle blackwork - though I know with
perseverence, I could do it.

But I must add, one day I sat down and did Spanish net stitch without
batting an eye. But when I tried to do it (same cloth, same thread) two
weeks later, I couldn't for the life of me. :-)

Yes, I think some of us a terrible time with this stuff. But I'm so
stubborn (and I want to do it so badly), that I just keep at it. It
DOES get easier, one step at a time. But you must be determined. I've
been amazed at how I've progressed, but I'm not sure the learning curve
has rubbed off on anything else in my life which requires similar
skills. :-)

Dianne

Jenn Liace said