Battle of Britain lace

Old March 23rd 11, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

Default Battle of Britain lace

http://tepapa.files.wordpress.com/20...n-lace-jpg.jpg
I've no more information on the item, the URL was posted on an RAF site
to which I subscribe.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old March 23rd 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/23/11 9:49 AM, Bruce wrote:
http://tepapa.files.wordpress.com/20...n-lace-jpg.jpg
I've no more information on the item, the URL was posted on an RAF site
to which I subscribe.

OMG in the fullest possible meaning of the word
Old March 23rd 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 23/03/2011 14:02, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/23/11 9:49 AM, Bruce wrote:
http://tepapa.files.wordpress.com/20...n-lace-jpg.jpg
I've no more information on the item, the URL was posted on an RAF site
to which I subscribe.

OMG in the fullest possible meaning of the word

Thanks to the members of the RAF Boy Entrant Association website I can
provide more information on the lace panel:
"The Battle of Britain lace panel held at the Australian War Memorial
was manufactured (between 1942 and 1946) by the lace curtain firm of
Dobsons & M. Browne & Co. Ltd. It was woven to commemorate the battle
and as a tribute to those who fought to save Britain.
During the war Dobsons & Browne had devoted most of its output to the
production of mosquito and camouflage netting. As a means of retaining
the skills and standards of their highly trained designers and
draughting staff who were under-employed by the wartime production
requirements, the firm took up the idea of making a large commemorative
lace panel.
The design for the panel took two years and the drafting for the
jacquard (pattern cards) another 15 months. The pattern required 40,000
cards, weighing a tonne altogether. Each panel took a week to produce
and required 4,200 threads and the preparation of 975 bobbins for the
loom. A total of 41,830 kilometres of fine Egyptian cotton went into the
making of each panel, which measured 4.5 x 1.62 metres when completed.
The panel depicts scenes of the bombing of London, and the types of
aircraft used in the battle, as well as the badges of the Allied air
forces involved and the floral emblems of Great Britain and the
Commonwealth. Also included are the names of the firm and the craftsmen
from Dobsons & Browne who created the work. At the bottom on a scroll
are Sir Winston Churchill's famous words: " Never was so much owed by so
many to so few. " A cottage and a castle are also depicted, to indicate
that rich and poor suffered alike. The edging of the curtain is composed
of ripening ears of corn representing the season during which the Battle
of Britain took place. Interwoven with these are Tudor roses, thistles,
shamrocks, and oak leaves.
Thirty-eight panels were woven before the jacquards were destroyed. King
George VI and Sir Winston Churchill were each presented with one, and
others were distributed to various RAF units, and to Westminster Abbey,
the City of Nottingham (where the panels were woven), the City of
London, and personnel from Dobsons & Browne. As airmen from New Zealand,
South Africa, Canada and Australia had been attached to various RAF
units, these countries also received a panel.
Due to the unfortunate closure of RAF Coltishall, it’s Panel, that used
to have pride of place in the Officers Mess was moved to Norwich
Cathedral and now stands in the South Transept. Depicted on the panel,
are Allied and Axis aircraft, scenes of the bombing of London and the
badges of the Allied Air Forces involved. The panel was designed by
Harry Cross. It took 26,000 miles of fine Egyptian cotton to produce the
Lace and it measures 15 feet by 65 inches."
Bruce

Old March 24th 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
melb

Heres more info Bruce
http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/b...n/lace_key.asp

Edna who has been to the Australian War Museum.

Old March 24th 11, 08:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 24/03/2011 05:04, melb wrote:
Heres more info Bruce
http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/b...n/lace_key.asp

Edna who has been to the Australian War Museum.

Many thanks for the extra information. The RAF Boy Entrant Association
is trying to discover the whereabouts or fate of all the 38 panels;
fortunately the Association has members in nearly every country in the
world.
Bruce

Old March 24th 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/24/11 4:51 AM, in article ,
"Bruce" wrote:

On 24/03/2011 05:04, melb wrote:
Heres more info Bruce
http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/b...n/lace_key.asp

Edna who has been to the Australian War Museum.

Many thanks for the extra information. The RAF Boy Entrant Association
is trying to discover the whereabouts or fate of all the 38 panels;
fortunately the Association has members in nearly every country in the
world.
Bruce

Thanks to both of you for sharing. Bruce, the explanation you gave was
fabulous. Really interesting to see and think about.

Ellice

Old March 24th 11, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 24/03/2011 12:12, Ellice K. wrote:
Thanks to both of you for sharing. Bruce, the explanation you gave was
fabulous. Really interesting to see and think about.

Ellice

More information courtesy of the RAF BEA:
"My interest in the panels started in 1984, when I saw a panel in
Croydon. I researched the panels for the next fourteen years, finding
that they were all over the world, and in 2001 I made my research into a
book, ‘The Battle of Britain in Lace.’ A revised edition was printed in
2009 when more panels were discovered.

The book contains over 60 pictures, including some in colour, and
describes in technical detail how the panels were made, as well as where
38 panels are now held, along with their history. I was fortunate to be
allowed to borrow the original photographs of the Blitz which Harry
Cross obtained from the Ministry of Defence in 1942, and which he used
to design the panel. The book contains copies of these photographs
along with photographs of how they are represented in lace.

It is the only book on the subject, has been very well received by both
the lace industry and Battle of Britain associates, and is available
from me, Bill Rowe, for £20 including P&P. To order, please call me at
020 8777 9565"
Old March 24th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
melb

Bruce I decided to search for articles on this lace on the National Library
of Australia website Trove and found these headings from 1950 newspapers.

I have not checked them as it is 1.30am here and I am off to bed.

Edna
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/re...f+britain+lace

Old March 28th 11, 09:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce[_4_]

On 23/03/2011 13:49, Bruce wrote:
http://tepapa.files.wordpress.com/20...n-lace-jpg.jpg
I've no more information on the item, the URL was posted on an RAF site
to which I subscribe.

More information from Brian Farr of the RAAFA Aviation Heritage Museum
in Australia:
"You may be interested to know that the often quoted figures of 26,000
miles of thread and 44,000 cards forming the Jacquard are wildly
inaccurate. Recent calculations suggest that 14 miles and 16,200 cards
is more realistic.
I have researched the panels for several years and have located 30 of
them, Bill Rowe has included my results in the latest edition of his
book. Of the 4 panels in Australia, only those in Adelaide and Perth are
on display. The one in Canberra can be viewed by arrangement and one is
supposed to be displayed at Point Cook in Victoria when they get around
to it."
Bruce