are these pearls real?

Old February 5th 05, 05:19 PM
Andi

Default are these pearls real?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if any of you could help me determine whether pearls on
this picture are real...

http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/

Many thanks in advance!
Old February 5th 05, 07:00 PM
Heinrich Butschal

Andi schrieb:
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if any of you could help me determine whether pearls on
this picture are real...

http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/

Many thanks in advance!

No

Grüße,
Heinrich Butschal

--
www.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old February 5th 05, 11:52 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:19:30 GMT, Andi
wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if any of you could help me determine whether pearls on
this picture are real...

http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/

I wouldn't think so. The color is more variant than usual, and nacre
rarely flakes so deeply as on the end bead. They're not glass, you'd
see that where the surface is chipped away. You can tell if they're
plastic by heating a needle and putting it to the inside of the bead
(kind of looks like someone already did that in the cracked section).
Hot plastic smells like hot plastic.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old February 5th 05, 11:52 PM
Jim Redden

Other then just a "no" how about if you give a bit of reasoning and
dispense a bit of your wisdom. there is a note of concern here because of
what others are saying in other jewelry/bead groups. or is this just a tolls
answer?

Honestly lets see if we can get a bit of insight from Abrashra ot Mr Rowe.
if they say no I would be more inclined to belive them.

Jim Redden
J.Redden Design

news

Old February 6th 05, 12:09 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:52:36 -0800, in õ "Jim Redden"
wrote:

Honestly lets see if we can get a bit of insight from Abrashra ot Mr Rowe.
if they say no I would be more inclined to belive them.

At first glance, I'd suspect they may not be. That flaking does not look like something
real pearls should do, but rather some sort of glaze or surface coating coming off of a
plastic or glass imitation. However, it's hard to be sure of this from the photo..

What I can't tell is whether that flaking is actually coming from the material of the
pearl itself, or just happens to be there for some other reason. That could just be
dirt of some sort, which could also do that, or perhaps the person who strung the pearls
put a bit of glue on the knot, and got some excess on that end pearl, which is now
coming off. In that case, then the photo does not tell you.

If you can pull the thread far enough to the side at some pearl to be able to see
slightly into the interior of the drill hole, you can see the surface layer of nacre or
surface coatings on cultured pearls or fakes, which look different, but is difficult to
describe here. Another common test is to gently rub the surface of the pearl against
your teeth. Pearls have a surface of tiny overlapping platelets of calcium carbonate,
and that surface will feel very slightly gritty against your teeth, rather than the
smooth glazed feel of glass or plastics.

There is also, on decent cultured or wholely natural pearls, a property called orient,
which is an irridescent shimmer of spectral colors caused by diffraction of light by
those thin surface platelets. While some fakes can have a somewhat similar surface
irridescence, it doesn't look the same on close examination, so if you've some real
pearls to compare to, you can often tell pretty easily just by looking.

It would help too, to see more than one or two pearls in the photo, as many fakes are
very uniform in size and shape, and generally without the usual surface flaws and
defects found in the real thing.

Your best bet would be to show the pearls to someone who knows pearls, and can examine
them in person. A single photo on the internet can lead us to suspect, one way or
another, but some pearl identifications can be subtle enough that this simply may not
be enough information to go on.

Peter Rowe.
Old February 6th 05, 08:44 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Jim Redden schrieb:
Other then just a "no" how about if you give a bit of reasoning and
dispense a bit of your wisdom. there is a note of concern here because of
what others are saying in other jewelry/bead groups. or is this just a tolls
answer?

Honestly lets see if we can get a bit of insight from Abrashra ot Mr Rowe.
if they say no I would be more inclined to belive them.

I´m working as a evalator. If the OP would send me some money,
he would get some more certificate. :-)

Grüße,
Heinrich Butschal

--
www.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old February 6th 05, 06:06 PM
Maria

Hello-My name is Maria- the one who posted the subject pearls- I
was using my husband's computer but he's bumped me off to mine, now,
thus the change of name...

...That flaking does not look like something real pearls should do, but rather some sort of glaze or surface coating coming off of a
plastic or glass imitation. However, it's hard to be sure of this from the photo..

I have since removed the flaking on a few of the beads and it seems to
be some sort of plastic coating. The pearls now feel different- no
longer smooth but a bit rough and it doesn't look as shiny. The
flaking is also where the drill holes are. There is a knot in between
each bead, but if I rub the two beads against each other, the flakes
are like chalk dust or powder...strange...
...Another common test is to gently rub the surface of the pearl against
your teeth.

I did this and it was very smooth. I have fake pearls and they felt
the same way. I also have real ones and those were gritty. After
removing the plastic coating on a few beads, I rubbed those against my
teeth and they were rough! I've also heard that there are fake pearls
that are coated with fish scales which can also give that gritty
effect.
Your best bet would be to show the pearls to someone who knows pearls, and can examine
them in person.

Yes. I bought the necklace along with a pair of pearl earrings while
on holiday in Asia. The necklace was referred to as "Baby South Sea"
pearls and the earrings were South Sea pearls. I took them to a couple
of jewellers. The first said the earrings were real and the necklace
wasn't, nothing more. The second said the earrings were real and the
necklace didn't appear to be. He said the colours were too strong and
also felt different compared to the real ones. He also said it could
be that they are bad quality pearls that have been touched up to try
to make it appear as if they were good quality pearls. Real or fake, I
like the colour and will continue to enjoy wearing them!

Many thanks for everyone's input, too!

Old February 6th 05, 06:06 PM
Maria

I've also added a new picture of the entire pearl necklace to the
original: http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/
It doesn't show too much detail- difficult to take the pictures...
Old February 6th 05, 09:19 PM
Séimí mac Liam

Maria wrote in
:

[...]

What is the color like under the coating?

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve
Old February 8th 05, 05:07 AM
Maria

What is the color like under the coating?
The colour is very similar to the original except not as shiny- a bit
matte and it feels rough. In the second picture in
http://www.andreassteiner.net/temp/ the first couple of beads from
the side of the hook have been peeled from that clear plastic coating,
which is actually the flakes you can see in the first picture. And it
looks like I can remove another layer, but that layer is different.
It's no longer clear like the first, but is the same colour as the
bead. It's also not that easy to peel the layer after the clear
plastic coating.

are these pearls real? Andi Beads 15 February 6th 05 06:20 PM
AD - Bracelets of pearls, pearls and more pearls bluemaxx Beads 2 January 21st 05 09:58 PM
Holes in fw pearls Bungadora Beads 2 May 23rd 04 06:21 PM
Trade Lampwork for Pearls starlia Beads 2 March 15th 04 07:08 AM
South sea pearls Ripon Jewelry 2 February 18th 04 02:49 AM