Raku Kiln Construction

Old October 25th 03, 08:54 PM
mark

Default Raku Kiln Construction

I would like to build my own kiln to use for Raku pottery.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any plans for one???
Any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thanks....

Old October 25th 03, 10:07 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:54:03 GMT, mark wrote:

I would like to build my own kiln to use for Raku pottery.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any plans for one???
Any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thanks....

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Raku: A Practical Approach by
Steven Branfman and/or Raku Pottery by Piepenburg. Both include
plans.

deg
Old October 26th 03, 02:07 AM
Christopher

"Dave {Reply Address in.sig}" wrote in message
In message , mark wrote:

I would like to build my own kiln to use for Raku pottery.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any plans for one???
Any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thanks....

We've had success with Durox blocks. No need for fire cement or anything
like that. The size of kiln we used needed two burners to achieve a decent
temperature so it's not going to be as thermally efficient as some, but it
would get to 950C fairly easily.

http://www.ozonelouise.com/kiln250602a.jpg and
http://www.ozonelouise.com/kiln250602b.jpg

for a couple of pictures. It was easy to drill a hole for a thermocouple
(also visible in the second pic). Inside are three firebricks with a kiln
shelf on top. The burners can be seen going in low at the bottom, adjust
the gap between the two blocks forming the lid to give good burner
performance and airflow.

The kiln in the picture has survived numerous firings so far, the inner
surface of the blocks does degrade, especially those in the direct heat,
but it's still there and still works over a year later.

Dave
--
mail: da (without the space)
http://www.llondel.org/

Dave that 's a neat kiln I think that I would like to try something

similar but for reduction tell me some more about the Durox blocks cost and
where to acquire
Amber

Old October 26th 03, 07:04 PM
Slgraber

a bunch of us here in southern california are using the "portable" raku kilns
and propane gas burners. a metal frame with cloth insulation - burner with
flex line to the 5 gallon bar-b-q proane tank. they are light weight and
travel well to various "raku party" sites.

we make the kilns from basically a chicken wire screen and line the inside with
the fiber cloth you can usually buy at your pottery supplier. the cloth is
held up inside the metal fencing via bisqueware buttons. the buttons are held
to the frame with nichrome wire. cut a small hole in the side and a small hole
on top somewhere. the burner shoots in the side, and the top is the low budget
flew hole.

put it on the ground and maybe have the pieces stacked on a kiln shelf. when
the pieces are ready you pick the kiln up by hand and move it aside. (really!
don't wear shorts or flip flops though...).

they work VERY well and i build mine complete for about $100 total.

see ya

steve

Subject: Raku Kiln Construction

Old October 27th 03, 07:40 AM
Steve Mills

http://www.bathpotters.co.uk follow the links for DIY Kilns and
Flatpack Kiln. Plans and information, all for free.

In article , mark
writes
I would like to build my own kiln to use for Raku pottery.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any plans for one???
Any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thanks....

--
Steve Mills
Bath
UK
Old October 27th 03, 11:40 AM
Jake Loddington

In article , Steve Mills
writes
http://www.bathpotters.co.uk follow the links for DIY Kilns and
Flatpack Kiln. Plans and information, all for free.

In article , mark
writes
I would like to build my own kiln to use for Raku pottery.
Would like to know if anyone out there has any plans for one???
Any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thanks....

Yes indeed! I followed Steve's recommendations and built a small kiln,
but I used an old stainless steel beer barrel instead of an oil drum.
(Look round the back of any pub: there's usually a heap of empty
barrels, of all sizes.)

Best of luck

Jake Loddington, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancs. UK