Cabbing Trick

Old June 28th 04, 03:43 PM
Jack Schmidling

Default Cabbing Trick

Don't know if there are any cabbers here but I just discovered a real slick
tool.

The hex chuck on my Black and Decker screwdriver is a perfect fit for a 1/4"
dop.

Once the stone is nearly to form, I stick the dop in the driver, fire it up
and rock it back and forth over the wheel/lap and get a perfect figure of
revolution with no flats or warts.

I was going to get a small chuck and machine it to fit but on impulse, just
stuck the dop in and voila!

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Old June 29th 04, 06:35 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Li"

Neat tip. I'll have to try that one out. What speed did you set the

screw
driver on?

It only has one speed (painfully slow for screwing) but it is best to run it
in the direction opposite the turning of the lap or wheel.

js

Old June 30th 04, 02:25 AM
pochino

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

"Li"
Neat tip. I'll have to try that one out. What speed did you set the

screw
driver on?

It only has one speed (painfully slow for screwing) but it is best to
run it in the direction opposite the turning of the lap or wheel.

Any tips on doing an oval?

I use the battery drill a lot as a hand lathe kind of device. Like, filing
the ends of tube rivets: file roughly a taper on one end of a copper rod
so the rivet jams onto it, then spin it against a file.

Brian

--
B r i a n A d a m
e y e g l a s s e s j e w e l l e r y
Old June 30th 04, 06:40 AM
Jack Schmidling

"pochino"

Any tips on doing an oval?

I gather by the smiley that you assume one can only do round but this is not
true at all.

Because you are hand holding it, you can do any surface of revolution you
want but you have to rough to the shape first. It will then act as a cam
follower and follow the shape. Perfect ovals are as easy as rounds.

js

Clever kiln trick jk Glass 1 September 9th 04 09:00 PM
OT April Fool's Day trick Dr. Sooz Beads 2 April 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Trick to Setting Stones In Stamped Bezels? Dale Jewelry 5 October 16th 03 10:51 AM