Pillowcases - How To Alter Size?

Old July 3rd 05, 11:19 PM
Candide

Default Pillowcases - How To Alter Size?

Greetings gang!

Novice getting back into sewing after not having touched a machine in
years. Must have been those home economic classes back at school with
all those aprons and pull on skirts which turned me off! *LOL*

Any who, have just landed an older Pfaff 1222 and am chomping at the bit
for small simple projects to do.

Sitting in my linen press are some NIB pillowcases which are king sized,
though our beds take standard (they are lovely and were on sale, sadly
the shop didn't have standard, so nabbed the king sized instead). Since
am starting off my re-entry into sewing by tackling some of the long put
off mending and altering of household linens, think this would be an
excellent project to start off with. Problem is one is not exactly sure
how to go about it. The pillowcases are made the standard way of one
folded edge, and two serged/overlocked seams on the sides. IIRC my Pfaff
does have various zig-zag stitches, and may even do a blindhem (if one
can find the required foot), but would like some pointers.

Thanks all, Happy Holiday weekend!

Candide

Old July 4th 05, 03:07 AM
Linda Sweigart

As far as I know king-size pillow cases only differ from standard size by
the length. So, you could probably just turn them inside out and shorten
then from the bottom sewn end.

Linda

Old July 4th 05, 03:42 AM
Candide

"Linda Sweigart" wrote in message
newsR0ye.7893$vE5.6875@trndny07...
As far as I know king-size pillow cases only differ from standard size

by
the length. So, you could probably just turn them inside out and

shorten
then from the bottom sewn end.

Linda

Thanks for the tips everyone. Yes, king pillowcases are 10 inches longer
than standard (1/3 yard), so will just shorten and finish with a strong
hem then over stitch/zig zag the edge. My Pfaff is one of the older
models which does not take the snap on blind stitch foot, so until I can
find the real thing will have to make do. Of course if one had a serger
this would be a snap, but baby steps first!

Thanks again gang!

Candide

Old July 6th 05, 01:15 AM
Pat in Virginia

Candide:
You will really enjoy the Pfaff 1222; I speak from experience! Bought
one in about 1983; treaded up for another Pfaff about 1998. Excellent
machines, both. You don't need the blind stitch foot if you shorten it
at the closed edge not the open end. Just turn the case out, mark the
line parallel to the closed edge, straight stitch, then zig zag to
reinforce, then cut off the excess. IIRC, you MIGHT be able to replace
the whole ankle (?) part with the snap on version; ask at reliable Pfaff
Dealer. Clear as mud?
HTH. PAT & Pfilomina Pfaff

Old July 6th 05, 04:56 AM
Candide

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Candide:
You will really enjoy the Pfaff 1222; I speak from experience! Bought
one in about 1983; treaded up for another Pfaff about 1998. Excellent
machines, both. You don't need the blind stitch foot if you shorten it
at the closed edge not the open end. Just turn the case out, mark the
line parallel to the closed edge, straight stitch, then zig zag to
reinforce, then cut off the excess. IIRC, you MIGHT be able to replace
the whole ankle (?) part with the snap on version; ask at reliable

Pfaff
Dealer. Clear as mud?
HTH. PAT & Pfilomina Pfaff

Thank you for such great advice, Pat!

Actually the cases have a fold on the "closed" edge, so will be creating
a seam where none existed before, but still the process outlined by you
is the same.

My machine is actually the 1209, which for all purposes is the same as
the 1222 except only have 5 stitch buttons instead of 10. This is no big
deal as I can live without the 5 ornamental stitches. My machine came
with several feet, and comparing some to those pictured in a Singer
sewing book, think have the blind hem foot after all. Since my Pfaff
didn't come with a manual, and the one I ordered hasn't arrived yet,
will have to keep guessing.

The Pfaff 12 series has a devoted following, which explains why after
over 10 years since their last production, used models still go for
$$$. I'm on the look out for another 1222 or maybe a 1229, just to have
a spare on hand! *Wink*.

Looking forward to chatting and sharing projects with those in the
group,

Candide

Old July 7th 05, 03:11 PM
joy beeson

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:19:49 GMT, "Candide"
wrote:

Sitting in my linen press are some NIB pillowcases which are king sized,
though our beds take standard

I'd use them as-is, and luxuriate in the extra fabric.

But if it bugs you, all you have to do is to turn the case
inside out, mark a line where you want the bottom to be, and
stitch along the line. If it won't lie flat for you to draw
the line, press it. If you really want to subdue it, starch
it. (A new pillowcase will be quite stiff enough -- but
wash it first, in case it shrinks.)

Straight stitch is fine, but zig-zag and whatnot won't hurt
anything if you need the practice. (Well, ornamental
stitches might hurt if you make the stitches too small --
close perforations weaken fabric. I use a 2.5 mm straight
stitch to make pillowcases.)

Then cut about half an inch from the stitching. You can use
pinking shears if you have them, but I cut all my pillowcase
seams straight -- on a drawn thread, but that doesn't work
with pre-made pillowcases -- and they don't fray a bit. A
pinked edge is prettier, but nobody will see it, not even
you.

Since this is your first effort after a long lay-off, it
might be well to draw both the stitching line and the
cutting line. The wash-out marker was a *wonderful*
invention -- use it freely on stuff that is going to be
washed hard and often.

(But test on a scrap before using it on a posh frock, and
keep it to places that won't show if it gets ironed in or
bleeds through to the other side.)

CREATIVE CALL

If I've read the rest of this thread correctly, the OP is
going to be left with several 20" x 20" pieces of fabric
that match her pillowcases. There must be something more
interesting than furoshikis[1] to do with such squares.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

[1] Furoshiki: a square of fabric used for wrapping
things. The smaller sizes double as handkerchiefs and
bandannas.

Philosophical question. Chart size v canvas size. F.James Cripwell Needlework 8 March 19th 05 01:46 PM
Very much Need the finished measurements of Queen Size Pillowcases M. K. Gunn Sewing 5 December 13th 04 07:17 PM
Here are some christmas Patterns Enjoy Warmhands Yarn 0 November 28th 04 05:20 PM
Needle/Hook Size Kathryn Yarn 13 January 22nd 04 10:27 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM