OT - New Toy

Old June 27th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OT - New Toy

So, we got a new toy. After my everyday printer stopped working about 2
months ago, and my many attempts to clean the heads, finally coming down to
we'll have to take the machine apart (have instructions) and try to clean
the tiny tubes with a syringe and solution, and then hope....we gave in.
Yes, I have a very nice graphics printer which does lovely things and can
handle watercolour type paper, and goes up to 13" X 19", plus virtually
infinite length banners. However, I don't like running it for everything.
And the newer "old" printer had a scanner.

Hooray - I took DH with me looking for the "try to fix the old printer"
supplies, and we browsed printers. About 10 days ago. Then I got a sale
thing from Epson. And then went to Microcenter and looked. We had seen
this really nice new all-in-one at Staples - 1 model down IIRC from what we
got. DH is very concerned that we should start scanning in the old family
photo archives. Well, found this all-in-one with 4800 dpi scanning -
ultra-hi-def. Amazingly - comes up with the big sale at Epson (25% off, and
free shipping). It's got great toy features - and we rationalize that
either we buy this now - on our tight budget - or buy something cheap for in
the meantime, and still end up getting this in a few months. So, we took
the plunge.

Why is this so interesting - well the hi-def scanning. Plus this thing came
with Photo editing software - most intriguing, it has built in capability
for doing photo restoration when you're in the process of scanning in old
photos. Plus a bunch of other artsy stuff - and has a tray for printing on
CDs. And a stand alone fax.

Anyhow - I spent a few hours getting part of the office cleaned, and
crawling under the desk, un-snaking & then snaking cables, even put a new
surge suppressor on the printers wall. So, I'm very excited to exercise some
of this things capabilities. And finally, I can just print or photocopy or
fax stuff - woohoo.

ellice

Old June 27th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 6/26/09 10:18 PM, "ellice" wrote:

[...]

With incredibly bad netiquette, symptomatic of my quickly fading memory - I
forgot to mention 3 things. This new toy, epson Artisan 800. Also, has a
function that will turn a photo into a line drawing (coloring book) -
fabulous for helping with some design stuff. 3rd thing - DH had me treat
myself to new Daylight Ultimate lamp (literally at half price). Now, to
find a home in the house for it. I'm now inundated with Daylight lamps -
last year I got the artist professional long tube one that goes on my big
easel or drafting table ( I asked shop owner to check the price while at
Nashville- she came back with it - so I couldn't not take it). Now this
one. I think my little Ott light is feeling outnumbered.

Ellice

Old June 27th 09, 10:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/26/09 11:49 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

[...]

I am so envious. I have the one Ott and DD and I want to clean up the
basement for a "messy craft" area. AKA the painting, the beads. Nothing too
fancy, just tables and lighting and something to sit on...

Old June 27th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

[...]

Well, don't be too jealous - I still have the dust dragons to clean - and
other stuff to organize.

Ellice

Old June 28th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

But a second "daylight" type light would be so nice. DH is currently using
mine as a reading lamp (you'd like what he's reading, "Unholy Business",
archeology and fraud in the Holy Land)

Cheryl

Old June 28th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

[...]

Ah, well - I have a "daylight spectrum" desk lamp for reading in the
bedroom. Costco had one, so I bought it. Got one for the Goddaughter to
schlep with her to MIT as well. My handle-carrying Ott lite moves around the
house. The Daylight that is the "professional" one - it has to stay affixed
to the drafting table or I'll take it to the big easel when it's up again.
It's really an artist's light. I am pretty excited about the big standing
one. Also because it has the magnifier, and when I use the floor stand, my
little magnifier is too short a neck to reach to where I need it usually,
and this one on the lamp will help.

The book sounds interesting. I just returned and interesting book called
"Diaspora" - a bit academic, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

Ellice

Old June 28th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

On 6/27/09 5:59 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 6/26/09 11:49 PM, in article ,
"ellice"
wrote:

[...]

Every so often, the local "Big Lots" has daylight type lamps and I'm buying
several next time. One for next to the chair up stairs, one for each child
and one for where I decide....

The book sounds interesting. I just returned and interesting book called
"Diaspora" - a bit academic, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

Ellice

I've just gotten "Unholy Business from DH's hot hands. He was bored by it...

Old June 30th 09, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

With so many add-ons bonus things with printers, sometimes hard
to know to pick one for the printer specs or the extras. I just swapped
out one of the Brother mono laser printer for a Samsung Colour
laser printer. I did kept the better Brother mono laser printer, but
the software included with both are very different. Does make it
a little confusing when in a rush. LOL

At least, the inkjets are both Canon so software is generally the same.
Main difference in them is one has the scanner while the other is a
high-quality photo printer with double-side printing feature [printer
turns paper].

