Carol Doak's Paper-Pieced Stars

Old January 10th 04, 03:37 AM
M. Wetmore

Default Carol Doak's Paper-Pieced Stars

Hi All:

I decided that I want to do 12 of these stars for my BOM. But, I'm
having a really hard time getting started. Since I plan on making a
quilt out of the blocks, I need something that is unifying to tie them
together into a quilt.

I remember, some time ago, someone posting a picture of a quilt they
did using these patterns. Does anyone have the url?

Carol's book doesn't really have any pictures of quilts created from
the blocks other than the cover that shows them all with a black
sashing between the blocks.

I think that I need to have something to unify all the blocks like a
neutral background and a dark colored sashing. The blocks are not
really designed to be sewn together, they need something to set them
apart. I thought I would put them all on-point with sashing and
setting triangles. But, I'm kind of stumped on what to do to unify
them all.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old January 10th 04, 05:34 AM
cozy

whatever your color scheme is, like for instance, say it was purples and
blues and gold prints, you would just find a fabric that was either a solid
of one of those or a dark value print that was in harmony with one. There
is no one answer for what to buy, because what you need to bring it together
will be found in the fabrics you are using for the stars. You also don't
have to use plain muslin in the background, you could go for a white on
white fabric or a fabric that has very light pattern that will go with the
other colors. The picture on the front of that book, looks more like it
was done as a sampler with no theme color, but you don't have to approach it
like that. You will find it meshes together just find when you choose your
color group. For instance, look at that picture and imagine picking the
color scheme from just _one_ of those stars. You could use the same exact
material in every star, or materials with the same color value and try to
repeat one color in each block so there is a thread of the same look running
thru the blocks. In the stars from stripes class I took, you bought border
fabric (do they still make that?) and used the same fabric for all the
stars! But they looked very different even though it was the exact same
patter, because you placed the pattern on the fabric in different spots each
time you cut it out - but because it all came from the same border print, it
was so co-ordinated. Don't be afraid to ask them to help you at the quilt
shop, they are used to pulling colors!

Old January 10th 04, 06:03 AM
nzl*

http://www.ipns.com/ryan/index.html
theres all 50 state stars paper pieced from carol doaks patterns on ryans
site.
aint they just gorgeous!! ahhhh, ya clever wee lad, ryan!!!!!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"M. Wetmore" wrote...

Old January 10th 04, 03:18 PM
Helen in MN

I love all the blocks done- wish I had a color printer and I'd copy them and
put them in my book (a Christmas present from my sister)
I'm thinking I will pick a main fabric and use it somewhere in each star so
that they have something in common.

Helen in MN

Old January 10th 04, 04:05 PM
Queen of Squishies

That quilt always makes me just go into a gaze daze..........
ahhhh........

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 10th 04, 07:14 PM
Pati Cook

Try using a common "set" of fabrics. Find several that all go together, and use
the same fabrics in several of the blocks. Not necessarily the same group in
two blocks, but fabric "a" from block 1 in block 3, fabric "b" in block 5 and so
on. And any sampler is pulled together with a coordinating sashing/setting
fabric and border that has all (or most of ) the colors in it.

good luck,
Pati, in Phx

Old January 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Martha in IN

Hey Mardi, I'm really glad you asked this question 'cause I've wondered the
same thing. Have wanted to give it a try, but didn't/couldn't decide how to
go about it.
Martha, waiting for wonderful answers to Mardi's question G

Old January 10th 04, 09:07 PM
M. Wetmore

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:03:57 +1300, "nzl*"
wrote:

http://www.ipns.com/ryan/index.html
theres all 50 state stars paper pieced from carol doaks patterns on ryans
site.
aint they just gorgeous!! ahhhh, ya clever wee lad, ryan!!!!!
jeanne

Hi Jeanne:

That's the site I was thinking about. But I thought he had put them
into a quilt.

Old January 10th 04, 09:11 PM
M. Wetmore

I am going to do it as a sampler. I want to use my moda marbles so I
decided to use them plus one "focus" fabric for each star.

I was thinking about making all the backgrounds kind of on the light
side and then using a black tone-on-tone fabric or a black moda for
the sashing and/or filler blocks if I do it on-point.

How does that sound?

Today I picked out four fabrics for my first block, but as usual, they
were all very bright colors. I then got to thinking if I did that one
block in hot colors, I probably would need to do them all in hot
colors and I'm not sure I'm ready for that. So, I will go back to my
stash and find a different focus fabric.

Mardi

Old January 10th 04, 10:42 PM
Queen of Squishies

He did, you just have to click on the link from that page she posted for us.

Karen, Queen of Squishies