All you applique experts...

Old October 6th 03, 04:37 PM
Lynne Van

Default All you applique experts...

I need your advice...or at least my sister does.

DS made a wonderful quilt involving both piecing and appliqué.
Each block had certain of the elements pieced together, then a
few little appliqué bits were added to the pieced block. It's a
lovely quilt, one of her best so far. She sent it out to be
machine basted (first time she's tried that) and when it came
back she found that the machine needling had dislodged some of
the needle-turned edges.

Then, when she puts it into he q-snap frame for hand-quilting,
she finds that stretching further dislodges more of the
appliqués. The silk thread holds, but the edges pop up. So she
has to repair many of the appliqués as she goes.

She wonders how else she might have done this, to avoid these
problems.

Any hints??

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto
Old October 6th 03, 07:26 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article , Lynne Van
wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that the edges she turned under are popping out? If so,
than she likely had insufficient fabric on her applique seam allowances.
Lots of people do this and discover after washing and such that there's
a problem. Is seems like smaller would be better, but really closer to
1/4 than 1/8 is better in the long run. Also, how big are her applique
stitches? More than 1/4 inch apart, less than?

marcella
Old October 7th 03, 11:51 AM
georg

Lynne Van wrote:

Then, when she puts it into he q-snap frame for hand-quilting,
she finds that stretching further dislodges more of the
appliqués. The silk thread holds, but the edges pop up. So she
has to repair many of the appliqués as she goes.

Stretching??

Tell her to loosen the tension on those Q-snaps! You don't have to quilt
off a drum. The looser tension will help.

I do agree with the others about tinier stitches though.

-georg

Old October 7th 03, 02:35 PM
Julia in MN

I'm certainly no applique expert, but I suspect the fiber content and
firmness of the applique fabric makes a difference. It seems to me that
the edges appliques of cotton/poly blends might be more likely to try to
pop out. Appliques of firmly woven cotton would probably stay down
better than more loosely woven fabrics.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old October 7th 03, 03:23 PM
Lynne Van

Thanks, Patti.

Cheers,

lynne in Toronto

Patti wrote:

Hullo Lynne
I'm not an expert; but from what I have gathered over the years, this is
probably due to the fact that the appliqué stitches are too far apart.
They should really be very, very close, if the quilt is going to have
any sort of wear at all - ie not just a wall hanging.
.
In article , Lynne Van
writes

--