Only thing is the price of replacement inks, can get the cheaper ones
but then they are half ink level of the pricey ones, then I have had
times that it was cheaper to buy new printer than replace inks. Did
that for the scanner printer last month, almost half price of new ink.

Yes, I do have 4 printers on the main system. Also 2 drawing tablets;
extra lightscribe burner; 5.1 sound system; 2 external Terabyte+
hard-drives; and a few other toys.

Old June 30th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 6/30/09 4:01 AM, "J. H. T./B.D.P." wrote:

With so many add-ons bonus things with printers, sometimes hard
to know to pick one for the printer specs or the extras. I just swapped
out one of the Brother mono laser printer for a Samsung Colour
laser printer. I did kept the better Brother mono laser printer, but
the software included with both are very different. Does make it
a little confusing when in a rush. LOL

I can see this. We picked this printer for the specs - love this 4800 dpi
scan. And I needed a fax besides going thru the computer.

At least, the inkjets are both Canon so software is generally the same.
Main difference in them is one has the scanner while the other is a
high-quality photo printer with double-side printing feature [printer
turns paper].

I love that double sided printing feature if doing a lot. I have to buy the
duplexing tray for this Artisan, and will do that once it looks like there
is reason for it. I seem to be living in Epson world here, and it's just
the matter of downloading the specific drivers for each of the printers. We
also have a specific photo printer - a "piecture Mate" plus. It's really
handy, does only 4X6 paper, but you can have it do half-size or passport
size photos, and it will run on batteries, stand-along -reading memory
cards, or hooked up to the computer. Very good quality on the photos.

Only thing is the price of replacement inks, can get the cheaper ones
but then they are half ink level of the pricey ones, then I have had
times that it was cheaper to buy new printer than replace inks. Did
that for the scanner printer last month, almost half price of new ink.

I actually tried using Staples ink for black & color on the everyday old
printer. Forget it - the ink stopped being usable before getting to the
bottom, and the color wasn't as good. So, we suck it up and buy the true
Epson print. This one has 6 cartridges, and happily we got an extra
hi-capacity of the black as a bonus with the printer.

Yes, I do have 4 printers on the main system. Also 2 drawing tablets;
extra lightscribe burner; 5.1 sound system; 2 external Terabyte+
hard-drives; and a few other toys.

Nice toys. I'm in desperate need of a new tablet - soon, I think. And, this
week's errand - a new USB hub. The machine has a superdrive, which burns
whatever, plus we have a couple of external LaCie firewire peripherals (hot
swappable), hard drive & CD burner. It's enough - I can back-up on the
firewire drive, and this machine has more storage than I need. Next toy -
new laptop - but we're waiting a bit.

Ellice

Old July 1st 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

[...]

One of the things I found for doing duplex printing, get one that has the
separate tray. The build-in versions seem to "dry out" the lubricant in
the gears after a time and then seems to slow and drag till cleaned and
lubed again.

Only thing is the price of replacement inks, can get the cheaper ones
but then they are half ink level of the pricey ones, then I have had
times that it was cheaper to buy new printer than replace inks. Did
that for the scanner printer last month, almost half price of new ink.

I actually tried using Staples ink for black & color on the everyday old
printer. Forget it - the ink stopped being usable before getting to the
bottom, and the color wasn't as good. So, we suck it up and buy the true
Epson print. This one has 6 cartridges, and happily we got an extra
hi-capacity of the black as a bonus with the printer.

Had the same trouble with Staples ink, only printer it worked alright in
was an old canon from 5-8 years ago but not for fancy printing just the
general printing.

Yes, I do have 4 printers on the main system. Also 2 drawing tablets;
extra lightscribe burner; 5.1 sound system; 2 external Terabyte+
hard-drives; and a few other toys.

Nice toys. I'm in desperate need of a new tablet - soon, I think. And,
this
week's errand - a new USB hub. The machine has a superdrive, which burns
whatever, plus we have a couple of external LaCie firewire peripherals
(hot
swappable), hard drive & CD burner. It's enough - I can back-up on the
firewire drive, and this machine has more storage than I need. Next
toy -
new laptop - but we're waiting a bit.

I have small Wacom Graphire 4 is thick and very small in the drawing area,
don't use it much since I got late last year a larger Genius G-Pen F610. It
is
nice when using the Windows mouse/pen functions, the outer ring has pre-set
functions and programmable places of common Windows or program actions.
Mine has drawing area of 6 x 10 inches while there are both larger and
smaller
versions, with this just place picture under the cover then trace, erase,
and
colour your work.

Something from the same company I have is the G-Note 7100, it is a full-size
notepad that can store all your writings/drawings in all the colours [blue
and
black included, other colours extra]. Just have to transfer pad pages with
usb
cable, usage samples a 1) use pre-printed pages and just fill in blanks;
2) sign-in record sheets; or 3) normal meeting notes but nicely
transferrable
[even includes general version of program to read writing and converts].

Ellice