Identification of moissanite

Old October 19th 04, 03:25 AM
George Hamilton

Default Identification of moissanite

It is my understanding that the easiest way to identify a moissanite
stone is by its double refraction. Place the stone on a ruled ink
line on paper and look for the double image. Is this correct? (along
with other characteristics of course).

George Hamilton
www.explorationgeologist.com
Old October 19th 04, 04:16 PM
Wooding

Well, that would work if you had a slab of the stuff, but its not too easy
for a mounted stone.
Use a 10x loupe and examine the edges of the back facets through the table.
The effect is not very pronounced, but is more obvious with big stones. The
best way is to compare a moissanite with a similar sized diamond. For the
diamond, the edges will look sharp and clear, but for the moissanite they
will appear slightly blurred. When you get the hang of it you will see that
the fuzziness is really double lines very close together.
An electronic tester will give a more authoritive identification.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
To reply, change 'feet' to 'foot' in my address)

Old October 19th 04, 04:16 PM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Or, examine pavilion facets with a loupe loking through the stone.
Similar to zircon, you'll likely see doubled facet edge lines. Or the
Hogkinson (sp?) gem optics technique is to hild the gem as closely as
possible to the eye and look for doubled spectra. Also, while close,
moisanite;s SG is different enough that an accurate measurent should
seperate it from diamond.

check www.gemsociety.org and www.yourgemologist.com for tables of
diamond simulants and their charcteristics.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

George Hamilton wrote:
It is my understanding that the easiest way to identify a moissanite
stone is by its double refraction. Place the stone on a ruled ink
line on paper and look for the double image. Is this correct? (along
with other characteristics of course).

George Hamilton
www.explorationgeologist.com

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old October 20th 04, 02:36 AM
Bart Z. Lederman

You should also visit

http://www.scotgem.demon.co.uk/

and look for the article Moissanite by Alan Hodgkinson

This seems to cover pretty much all of the ways to test,
some of which are quite simple.

--
B. Z. Lederman Personal Opinions Only

Posting to a News group does NOT give anyone permission
to send me advertising by E-mail or put me on a mailing
list of any kind.

Please remove the "DISABLE-JUNK-EMAIL" if you have a
legitimate reason to E-mail a response to this post.
Old October 21st 04, 05:50 AM
Jack Schmidling

Reading all this info on moissanite leaves me drooling for a piece of
rough to cut. 15 minutes of googling leads me to believe that it is
not available in uncut rough. Is this true?

js