Broken Foot

Old October 28th 03, 04:37 AM
Christina in Ok

Default Broken Foot

I once again find myself in a fix.
I started a quilt back in April before I was hurt I had the top finished, it
just needed to be pined and quilted.
Today I got to pin the scrappy quilt ( its about twin size, or just a bit
smaller) I took it to the sewing machine, and started quilting it ( with the
darning foot)
a little over half finished something happened, and it broke my needle & the
darning foot, I have ordered a new darning foot, this time it is metal.
Anyhow, since I was hoping to have this quilt finished tomorrow, can I use
my walking foot or any other foot to finish up the quilt? ( it is just a
random pattern with no set way to go) Stripling I think is what's its
called.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

Old October 28th 03, 04:45 AM
Teresa in Colorado

Do you have a regular darning foot (not the large holed free motion quilt
darning foot)?
I wouldn't choose to use the regular darning foot (too hard to see the
threads), but I think it would work in a pinch.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
s.com...

Old October 28th 03, 05:16 AM
Christina in Ok

Teresa, are you asking if I have another darning foot? If so, no the foot
that broke was the only thing I had.
I have other feet, But they don't jump like the this one did.
ink.net...

Old October 28th 03, 05:46 AM
Lisa C

[...]

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure you need some sort of darning foot for free motion
quilting. The feed dogs drop down (or are covered) and the spring action of
the darning foot is what allows you to move the fabric through easily.
The walking foot would be ok if you wanted to do straight line quilting.
Since you already started with stippling... that might be odd.
Not sure if this would work.. but if you had a straight foot (the kind that
has a small hole for the needle and not an opening for zig-zagging) then you
MIGHT try and free motion with that. I would definately use a scrap 'quilt
package' so you don't have damage if the experiment fails. The only problems
I see with that is the lack of any 'spring' on the foot -- and visibility
issues.

Old October 28th 03, 11:20 AM
Polly Esther

You might try, on a scrap sandwich, of course, stippling with no foot at
all. Feed dogs* dropped*, presser foot lever *down*. That's how I stippled
before stippling was cool. I broke three of those springy things before I
gave them up. Just too fragile and costly for my style (?). To stipple
"barefooted" you will want to go a little slower but it can be done. Polly

. ..

Old October 28th 03, 08:11 PM
Christina in Ok

Thanks I haven't tired to use it without a foot, and will try that.. I did
however try on just a foot.. it was a no go with or without the dog feet.
I will just have to slow down for a few days until Saturday when the BOM
instructions will be up and place this one on the side until the feet come
in..

Polly, Glad to know I am not the only one who brakes feet.. So far I have
broke 2 walking feet..( the plastic and one darning foot) All of them have
broken where you place the screw and all have plastic things where the screw
goes. I wonder if I am screwing the screw on too tight? I am hoping that
the new one since It will be metal, will no longer give me problems.
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
You might try, on a scrap sandwich, of course, stippling with no foot at
all. Feed dogs* dropped*, presser foot lever *down*. That's how I stippled
before stippling was cool. I broke three of those springy things before I
gave them up. Just too fragile and costly for my style (?). To stipple
"barefooted" you will want to go a little slower but it can be done. Polly

. ..

&

Old October 28th 03, 08:53 PM
ME-Judy

Some quilt shops/TSWLTH carry a special needle with a spring built onto it.
This might work if none of your SM feet work.
ME-Judy

Old October 29th 03, 01:28 AM
Christina in Ok

Ok I will try with the walking foot.
"IMS" wrote in message
Actually, I did try FMQ with my walking foot a few days ago with some
success. I liked it because it evenly feeds the fabric. Obviously one
can't be quite as 'specific' in placement of the stitches, but I did a
nice meander and it came out pretty good. I suggest making a small test
quilt layer and giving it a go! It may work for you.

Old October 29th 03, 01:30 AM
Christina in Ok

Thanks.. I have a darning foot on order, since I would have to wait either
way as all have to be mailed to me..
I will just wait.. anyhow it gave me time to clean up scrap fabrics.. and
given me time to work out my next scrappy quilt

Old October 29th 03, 02:00 AM
AliceW

Christina, I have to confess that when I first saw your post, I thought you
were hurt again and I shuttered! Then I read several posts on the thread
and had to laugh when I found out that the broken foot was on your machine.
I sighed a big sigh of relief! I am so glad it was your "foot" and not YOUR
"foot"!!

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

[...]

. ..

Foredom foot pedal C Ryman Jewelry 11 November 30th 04 07:31 AM
I need a foot Laura Polymer Clay 0 November 3rd 04 04:29 PM
I'm Okay - foot dented, not broken Carol in SLC Beads 10 October 17th 04 05:39 PM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM