A cheap trick

Old September 23rd 03, 04:23 AM
Polly Esther

Default A cheap trick

I've never given a design board much thought. I've been playing with stars
of many patterns, just toying with the notion of putting them together for a
Christmas tree skirt.
I had a big, thin box that a picture frame was shipped in. I stood the
box in a chair, tossed a piece of nylon fleecy stuff that I use to cover the
SM over the box. Aha! A design board ? ? ? Well. Son-of-a-gun. The quilt
blocks stick. The costs - nearly nothing. And I can get it all out of the
way or out of sight in a flash.
The nylon fleecy stuff, I realize, may be one of our technical terms
that only we understand but I am meaning the $1 yard stuff at Wally that may
have been intended for nightgowns.
The usefulness of having a design board never was very important to me
until now. Being able to view and enjoy and ponder squares standing upright
and at a bit of a distance is just wonderful. Total cost he one fairly
big piece of cardboard and $1's worth of really cheap fleece. I hope you'll
try it. Polly

Old September 23rd 03, 06:18 AM
nzl*

tis so much like our Polly Esther to find a 'cheap trick' like that, lol.
sorry, just had to toss that in the soup.
i've got something similar on table in front of my sewing machine. a big old
piece of heavy duty cardboard and a scrap piece of white flannel i ran
across a long time ago. its perfect for the same thing. perusing those new
blocks. i love mine too.
well done, Polly.
jeanne*

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old September 23rd 03, 08:26 AM
Patti

Certainly will Polly - I have just the piece of board lying under the
bed at the moment - never thought of using it for that. I usually rely
on drawing, and have never really 'done' a design wall, but I can see
how it could be a great design tool with a few of my up-coming things.
Thanks.
..
In article .net,
Polly Esther writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 23rd 03, 12:44 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

I took this a step further and made a "pillow case", so the box will fold
flat, voila, (a portable solution for blocks to and from class, to and from
room to room) then a piece of elastic over the whole thing to store unsewn
blocks....I even made a flap that folds over like a briefcase...I love it
and use it a lot for taking blocks to class to demo construction sequence
and for when I am interrupted while piecing no escaping pieces!.
link.net...

Old September 23rd 03, 01:13 PM
Polly Esther

One of my stars didn't exactly turn out right. I didn't place the colors of
the triangles according to plan. Now I either have a flag for the newly
formed nation of Wazzagobolla - or it might be a signal flag for a sail
boat. Polly

CHARLES MURPHY wrote

Old September 23rd 03, 03:39 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

Polly, I used a sheet of foam core board as a portable design board when
I was playing with watercolour squares - I could sit in front of the TV
and play with the squares. When it was time to sew them into strips, I
used an acrylic book stand to hold the board upright at the sewing
machine so that I didn't loose my place.
Jennifer in Ottawa

-----------
From: (Polly=A0Esther)
I've never given a design board much thought. I've been playing with
stars of many patterns, just toying with the notion of putting them
together for a Christmas tree skirt.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I had a big, thin box that a picture frame was
shipped in. I stood the box in a chair, tossed a piece of nylon fleecy
stuff that I use to cover the SM over the box. Aha! A design board ? ? ?
Well. Son-of-a-gun. The quilt blocks stick. The costs - nearly nothing.
And I can get it all out of the way or out of sight in a flash.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The nylon fleecy stuff, I realize, may be one of
our technical terms that only we understand but I am meaning the $1 yard
stuff at Wally that may have been intended for nightgowns.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The usefulness of having a design board never

Old September 23rd 03, 04:05 PM
frood

I use something similar for my kids - a piece of cardboard with W&N scraps
stapled on. Then they can play with my little 1"-2" squares that I'm sure
I'm going to do something with "someday". They have fun designing "quilts"
and it keeps them occupied for a long time!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old September 23rd 03, 05:17 PM
Butterfly

Ladies and Germs!!!!!!!!

We have a NEW QUEEN--from her own country-- safeguarded by raving
starving alligators

May we Present: Queen Polly, Queen of Wazzagobolla

May we be honored with her presence for many years to come.
Not even waitin fer Red Queen to approve of this one--the country NEEDS
its Queen.... NOW : )
Butterfly (Where is our Party Planner--we got a party to get organized
QUICK )

Old September 23rd 03, 06:36 PM
Patti

Oh Yes! Butterfly, this is highly appropriate and huge fun.
Well done for thinking of it.

Hail Queen Polly of Wazzagobolla (gosh it's going to take me ages to be
able to spell that without looking it up!!!!).
(Bending the knee and tugging a forelock over here g)
..
In article , Butterfly
writes

Old September 23rd 03, 09:13 PM
Shona in NZ

Phew Butterfly,

I am so relieved! When I read the subject line I thought you were going to
call Polly "Queen of cheap tricks."

Queen Polly, I look forward to your coronation :-)

Shona in NZ