Blanket stitch (handmade or machine-made)

Old June 12th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Blanket stitch (handmade or machine-made)

In my meanderings on eBay, I've found numerous handmade tote bags which are
decorated with blanket stitches. In each instance, the stitching is so
perfect that one wonders if it is done by hand or machine, but I am not
aware of a sewing machine capable of producing blanket stitches, and the
stitching has a much more prominent (heavier?) appearance than ordinary
machine stitching, as if more than one thread was used. Is there such a
machine on the market? I very likely will not be able to afford it. My old
clunker will probably have to keep me happy for a long time.

Betty in GA

Old June 12th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

It's probably an industrial machine -- there are industrial machines
specialized for everything you can possibly imagine, I think -- and you
probably would not be able to afford it.

Old June 13th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
"Betty Vereen Hill" wrote:

In my meanderings on eBay, I've found numerous handmade tote bags which are
decorated with blanket stitches. In each instance, the stitching is so
perfect that one wonders if it is done by hand or machine, but I am not
aware of a sewing machine capable of producing blanket stitches, and the
stitching has a much more prominent (heavier?) appearance than ordinary
machine stitching, as if more than one thread was used. Is there such a
machine on the market? I very likely will not be able to afford it. My old
clunker will probably have to keep me happy for a long time.

Betty in GA

Yes indeed. The Berninas do wonderful blanket stitches... the 200e or
730e Artistas. IIRC, only the 9mm Bernies do a really great blanket
stitch. And I think that the 1630 was the first 9 mm Bernina but I am
not sure if it had a blanket stitch or not (it likely did). The 1630s
have a track ball and the newer machines have a touch screen. I use my
blanket stitches a lot. There are several variations, light to heavy,
and each of them can be altered. I did a butterfly applique on a knit
shirt recently and configured a very small and narrow blanket stitch for
it. The applique came out really great. It's also great on fleece
where you can make a full 9 mm wide stitch if you want. And it may be
that with directional stitching, you can go even wider than that but I
have not done that yet. 9 mm seems plenty wide enough for me.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)
Old June 13th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

"Phaedrine" wrote in message
In article ,
"Betty Vereen Hill" wrote:

[...]

Isn't the blanket stitch on a home machine produced with two threads?
I thought the OP was referring to a conventional blanket stitch of the sort
made with a single needle and thread. I've wondered what kind of machine
might produce such a stitch. I can't imagine a bunch of needle weilding
seamstresses at the Pendleton factory, for example, making such a precise
blanket stitch by hand on the masses of beautiful and expensive blankets
produced by the company. I've examined them and they appear to be a single
strand, not two. How do they do it?

Max

Old June 13th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

"Max Penn" wrote in message

"Phaedrine" wrote in message
In article ,
"Betty Vereen Hill" wrote:

[...]

You have gotten right to the crux of my quandary about the blanket stitching
I've seen, which is done so perfectly and so uniformly that, in each
instance, it defies logic that it might have been accomplished by hand. And
the stitching shows so prominently on the various finished pieces I've seen
that I had to conclude that more than a single strand of thread was used to
produce each stitch. Granted, the pieces in question were not the fabulous
Pendleton blankets, but were in fact primarily tote bags decorated with
blanket stitching in strategic areas on the totes. We all know what a
single machine-sewn thread looks like, and the blanket stitches were far
more robust than that which would be produced by a single strand of thread.
Now that suggestions have been made about machines which can produce blanket
stitching, I am even more intrigued about how more than one thread is
utilized in the machine to produce the heavy blanket stitch.

Many thanks to all who have offered suggestions and guidance.

Betty in GA

Old June 13th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In my meanderings on eBay, I've found numerous handmade tote bags which are
decorated with blanket stitches. In each instance, the stitching is so
perfect that one wonders if it is done by hand or machine, but I am not
aware of a sewing machine capable of producing blanket stitches, and the
stitching has a much more prominent (heavier?) appearance than ordinary
machine stitching, as if more than one thread was used. Is there such a
machine on the market? I very likely will not be able to afford it. My old
clunker will probably have to keep me happy for a long time.

