Art clay silver piece: solder on a jump ring or refire w/ a bail?

Old December 28th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

Default Art clay silver piece: solder on a jump ring or refire w/ a bail?

I have a large flat piece I made. I was just playing around, but it
turned out GREAT so what I want to do is wear it as a pendant. It's
square, and I want to mount a bail through which I will run a chain. I
don't want it on the top/edge, as I want it to hang point up, and I
want the connection point to be about 1/3 down from the top, making
the chain emerge from the sides, not the very top.

So... I know I can refire the clay if I clean the existing piece well
and attach a newly made bail out of the clay and a little paste. OR...
I can solder on a jump ring on the back.

NEITHER of these things I've done before. =-)

Which would you do?

Amy
Old December 29th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:51:55 -0800, lavachickie
wrote:

I have a large flat piece I made. I was just playing around, but it
turned out GREAT so what I want to do is wear it as a pendant. It's
square, and I want to mount a bail through which I will run a chain. I
don't want it on the top/edge, as I want it to hang point up, and I
want the connection point to be about 1/3 down from the top, making
the chain emerge from the sides, not the very top.

So... I know I can refire the clay if I clean the existing piece well
and attach a newly made bail out of the clay and a little paste. OR...
I can solder on a jump ring on the back.

NEITHER of these things I've done before. =-)

Which would you do?

I don't think there are many people here who work with Art Clay.

My caution would be that if you place the bail too far down, the
pendant may tip forward, which always looks a little odd.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com
Old December 31st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

I don't think there are many people here who work with Art Clay.

That does seem to be true! There are a few bulletin board style forums
on the topics.

I did get a lovely response via e-mail from someone who has been a LOT
of help. In the process I've learned both from my own experience and
her example that soldering will give the result I want, BUT I'm going
to need a LOT of practice in order to do it. =-) While I do intend
to do that practice for future use, I think in this instance I'm going
to a local jeweler and having them do it because I need it done NOW.

My caution would be that if you place the bail too far down, the
pendant may tip forward, which always looks a little odd.

The piece is big, and I was only going, at most about 20% down from
the top. This will give it a little "lean" out, but that's actually
going to be appealing w/ the design that's at play here.

Thanks for the response!

Old January 3rd 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
tambling

Hi,
I am emerging from my post Christmas lethargy and I will be getting my
camera out today. I did warn you about my messy bench though!!

Ruth.

Old January 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

On Jan 3, 8:49 am, "tambling" wrote:
Hi,
I am emerging from my post Christmas lethargy and I will be getting my
camera out today. I did warn you about my messy bench though!!

Ruth.

Ha! Can't wait to see it! It just goes to show how busy you are. =-)

Amy

Solder and sterling silver? lavachickie Jewelry 7 March 31st 07 05:01 PM
Very low temp silver solder? Charlie Jewelry 0 January 22nd 05 05:55 PM
Jump Ring Help! Charlie Beads 11 March 8th 04 03:56 AM
Silver jump rings? Harry Beads 18 January 27th 04 05:42 PM
*How to solder copper with silver? Richard Wendy Lee Jewelry 0 December 1st 03 02:42 AM