knitting: too tight?

Old August 22nd 04, 07:34 AM
the spike

Default knitting: too tight?

I'm only a few days into learning to knit, and I have the double
cast-on down pat. All the loops are uniform and I can slide them around
fairly easily on the needle. 'Vogue Knitting' says this is a "firm yet
elastic" edge; firm yes, elastic, well...

My problem is when beginning to knit stitch (English method) after
the cast on. Pulling the loop through the cast-on stitch is a little
tight, and pulling the stitch off the end of the left needle tip is a
hassle.

I have to slide the work up to the tips of the needles in order to
get enough slack to slip off the stitch. After slipping it off, I have
to force it down onto the straight part of the right needle, causing
much finger hurtedness from the needle tips. All this results in uneven
ugly stitches.

This is obviously flawed since there is no way someone could knit
fast using this method. So where's the problem?

I tried casting on looser, and that gives me a somewhat sloppy
looking result (or is that correct?). I've watched the video on
stitchguide.com a dozen times and her work looks pretty loose and is
nowhere near the needle tips - the stitch slips right off the end. The
other possible problem was that the yarn recommends a US#9 needle which
I don't have, so I've been using 7 and 8s. I don't think needle size is
THAT important.

I'm going to practice some more but this is a little frustrating. :P

-the spike
Old August 22nd 04, 09:00 AM
Anna MCM

the spike wrote:
=20
I'm going to practice some more but this is a little frustrating. :P
=20

Hi the spike!

I can relate to your frustration. It took me a LOT of times, let=B4s say =

30-40 before making a acceptable (not good, just acceptable) first row.
Now things are going better, but it=B4s still a little tight.
I have to convince myself of the obviuos thing that knitting is not=20
crocheting and that stitches have tp be more elastic!
Also not thinking to much but letting the hands work by themselves=20
helped a lot (that=B4s difficult to explain, but it works).
There are also tons of different ways of casting on, maybe you have to=20
try another one more comfortable to you.
These are the advices of a not so experienced knitter, let=B4s hear what =

the real experts have to say!

Bye,

Anna Maria

Old August 22nd 04, 01:23 PM
Sonya Cirillo

OK - the cast on is perhaps a wee bit tight - but that is OK - shouldn't
be a problem - it gets to be a problem when the stitches are so tight
that you can't barely move them on the needle - that's too tight, since
it makes it too hard to get a needle in to make a stitch . . .a too
little needle can be a problem, but usually one size down won't cause
*that* much of a problem and the problem will be in the drape of the
fabric - not being able to get the stitches off the needle

However, you than say that it won't easily drop off the needle, after
the first knit stitch - so to be sure you have the correct motions I'm
going to go over a couple things -

a) insert right needle from the front to the back of the first stitch of
left needle
b) yarn over and draw loop through
c) drop the stitch on the left needle off
d) slide the stitch on right needle down off the tip - using the shaft
of the needle to define the size of the stitch
e) repeat

OK - a common problem here - is to have a strangle hold on the yarn and
not sliding the newly formed stitch far enough up the right needle to
get it to the proper size. The next common problem is that the new
knitter tries to bring the loop on the left needle over too - instead of
dropping them off the needle. . .[I've been knitting for 25+ years but
can still remember how scary it was that first time to just dropped that
stitch off the left needle!!!!!]

What worked with my daughter (who was strangling the yarn) was I had her
change how she held the yarn until she found a way that was comfortable
but enabled her to tension without strangling. She actually barely
holds the yarn - she drapes it over her pointing finger and lets it hang
down the palm of her hand - than after sizing the stitch on the right
needle (by sliding it) somehow holds the last stitch on the right needle
so that it stays the right size - while she does the next stitch - it
works - and she can knit fairly quickly, so it's the right way for her

Basically the stitches on the right needle should be/are sizeable as
they are made - and that 'size' is somewhat fixed as soon as the next
stitch is made (not completely - there is some give and take, if you
block (even after you wash it, if they aren't too uneven) - you'll
notice that the stitches will generally 'even' out a bit) . . .

but until the next stitch is made you should be able to grab it (stitch
on the right needle) and make it any size you want - so, if you can't
(ie you said there was major difficulties getting it to slide up the
right needle), then maybe you are not dropping the stitch off the left
needle but bringing it along some how?

I get frustrated with this part - you should see me trying to show you
through the internet - can you see my hands

Is there a yarn store with possible knitters near you?? Sometimes words
alone don't help as well as they could - whereas 5-10 minutes with
someone watching will. . . the only problem is some folks are very rigid
in the 'only one correct way', so if that happens - take them with a
grain a salt - you only want to know what you're doing to make the
stitches too tight - than you can go home and do it you're way except
for that one minor part

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonya

Old August 22nd 04, 02:10 PM
Slinky

Most new knitters have problems with tension. Relax and practice.
Possibly you'll discover in time that you're simply a tight knitter.
If that's the case you'll be working on needles 2, 3, even 4 sizes
larger than your pattern calls for.

Needle recommendations are just that - recommendations. In most cases
the recommended needle size for a given pattern or yarn is the one the
designer used to achieve the gauge specified in the pattern or on the
ballband. YOU aren't the designer, YOU don't knit like the designer,
YOU may need a different needle size.

A tip for the cast-on: do it over two needles, or a needle 2 sizes
larger than you'll be using for the project.

Old August 22nd 04, 02:52 PM
Karen in MN

"the spike" wrote in message
[...]

It will get better as you get more experience and relax more, I think most
new knitters have a tendency to cast on more tightly than is necessary. Til
then maybe try casting on with a needle that is at least one size larger
than the needle you will knit with.

P.S. Needle size is only as important as the gauge that results -- gauge is
CRITICAL. Whatever the recommendation for needle size, use whatever gives
you the required gauge.

Karen in MN

Old August 22nd 04, 03:58 PM
Gallagher

Don't give up!

Just this week I posted questions about knitting too loosely. We all have
adjustments to make. I've found different needles make for stitch
adjustments, too. Bamboo vs. metal can make a difference, as well as
straight vs. circular.

The experts here are most generous with sound advice and have helped me with
my quandaries.

Good luck!
Abi

Old August 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Spike ,,, this is normal ,, beginner`s pains !!!
best way is to cast on a Bigger needle [ one whole size] knit on
intended needle if it still is tight change to a 1/2 smaller size .
mirjam

Old August 22nd 04, 06:32 PM
Kippany

best way is to cast on a Bigger needle [ one whole size BRBR

Another way is to cast onto a doubled needle. Use the size you'll be knitting
on--but, cast onto both needles.

Mary.