Sculpting Hands

Old February 2nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Sculpting Hands

Hello to the Group:

I have a project I'd like to do, where I need to "sculpt" a human hand (the
left) and I'd like it to be 2 1/2 times bigger than the average human hand.
I'll be covering the surface of this hand in polymer clay.

I have never sculpted anything and this could even be a "casting" if it has
to be. Anyone have any ideas on exactly how to achieve this? Or, if you've
got a website where I can get some ideas on how best to get a hand that
large, I'd appreciate it. (for instance, I've thought of using aluminum foil
to craft the shape of the hand, then cover it with polymer clay).

Thanks,

Kim

Old February 2nd 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I'd go to sculpt.com and check out the casting materials and the
Hydro-span. First make a mold of a hand, use alginate or whatever molding
compound. Use that mod to make a cast using hydro-span-----it enlarges up to
60% when soaked in water. Then you cast THAT.

http://sculpt.com/catalog_98/Casting.../HydroSpan.htm

have fun,
SJ

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art
"Kim" wrote in message
Hello to the Group:

I have a project I'd like to do, where I need to "sculpt" a human hand

(the
left) and I'd like it to be 2 1/2 times bigger than the average human

hand.
I'll be covering the surface of this hand in polymer clay.

I have never sculpted anything and this could even be a "casting" if it

has
to be. Anyone have any ideas on exactly how to achieve this? Or, if

you've
got a website where I can get some ideas on how best to get a hand that
large, I'd appreciate it. (for instance, I've thought of using aluminum

foil
to craft the shape of the hand, then cover it with polymer clay).

Thanks,

Kim

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old February 2nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Oh, I'm so-o-o-o irritated when my post gets eaten before I've sent it!
... here goes again, more or less:

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``
The Hydro-span would be a great idea if it'll make a hand that's as
large as what you need... or maybe you could create several molds in
series till you get the size you want. It's disgusting stuff to touch
when it's wet though... eww.

If you decide to go with an armature of aluminum foil, or alum. foil
over something larger, under clay here are some pages that may be
helpful:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sc..._and_tools.htm
(click on "Hands" for various lessons on sculpting the shape of a hand
with clay in general)

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/armatures-perm.htm
(this page discusses various things that can be used under/inside
polymer clay and be left in.... don't think you'd want any of the
"dissolvable" armatures for an item this big, but there's another page
on those if you're interested)

Also, various types of polystyrene foam can be used as armatures, and
be sculpted before covering with aluminum foil and clay then baking.
More easily available types of tools can be used to sculpt the foams,
but the very nifty "hot knife" or some of the other tools from Hot Wire
Foam Factory can sculpt quite precise shapes and details:
http://www.hwff.com/products/customer/home.php

There's much more info on polystyrenes and the hot cutters too on this
page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm
(...click on "Recycle #6, Polystyrene" under Plastics ... and also on
"Cutting and Shaping")

That page will also have info on covering other kinds of materials like
papier mache (over wire mesh maybe) and other paper based stuff (like
Celluclay?), as well as metal, glass, etc.

P.S. When covering something with polymer clay, don't use anything
underneath, even under a thick layer of alum.foil, that could swell
from residual moisture (...e.g, if using bare wood, either bake it in
the oven first, or paint it with an acrylic paint, etc.).

HTH, and have fun!

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

Old February 3rd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

On one of Carol Duvall's shows she filled a latex glove with plaster.
You could use a large size glove then form it over a bowl or cotton
until it hardens. I'm not sure how plaster does under poly clay.
FWIW.

Shana