My new toy!

Old January 1st 04, 01:35 AM
Dannielle Beitzell

Default My new toy!

Well, it really isn't mine, but it is for awhile! I borrowed my DMIL's
serger! Her father has moved from his large house into a retirement
apartment, and has given up his sewing equipment. My MIL received the
serger, and the moment I saw it I started drooling! I had never asked her
that big of a question before...."Could I ...borrow the serger until you
come up in the spring to see the baby?"

And she said . . . YES! She hadn't used it, and didn't know if she would
use it, and she knows she'll get it back from me in about four months or so.
Now I get to play with it and see what I can do with it to figure out if I
really need to buy one for myself!

Now, has anyone every used a serger to make quilts? How many projects can I
get done between now and the birth of the baby? (Don't forget how much I
have to do just for the baby as well as work/church/husband and all of that!
Plus I still sleep a lot!)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Old January 1st 04, 02:23 AM
Diana Curtis

I was at a LQS where the owner said she made lots of her quilts with a
serger. She liked it for homespuns, and other applications I cannot remember
at the moment.
On this group the consensus seems to be that the serging adds to much bulk
to a seam allowance to make it fun to quilt through.
Sergers have lots of other fun uses. I havent played with mine a lot but
if you make clothing its invaluable.
Congrats on getting to test drive such a fun toy!
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 1st 04, 02:51 AM
Polly Esther

Here's one you need to do 12 or 18 times Before Baby. Take 3 yards of
fabric. Fold it in half so it sort of measures 45" x 45" or thereabouts so
you're almost creating a nice square. Pin it together all around. Cut the
corners rounded. Use a dinner plate to draw the curved corners if you want
to. Serge around. Put the pins where you can see them and remove them before
they go to the blades. Please.
Makes a grand fine receiving blanket. You can use flannel, plisse,
batiste, gingham, seersucker.
After that, the sky's the limit. You can stitch on lace, eyelet, blanket
stitch, crochet, or nothing. I don't know how many would be too many. You
can just use a single layer. You can . . . I think you've got the idea.
Enjoy the serger. They are a challenge and they are worth it. Polly

Old January 1st 04, 03:33 AM
frood

I have 2 flannel blankets made almost this same way - printed flannel for
one piece, plain white for the other piece, serged all around in red. The
woman who made these for DD#1 chose bright colors for the printed fabrics,
but they are different. These are the bestest blankets ever! Each child has
used them, they look just as nice as when they were new. Spike and Giles
each claimed one for their own, and refuse to sleep under anything else,
including the quilts I made them!!! When it is cold, I am allowed to layer
blankets on top of the flannel blankies.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
k.net...

Old January 1st 04, 12:10 PM
Polly Esther

Thanks Wendy. I wasn't sure after I responded that "receiving blankets" are
still in use. The babies in this family are grown or nearly so. When we were
traveling this summer, I got to enjoy a lovely baby shop in Tennessee. The
price tags really took my breath away. There were some "just serged" fleece
blankies for $18. No kidding. Polly

.com...

Old January 1st 04, 01:58 PM
Bonnie

Dannielle Beitzell wrote:

Now, has anyone every used a serger to make quilts? How many projects can I
get done between now and the birth of the baby? (Don't forget how much I
have to do just for the baby as well as work/church/husband and all of that!
Plus I still sleep a lot!)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Hi Danielle,

I use the serger to make lap quilts for the nursing home and
VA Hospital. If pushed I can make 3 quilts in 2 days. This
is using the "6 Hour Quilt". You serge the front, batt and
back together in 6" sections (similar to log cabin). Then
add a binding and your finished.
I don't remember the website, maybe you could google to find
it,or try serger quilts.

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old January 1st 04, 02:22 PM
frood

We did use receiving blankets for each child, too, but those were much
smaller, and just one layer of flannel. The rectangular ones were better
than the square ones for swaddling. My children all liked being closely
swaddled when they were very young, until about 6 weeks (longer for Giles,
perhaps because she was so small), so they could sleep. You certainly can't
have enough receiving blankets! In addition to swaddling blankets, they were
used for impromptu lay baby on the floor blankets, public restroom changing
table covers, bibs, sun shades...!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

link.net...

Old January 1st 04, 03:50 PM
NoMoreSpam

you came through Tennessee and did not stop at my house????

Christina

Polly Esther wrote:

Thanks Wendy. I wasn't sure after I responded that "receiving blankets" are
still in use. The babies in this family are grown or nearly so. When we were
traveling this summer, I got to enjoy a lovely baby shop in Tennessee. The
price tags really took my breath away. There were some "just serged" fleece
blankies for $18. No kidding. Polly

"frood" wrote in message
.com...

I have 2 flannel blankets made almost this same way - printed flannel for
one piece, plain white for the other piece, serged all around in red. The
woman who made these for DD#1 chose bright colors for the printed fabrics,
but they are different. These are the bestest blankets ever! Each child

has

used them, they look just as nice as when they were new. Spike and Giles
each claimed one for their own, and refuse to sleep under anything else,
including the quilts I made them!!! When it is cold, I am allowed to layer
blankets on top of the flannel blankies.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
ink.net...

Old January 1st 04, 03:54 PM
NoMoreSpam

My babies all slept under blankets I made like this except I did not
have a serger. Every baby should have at least one.

Christina