Needlepoint Rug

Old May 2nd 04, 05:19 AM
Suzanne

Default Needlepoint Rug

Even though I'm still working on the chart for my sampler (getting
closer), I'm looking ahead at new projects I'd like to do. Marc here
(Needlemania) has been kind enough to give me the back issues of
Stitcher's World magazines that have a series of panels for a rug that
I want to do in needlepoint. Once again, thanks Marc! :-) Since I
have too much time on my hands, I tend to spend lots of time
window-shopping online for supplies on future projects, As in cross
stitch, most of the needlepointing I've done up till now (and been a
very long time) has been from kits, and this has proved to be harder
than expected. Since I know there are at least a few needlepointers
here, I was hoping you could help me with some questions.

First, I'm having a hard time finding canvas big enough--at minimum 48"
square. The instructions say you can do the rug either in separate
panels, as they're given out in each issue, or stitch it all as one
rug. Being the masochist that I am (LOL), I thought I'd like to do it
as one whole piece. But it seems almost impossible to find canvas that
big. Heck, I had a hard enough time finding blank canvas anywhere;
though tons of places with painted canvases. Can anyone tell me if
you've found a place with a large selection in sizes of blank canvas?

Second, I'm debating on the type of yarn. For needlepointing, the
instructions list color numbers for DMC tapestry yarn. Is there much
difference between DMC's tapestry and their Medici? I know there are
some differences, but I'm wondering if one would be better for a rug
than the other. As with the canvas, I'm having a hard time finding
someone who sells a large selection of either. Quite a few places that
carry the tapestry yarn don't have all the colors listed for this rug.
And I'm finding that a few of the tapestry colors don't seem to have an
equivalent in Medici. Why is that? I'm still looking for conversion
charts.
--
Suze

Cat hair? That's just an embellishment.

Old May 2nd 04, 05:23 AM
Suzanne

On 2004-05-01 23:19:26 -0500, Suzanne said:

[...]

I know it looks funny for me to be replying to my own post, but I just
remembered another couple questions I wanted to ask. Do you think it
would be better to work the rug in panels rather than one whole piece?
Are there other yarns you would recommend over DMC? I know there are
other yarns out there, but I'm not really familiar with any of them.
TIA! :-)

Old May 2nd 04, 04:56 PM
CANDY CORRIGAN

Hi Suzanne!

I work in a LNS, but don't claim to be an expert, however I am willing to
share what I do know.

First of all, most bolts of blank canvas run between 40 and 54 inches wide
depending on manufacturer, color and count. I am reasonably sure that the
rug you want to do is going to be a 10 or 12 count. I am not in the shop
today and cannot remember off the top of my head what width those bolts run.
It might not be possible to do it in one piece.

As blank canvas goes these counts are not that big a seller. We are
probably one of the better stocked shops in our region and as far as I know
we are the only ones that even stock them in those counts and we only stock
white.

Secondly, yes there is a difference in DMC Tapestry wool and Medici. Medici
is a lot thinner than Tapestry. According to my Thread Thesaurus, a must
have IMHO, 1 strand of Tapestry is equivalent 4 strands of Medici. I
couldn't find the Paterna Sheena mentioned so cannot do a comparison. Also,
Tapestry is offered in 460 colors, Medici is only available in 180.

Candy

news:200405012319261575%suzette40@comcastcrossnets titch...

Old May 2nd 04, 07:55 PM
Lucille

I think Sheena was thinking of Paternayan 3 strand tapestry wool. I've used
it many times and find it works up beautifully and lasts forever.
Lucille

Old May 3rd 04, 02:03 AM
Bungadora

As far as I recall, many large needlepoint rugs are pieced rather than worked
as one piece. It seems to me I read instructions at one time that the piecing
should be done so that a wide length falls in the centre, and a second length
is split and basted into place at either side, with the overlap between
canvases preferably placed on borders or vertical lines. The two layers of
canvas are needlepointed together as one to hold them.

Dora

Suzanne snetstitch

Old May 3rd 04, 06:21 PM
Lara H

I know it looks funny for me to be replying to my own post, but I just
remembered another couple questions I wanted to ask. Do you think it
would be better to work the rug in panels rather than one whole piece?
Are there other yarns you would recommend over DMC? I know there are
other yarns out there, but I'm not really familiar with any of them.
TIA! :-)

Paternayan, as others have suggested, is a great wool, sturdy and in
beautiful colours.

Try http://www.threadneedlestreet.com/ for canvas. Denise is also a great
source of information and advice.

Here is an article that tells you how to finish the rug...once you are
through stitching!

http://www.needlearts.com/articles/a...rticle_12.html

And Erica Wilson has a video out where she demonstrates how to make a rug,
among other things.

lara

Photographer - editor - writer
Old May 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Lara H

In article 200405012319261575%suzette40@comcastcrossnetstitc h, Suzanne
wrote:

I forgot to mention, one of the stitchers in our yahoo group has done a
rug and has posted a picture of it on the site.

Old May 4th 04, 12:51 PM
BDS2pds

Dora,
I was reading through the posts and I will stop here and reply on yours. This
is how I do my rugs. This gives you 100 inches wide which is pretty good when
you piece the canvas together BEFORE you stitch as opposed to after. This is
how my rugs are done. If you want it wider, patch 3 or 4 or even 5 strips
together. Be sure to get the gold line cut off.... It is thicker than the
rest of the canvas.