Quilting University

Old June 9th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edward W. Thompson

Default Quilting University

Does anyone have any experience of the online courses offered by the
'Quilting University'? How 'good' are they? Your experience(s) would
be of great interest, at least to me.
Old June 9th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Just quickly - while the US is still asleep!
From discussions we have had here in the past, it does, as with any
educational institution, depend very much on the tutor.
Thus, some courses are excellent and some leave a little (or a lot) to
be desired.
..
In message , Edward W.
Thompson writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 9th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Jun 8, 11:57 pm, Edward W. Thompson
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of the online courses offered by the
'Quilting University'? How 'good' are they? Your experience(s) would
be of great interest, at least to me.

I tried to take several of their courses last year. I say "tried",
because I had some health problems and got sick while taking each one
and was unable to complete any of them (I got well between the
classes). Of course, that is not something unique to online courses,
the same thing could happen if you signed up for a local class that
ran for several days/weeks. This did not keep me from trying again --
I am currently taking their beginning Machine Quilting class.

A great deal depends on the teacher and the materials; but again, I
don't think this is any different than for a class at a LQS. I have
had some excellent classes at my LQS, but they have one instructor,
who is never prepared and presumes that the student will do everything
-- including knowing everything ahead of time. I will never take one
of her classes again!

The big difference between the two mediums is that the teacher cannot
directly see what you are doing. In a local class, a good instructor
watches to make sure that everyone accomplishes each step along the
way to the final goal. In an online class it is up to the student to
keep the instructor informed as to his/her progress. At a LQS the
instructor can readily see if anything is amiss; a remote instructor
only knows what the student tells him/her. The student must be able
to send information to the instructor via text and/or pictures. At
Quilt University (QU) they have instructions on how to do that. I do
think that QU students must be a little more self motivated to
complete the classes. The instructor does not check each student to
make sure that he/she is fully participating.

Naturally the teacher cannot be online 24-hours a day, so the student
must be willing to wait for a response. Given that it might take
several communications to resolve something, the student must be
patient. Given that lessons are spaced a week apart, I personally
don't consider this a problem (and did not see any such problem in the
several classes that I did take).

The benefits of taking a course on line are many and can vary by
student. In my own case, I have odd hours and therefore cannot take
LQS classes in the evening or during the week days, when most of their
classes take place. So I either have to take a day of vacation
(something my DH has allowed on occasion), or take one of the rare
Saturday classes. So, at QU there are a wide variety of classes that
I would normally not be able to take.

At QU the lessons remain online for several weeks after the last
lesson is posted. If the class is not full, then late comers can join
and easily complete the course at their own pace. Unlike in a local
class, at which time is very limited, if a QU instructor helps late
comers (or even slower learning students), it does not affect the rate
at which the remainder of the class progresses.

QU has a nice online library (actually available to anyone -- not just
students), that has quite a bit of beginning quilting info. Given
that the lessons are spaced out, the student has time to look things
up if necessary.

Of course, everyone's mileage will vary.

Bev in TX

Old June 9th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of the online courses offered by the
'Quilting University'? How 'good' are they? Your experience(s) would
be of great interest, at least to me.

I should also have said, that QU does have a free sample class that
you can take to see whether that medium works for you. Go to
http://www.quiltuniversity.com/index.html and click on "FREE Sample
Class" on the right hand side under "More information". It might not
be a course you want to take, but it would show you how the processes
work.

Bev in TX

Old June 9th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Neeji

I enjoyed the classes I've taken, and got a lot out of 'em. Be sure to
print out each lesson, so it won't disappear on ya :-)

Old June 9th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of the online courses offered by the
'Quilting University'? How 'good' are they? Your experience(s) would
be of great interest, at least to me.

You've gotten some good opinions. The only thing I'd like to add is
that not everyone learns well just by reading and looking at pictures.
Some people really need to see it done right before their eyes and in
person. Some people really need to have a real body watching them try
something for the first time. We all learn differently. So while I
love QU the classes drive my quilting buddy crazy because she just has
trouble reading and putting the written work into physical action.
Everyone learns differently.

marcella
Old June 10th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edward W. Thompson

Thanks very much for your input. Both interesting and useful.

OT - University Challenge! Jo in Scotland Quilting 24 March 1st 07 10:14 AM
Quilt University Kate G. Quilting 4 January 31st 06 02:15 AM
Moda University Marcella Peek Quilting 5 December 12th 05 01:13 PM
Quilt university for EQ5 Terbear Quilting 12 June 23rd 04 08:38 PM
Reply from the University NoraBalcer Yarn 3 October 29th 03 05:37 AM