A necklace I am proud of :)

Old January 26th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default A necklace I am proud of :)

HareBall wrote:

If hitlers homeland is so wonderful why don't you take your ass back.

That Godwinizes the thread. You lose the debate automatically.
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Godwin's_Law

Old January 26th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Abrasha wrote in
:

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

(Please note, regarding personal attacks, that I've tried hard in all

this, to
attack only the statments and ideas expressed. Not the person. For

those of
you wishing to respond to this type of thread, follow the same

guidelines
please, to make my job as moderator easier. Attack ideas and

statements, not
the people behind them. That keeps you within the bounds of the group

charter.
No flame wars, but philosophical debates, no matter how heated, are

still on
topic.)

Peter Rowe

With all due respect Peter, when one is dealing and debating with a
Neanderthal, personal attacks are the only hope for your survival. In
the real world as well as in news groups. Otherwise, they will just
kill you. Every time and all the time. It's the law of the jungle.
You can't escape it.

Since you are not willing to allow that, the only other alternative is
to just let it go. Get out of the way and let the beast roar.
Eventually it will pass.

You are not going to convince this intellectual lightweight, whose belt
clearly doesn't go through all his loops, of anything, or make him
change his feeble mind about anything.

I would rather be a neanderthal, than an asshole to people asking for
help.

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 26th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

mbstevens wrote in
:

HareBall wrote:

If hitlers homeland is so wonderful why don't you take your ass back.

That Godwinizes the thread. You lose the debate automatically.
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Godwin's_Law

I just noticed that he likes living in the land of the free, where we can
mention hitler without going to jail for it.

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 26th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in
:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:16:19 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry HareBall
wrote:

OK. I'm beginning to dance around the limits of the same newsgroup
restrictions I'm instead supposed to enforce among all of you guys.

Please, Larry, don't tempt me any more. Anger isn't good for my
health. And you're making me angry with this crap you're spewing.

(Please note, regarding personal attacks, that I've tried hard in all
this, to attack only the statments and ideas expressed. Not the
person. For those of you wishing to respond to this type of thread,
follow the same guidelines please, to make my job as moderator easier.
Attack ideas and statements, not the people behind them. That keeps
you within the bounds of the group charter. No flame wars, but
philosophical debates, no matter how heated, are still on topic.)

Peter Rowe

You tell me not to attack someone who is attacking me. I see, it is O for
him to call names, but not for anyone to retaliate. You can suck up to this
asshole all you want, but I don't like someone as prtentious as this
telling people their work is junk just because he doesn't like it. He is
still the jerk and buffoon I thought of him as to begin with.

My work here is done.
Goodbye.

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 26th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:12:33 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry HareBall
wrote:

mbstevens wrote in
m:

HareBall wrote:

If hitlers homeland is so wonderful why don't you take your ass back.

That Godwinizes the thread. You lose the debate automatically.
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Godwin's_Law

I just noticed that he likes living in the land of the free, where we can
mention hitler without going to jail for it.

Yup. But moderated newsgroups are not entirely the same playing ground as
general free speech. And nobody's sending you to jail.

By the way, just in the interest of accuracy, I'm pretty sure that Germany was
not hitler's actual homeland. He was Austrian as I recall.
Old January 26th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:12:26 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry HareBall
wrote:

Abrasha wrote in
m:

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

[...]

Now on this count, at least, I'm in full agreement with you.
Old January 26th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:12:22 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry HareBall
wrote:

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Well, and this sort of escalating interchange is what gets called a flamewar,
which I'm supposed to prevent. Figuring out just what crosses the line and what
does not, who's justified and who's not, who fired the first shot and thus
maybe less deserves the right to respond (not an inherant right, but thatodd
grey area where I have to try to play fair, sometimes without much sucess). I'm
really not trying to suck up to anyone, though some folks will always disagree
with anything I do. You do not, for example, see the posts of Abrasha's that I
may have rejected. Only what I've limited from you (so far, nothing). And
it's difficult sometimes, to seperate what's allowed from what's not. Calling a
poster a neanderthal is probably not, and I should have blocked that post
(sorry). But calling a posters statement primative or dumb or whatever, while
still an attack, is then attacking the idea, not the person. It's a fineline,
difficult sometimes to discern, and sometimes feels just the same to the person
on the recieving end of such criticism. And even this is a somewhat muddy area
for me. Easy to judge in retrospect, after having seen what replies a post
generates. Sometimes not so easy to judge when I first see it. I try tobe
conservative, only rejecting the worst and most obvious examples of abuseof the
policy, but trust me, it's not easy to always be right, especially when any
discussion that gets interesting seems to have some disagreement involved.

It's likely that I've let this go too far, and should have clamped down on it
more in the beginning. I'd kind of hoped that the discussion would evolve into
something possibly interesting. It almost tried to. The problem we've run
into in this case is that for one thing, you, objecting to Abrasha's attitude
and response to a newbies posting, chose to take your own negative response in
directions totally and completely apart from the issues driving Abrasha's
response, which he'd tried to enlighten us on. Those were real issues worth
discussing, as they affect us all. When you steered the discussion awayfrom
that into attacking Abrasha's training background or implying that his training
amounted to worthless plagiarism of someone elses work, or something likethat,
or that his background somehow had something to do with Nazi heritage, (just
where in the hell did THAT come from?) you took the discussion from useful to
pointless. It's at that point that I should have stopped this thread, I think.
That was when the criticisms and issues became really personal...

My apologies to the group for not having stopped this garbage earlier.

Further posts to this thread will have to be back on track with a useful, non
personal, non aggresive nature to be allowed. Time we all got back to
business...

Peter
Old January 27th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:47:12 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

Yet another remarkably patient reply. I admire your ability to do
this, but can't emulate you. Mr. "Hareball" has provoked a sad thing -
my very first killfile entry for this newsgroup. He has contributed
nothing but ill will, and I have not even learned anything from the
discussion he has fomented.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