Knew I would not get far without asking a Question

Old March 31st 05, 04:14 AM
Christina in Ok

Default Knew I would not get far without asking a Question

Knew I would not get far without asking a Question , Into Feb and I have one

Anyhow When cutting fabric, I see a wavy spot in the fabric where it was
folder over.. How does one deal with this without unfolding it.

Wondering why my text got so small hmmmm.. have to check this out

Old March 31st 05, 08:13 AM
Patti

Hullo Christina
I had this problem a few times and have to say that I tried to solve it
by not folding - or at least reducing folding by getting a larger
cutting mat; but I know that's not always possible.
Nowadays, if I'm doing a long piece, I might (if I'm feeling brave), cut
it as a single layer and move the piece along, carefully lining up the
ruler as I go. This isn't quick, but you can see what you are getting.
A tip I saw on a tape of Simply Quilts was to be sure that the fold is
nearest to you, ie *start with cutting the fold. I tried that, and it
does really seem to help (more pressure and control of blade and ruler
close to)
..
In message , Christina in Ok
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 31st 05, 12:30 PM
AliceW

Christina, when I am cutting several layers of fabric, I try to cut the
folded edge first. I put ruler where it needs to be and then put most of my
pressure on the part of the ruler closest to the fold. I also use a slip
proof ruler, either with the little sand paper dots or other gripy devices.

Hope this helps - and, there is no quota for questions! Ask away!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Christina in Ok" wrote in message
: Knew I would not get far without asking a Question , Into Feb and I have
one
:
:
:

Old March 31st 05, 04:44 PM
Christina in Ok

(grin, giggle) If there was a quota, I would have been the first to use it
up.

I been doing it the other way around, will give it a go and see how it works
out.

Old March 31st 05, 04:50 PM
Christina in Ok

I have a pretty big mat, not the biggest one, but I still need to fold the
fabric in half... Usually I do the 4 layers fold.

If not I would be back at the stage where the fabric is covering up the
entire mat.. and I would be right back to where as was at first... pondering
how do I cut this?
LOL remember that one! LOL

the folded part is always the last part I cut, I will give it a go and see
who happens.
usually if I need more squares I will unfold then I see the V, but more
things then not, I will not need that part.

"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Christina
I had this problem a few times and have to say that I tried to solve it by
not folding - or at least reducing folding by getting a larger cutting
mat; but I know that's not always possible.
Nowadays, if I'm doing a long piece, I might (if I'm feeling brave), cut
it as a single layer and move the piece along, carefully lining up the
ruler as I go. This isn't quick, but you can see what you are getting.
A tip I saw on a tape of Simply Quilts was to be sure that the fold is
nearest to you, ie *start with cutting the fold. I tried that, and it
does really seem to help (more pressure and control of blade and ruler
close to)
.
In message , Christina in Ok
writes

Old March 31st 05, 05:48 PM
AliceW

Christina, there is an episode coming up on Simply Quilts dealing with
this very problem. I put a link for you in the Simply Quilts schedule
posting that I did earlier to day. If you get a chance, go to that
message and click on the link. It may explain it more clearly than I
did.

Alice

Old April 2nd 05, 01:56 AM
Pati Cook

Ahhhh...
the "V" problem. That happens when your cut is not exactly
perpendicular to the fold. Try it on paper or scrap fabric. Make sure
the fold lines up on the same measurement on both sides of the ruler.
IF you are doing the fold-it-again method, make sure both folds are
*parallel* then cut *perpendicular* to both folds, if the folds are not
parallel then you cannot cut perpendicular to both folds at once.
I know, this goes back to high school geometry, but so does a lot of
quilt making. Get in the habit and it is easy to do.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
Pati Cook

Suggestion for slippery rulers......... Use NexCare brand plastic first
aid tape on the backs. It is clear, but textured. I have tried the
sandpaper dots, but they are always in the way, no matter where I put
them. The tape is relatively cheap and effective. If you get dark
buildup along the edges, take it off, clean with a bit of rubbing
alcohol and put on new.

Pati, in Phx

Old April 3rd 05, 04:50 PM
DDM

I first saw this hint a couple of years ago right here on the newsgroup and
it really works like a charm. I usually put another strip on the ruler so
that there isn't more than 4" or so without the gripper. Cheap and
effective...my favorites!

Dee in LeRoy, NY

nk.net...

AliceW wrote:

Christina, when I am cutting several layers of fabric, I try to cut the
folded edge first. I put ruler where it needs to be and then put most of

my
pressure on the part of the ruler closest to the fold. I also use a slip
proof ruler, either with the little sand paper dots or other gripy

devices.

Hope this helps - and, there is no quota for questions! Ask away!

Newbie question - drilling stones Polly Stewart Jewelry 0 January 11th 05 07:21 AM
Wow, my first rude question from Ebay! *~candygrrl~* Beads 57 October 1st 04 07:50 AM
Needle Hitching Question Jason Lowe Knots 2 November 11th 03 08:02 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM