Katherine....NFL info

Old December 15th 04, 05:46 AM
Els van Dam

Default Katherine....NFL info

Hello Katherine:

Here is the name of the place that Audrey grew up in Twilingate close to Gander.

When I spoke to her today, she told me again how much she loved the book....LOL

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old December 15th 04, 10:31 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
Hello Katherine:

Here is the name of the place that Audrey grew up in Twilingate close
to Gander.

When I spoke to her today, she told me again how much she loved the
book....LOL

Twillingate I know quite well. My parents had good friends there, and we
used to visit in the summer. But we did not know people like those in The
Shipping News. Oddly, I was talking to my brother last night, and he loved
the book, too. I guess that it would be boring if we all liked the same
things! I still see no resemblance between the Newfoundland I know and that
book. Oh, and my mother hated it. g

Katherine

Old December 16th 04, 01:04 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
Hello Katherine:

Here is the name of the place that Audrey grew up in Twilingate close
to Gander.

When I spoke to her today, she told me again how much she loved the
book....LOL

Twillingate I know quite well. My parents had good friends there, and we
used to visit in the summer. But we did not know people like those in The
Shipping News. Oddly, I was talking to my brother last night, and he loved
the book, too. I guess that it would be boring if we all liked the same
things! I still see no resemblance between the Newfoundland I know and that
book. Oh, and my mother hated it. g

Katherine

Taking all in account .... our likes and dislikes for one story or one
book or food, or even person or leader, is it not amazing that we are
doing so well, and are getting along so well....on the whole. I am alwasy
amazed when I come back to Toronto, and look at all these people in cars,
subway, busses and milling around down town, and that most of the time it
is rather orderly.....and even with smiles and good mornings.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old December 16th 04, 03:59 AM
Karen in MN

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
Hello Katherine:

Here is the name of the place that Audrey grew up in Twilingate close
to Gander.

When I spoke to her today, she told me again how much she loved the
book....LOL

Twillingate I know quite well. My parents had good friends there, and we
used to visit in the summer. But we did not know people like those in

The
Shipping News. Oddly, I was talking to my brother last night, and he

loved
the book, too. I guess that it would be boring if we all liked the same
things! I still see no resemblance between the Newfoundland I know and

that
book. Oh, and my mother hated it. g

Katherine

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie. It's been awhile ago, but I
remember thinking it looked like a really interesting and very beautiful
place. Was it filmed there?

Old December 16th 04, 05:34 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Karen in MN"
ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote:

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie. It's been awhile ago, but I
remember thinking it looked like a really interesting and very beautiful
place. Was it filmed there?

Yes I think so, I seem to remember that Judy Dench was giving an interview
and where she was talking about beeing in NewFoundLand, and how she had to
learn the dialect. But I am sure that Katherine can tell us.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old December 17th 04, 07:11 PM
Michelle

Els van Dam wrote in message
In article , "Karen in MN"
ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote:

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie. It's been awhile ago, but

remember thinking it looked like a really interesting and very beautiful
place. Was it filmed there?

Yes I think so, I seem to remember that Judy Dench was giving an interview
and where she was talking about beeing in NewFoundLand, and how she had to
learn the dialect. But I am sure that Katherine can tell us.

Els

Will I do?

Yes, at least some portions of it were filmed in the province. I remember
my former boss getting some pictures of the stars as they wandered downtown,
through his office window!

And this is the most beautiful place to live, with an incredible array of
cultures and a dialect (well, hundreds of them) all our own!

Michelle

--
Michelle in St. John's
NL, Canada

Old December 18th 04, 01:02 AM
Katherine

Karen in MN wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
Hello Katherine:

Here is the name of the place that Audrey grew up in Twilingate
close to Gander.

When I spoke to her today, she told me again how much she loved the
book....LOL

Twillingate I know quite well. My parents had good friends there,
and we used to visit in the summer. But we did not know people like
those in The Shipping News. Oddly, I was talking to my brother last
night, and he loved the book, too. I guess that it would be boring
if we all liked the same things! I still see no resemblance between
the Newfoundland I know and that book. Oh, and my mother hated it.

Katherine

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie. It's been awhile ago,
but I remember thinking it looked like a really interesting and very
beautiful place. Was it filmed there?

Yes, it was filmed in Newfoundland. And you are correct - it IS a beautiful
place. On the northern peninsula there are fiords which would rival those in
Norway. It is starkly beautiful up there. THe west coast is rolling hills
and rich soil for farming. Each part of the province has its own particular
charm, and no two parts are the same.

Katherine

Old December 18th 04, 01:05 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Karen in MN"
ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote:

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie. It's been awhile ago,
but I remember thinking it looked like a really interesting and very
beautiful place. Was it filmed there?

Yes I think so, I seem to remember that Judy Dench was giving an
interview and where she was talking about beeing in NewFoundLand, and
how she had to learn the dialect. But I am sure that Katherine can
tell us.

She did, and her accent was the best of all. THe lady who played Kevin
Spacey's love interest was not good at all. Oh, and in Newfoundland, we
spell "Agnes" the same way as they do everywhere else. I never heard the
name "Quoyle" until I read THe Shipping News, and many of the other names
are not Newfoundland names either.

Katherine