are these pearls real?

Old February 9th 05, 04:12 AM
Séimí mac Liam

Maria wrote in
:

What is the color like under the coating?

The colour is very similar to the original except not as shiny- a bit
matte and it feels rough. In the second picture in
http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/ the first couple of beads from
the side of the hook have been peeled from that clear plastic coating,
which is actually the flakes you can see in the first picture. And it
looks like I can remove another layer, but that layer is different.
It's no longer clear like the first, but is the same colour as the
bead. It's also not that easy to peel the layer after the clear
plastic coating.

I could be wrong but, possibly what you have is low grade pearls which have
been coated or died for color enhancment.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve
Old February 9th 05, 04:26 PM
oh_golliee

"Séimí mac Liam" wrote in message
Maria wrote in
:

[...]

I would agree they look like dyed and coated "real" pearls. Another clue
that might suggest "real" pearls is the slight shape variations, they don't
look uniform. The peeling might have happened while "finding the clasp" when
being worn?!

Old February 9th 05, 04:33 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:26:40 -0800, in Tõ "oh_golliee" wrote:

I could be wrong but, possibly what you have is low grade pearls which

have
been coated or died for color enhancment.

--

I would agree they look like dyed and coated "real" pearls. Another clue
that might suggest "real" pearls is the slight shape variations, they don't
look uniform. The peeling might have happened while "finding the clasp" when
being worn?!

maybe, but frankly, I doubt it. Many, if not most, lower cost "real' pearls are indeed
dyed. But the people doing this are using dyes that do not leave a surface coating.
Such a coating would most likely leave the pearl looking less real, I'd guess, and it's
something I've never seen done. Doesn't mean it hasn't been, or that this isn't the
case here, but that would be a rather unusual and uncommon treatment. I HAVE, however,
seen many many coatings, some quite like this, on the various types of imitation pearls
in glass, plastic, or whatever.

Also, many of the imitations also employ means to make the sizes, shapes, and even
colors, somewhat variable orr "off", so this doesn't increase the chances that these
are real. The exact close up appearance of defects in the surface can help a lot, as
they differ in most of the imitations from the things seen on the real thing. But you
need to get closer than these photos to see that, which is a bit of a trick, as these
are pretty close already.

Peter
Old February 10th 05, 03:24 AM
Maria

I could be wrong but, possibly what you have is low grade pearls which have
been coated or died for color enhancment.

This is what the second jeweller that I saw, said. Except he
formulated it as "...really bad quality pearls...". I know they pretty
much mean the same but I prefer the sound of "low grade", to be
honest!

Old February 10th 05, 03:24 AM
Maria

I HAVE, however, seen many many coatings, some quite like this, on the various types of imitation pearls
in glass, plastic...many of the imitations also employ means to make the sizes, shapes, and even
colors, somewhat variable orr "off", so this doesn't increase the chances that these are real...

I bought the pearls in South East Asia...I don't know whether it makes
sense i.t.o. costs, for one to go through such lengths (don't know if
it's easy) of making imitation pearls look real over there. At the
same time, the plastic-like coating would make it appear like they
would go through such lengths! Anyhow, at the moment, I'm not sure
what to make of them...low-grade pearls that have been tinkered around
with or simply a bad job of making perfect imitation pearls!
Nevertheless, they are a rather lovely colour!

are these pearls real? Andi Beads 15 February 6th 05 07:20 PM
AD - Bracelets of pearls, pearls and more pearls bluemaxx Beads 2 January 21st 05 10:58 PM
Holes in fw pearls Bungadora Beads 2 May 23rd 04 06:21 PM
Trade Lampwork for Pearls starlia Beads 2 March 15th 04 08:08 AM
South sea pearls Ripon Jewelry 2 February 18th 04 03:49 AM