The industrial version I've seen in operation is called a Merrow Crochet
machine -- I believe I heard a home version was out, but I'm not sure of that.
http://www.merrow.com/crochet/crochet.htm

Got a serger? Try a mock blanket:
http://www.sewvac1.com/Library/sergingtips.htm
http://www.ylicorp.com/Newsletter.html

I've also programmed my sewing machine for a combination of (several zigzag
stitches, W 6.0, L 0.0, followed by a 2-3 triple straight stitches in the
far right needle position,) repeat ad infinitum for a mock blanket stitch
that looks pretty good.

Kay

Old June 13th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
wrote:

We all know what a
single machine-sewn thread looks like, and the blanket stitches were far
more robust than that which would be produced by a single strand of thread.

Yes, we all know what a single stitched thread looks like but you are
thinking unidimensionally in terms of old technology. The Bernina
has 4 different blanket stitches. Two are for light to medium weight
fabrics. The other two are for medium to heavy weight fabrics. The
lighter ones are meant for applique. The heavy ones do a total of 5
stitches for each stitch, making it very bold and dense like like the
best blanket stitching you've ever seen. With the exception of blanket
stitching with yarns, I can't imagine anyone wanting a blanket stitch
that is bolder, neater, infinitely adjustable within the 9 mm
parameters, or more professional looking.

Phae

Old June 14th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:28:50 -0400, wrote:

which is done so perfectly and so uniformly that, in each
instance, it defies logic that it might have been accomplished by hand.

If you get another chance to examine the tote bags, take a magnifying
glass with you and check to see whether the stitches are worked
between the threads of the fabric, leaving a uniform number of threads
between stitches.

Nowadays we insert irregularities into work in order to make it look
"hand made", but this hasn't always been the case. Skilled workers
learn various tricks -- such as using the threads as a guide -- and if
you do something all day every day, your work just naturally tends to
get more uniform because it's easier to make the stitches all alike.

Nor can I see why you think multiple-strand thread suggests that the
work was not done by machine. I machine-sew with a double thread all
the time -- I use a double thread in the bobbin for nearly all machine
basting, because it's easier to pull out, and I'll thread the machine
as for twin needles and put both threads through the same needle when
I want conspicuous top stitching -- or when I need 80/6 or 100/6
thread and all I have is 50/3.

There is nothing difficult about designing a machine to use a heavier
thread than will run through the tension disks of a domestic machine,
and multiple-worker factories tend to have a special machine for every
job, rather than doing all jobs with one style of machine as people do
at home.

(Later in the thread, it has been pointed out that machines also get
the multiple-strand look by stitching back and forth.)

wants to pay the price of hand embroidery.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old June 14th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

In article ,
Joy Beeson wrote:

There is nothing difficult about designing a machine to use a heavier
thread than will run through the tension disks of a domestic machine,
and multiple-worker factories tend to have a special machine for every
job, rather than doing all jobs with one style of machine as people do
at home.

There's also additional possibilities with heavier bobbin threads.

Old June 14th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

"Joy Beeson" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:28:50 -0400, wrote:

which is done so perfectly and so uniformly that, in each
instance, it defies logic that it might have been accomplished by hand.

If you get another chance to examine the tote bags, take a magnifying
glass with you and check to see whether the stitches are worked
between the threads of the fabric, leaving a uniform number of threads
between stitches.

If only I could examine the totes with the blanket stitches - in each
instance,
the totes were being auctioned on eBay, and a photo simply doesn't
provide enough closeness for the viewer to be able to discern such detail.

Nowadays we insert irregularities into work in order to make it look
"hand made", but this hasn't always been the case. Skilled workers
learn various tricks -- such as using the threads as a guide -- and if
you do something all day every day, your work just naturally tends to
get more uniform because it's easier to make the stitches all alike.

Nor can I see why you think multiple-strand thread suggests that the
work was not done by machine. I machine-sew with a double thread all
the time -- I use a double thread in the bobbin for nearly all machine
basting, because it's easier to pull out, and I'll thread the machine
as for twin needles and put both threads through the same needle when
I want conspicuous top stitching -- or when I need 80/6 or 100/6
thread and all I have is 50/3.

Joy, I know how to thread my machine for twin needles, but for the life of
me,
I can't comprehend how one uses double threads in the bobbin. The mind
reels, LOL. Would you please enlighten me? Thanks for the tips.

Betty

kmskuba sewing machinery Quilting 0 March 28th 06 02:57 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Beads 0 March 27th 06 03:27 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Beads 0 March 27th 06 03:26 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Sewing 0 March 20th 06 11:17 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM