Ruined Pit Fired Pieces

Old June 28th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Mel Owen

Default Ruined Pit Fired Pieces

Attended a ceramics class and of course, as we were pit firing it rained
and doused the fire. The results were not pretty! I'm now back home and only
can electric fire. Can I add low fire glaze to the bowls and re-fire them ?

Old June 29th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

yes, or try raku or high fire on the same pieces.

see ya

steve

On Jun 28, 12:36 pm, "DKat" wrote:
Yes

"Mel Owen" wrote in message

Attended a ceramics class and of course, as we were pit firing it rained
and doused the fire. The results were not pretty! I'm now back home and
only can electric fire. Can I add low fire glaze to the bowls and re-fire
them ?- Hide quoted text -

Old June 29th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

by the way - i only use cone 10 clays for raku, pit, high fire. so i
can swap a pot thru all of the processes with no problem.

see ya

steve

On Jun 28, 12:36 pm, "DKat" wrote:
Yes

Old July 2nd 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

i accidently got some 06 clay (powdered slip) into a batch of cone 10
pug mill clay. discovered AFTER i dumped half a bag in...

anyway, it fired up really well. i was lucky the proportions across
the whole batch was small. everything got an extra smooth finish.

so while you might find some o6 clay to use, i still like using only
one type of clay in the workshop to avoid these accidents.

see ya

steve

On Jun 29, 1:35 pm, (Elaine Stutt) wrote:
WJS ) writes:
Ahhhh,
but will it be vitreous at pit fire temps g? Prolly not.
Best,
Wayne Seidl

steve wrote:
by the way - i only use cone 10 clays for raku, pit, high fire. so i
can swap a pot thru all of the processes with no problem.

see ya

steve

But would any clay vitrify at pit fire temps ( low )?

For instance, even if you buy a clay designed for low fire, it
doesn't vitrify or it's still quite porous compared to higher
temp firings. Of course it depends on the supplier's blends.
I was guessing you'd have to get up to Cone One* to get any
great degree of non-porousity. I think I saw Cone One called
a terra cota temperature on one list. Any that's still porous

Elaine

*Sorry I don't have my book with all the cone temps.

I've ruined my new iron Sunny Quilting 7 September 6th 06 10:50 PM
Accidentally left piece on hoop-- is it ruined? Mmeindia Needlework 13 December 3rd 04 02:48 PM
Ruined! (just having a moan) ally Beads 2 June 14th 04 08:08 PM
Help! I ruined my sterling silver letter beads in jewelry cleaner! Julie Minkin Beads 3 August 4th 03 07:29 PM