OT - winter roadtrip

Old October 13th 11, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Default OT - winter roadtrip

Roadtrip suggestions wanted: For a winter roadtrip from Dulles - North
Alabama - Hampton Roads (VA) - Dulles.

I'm thinking af spending a total of about 5 days "on the road" with
stops in North Alabama and Hampton Roads (to visit!)

Is it worth going 300 miles out of the way to see Charleston, SC? What
about Smoky Mountains in the winter?

Any good LQSs or museums?

Thanks!
Hanne in DK
Old October 13th 11, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 13, 7:48*am, Hanne in DK wrote:
Roadtrip suggestions wanted: For a winter roadtrip from Dulles - North
Alabama - Hampton Roads (VA) - Dulles.

I'm thinking af spending a total of about 5 days "on the road" with
stops in North Alabama and Hampton Roads (to visit!)

Is it worth going 300 miles out of the way to see Charleston, SC? What
about Smoky Mountains in the winter?

Any good LQSs or museums?

Thanks!
Hanne in DK

Can't help with any suggestions except to say I know I'd like to get
to Charleston at some point. Supposed to be a beautiful city! Have a
great time.

Kim in NJ
Old October 13th 11, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Hanne in DK"
Is it worth going 300 miles out of the way to see Charleston, SC? What
about Smoky Mountains in the winter?

Any good LQSs or museums?

Thanks!
Hanne in D

I was born in SC and have only recently since retirement started spending my
winters in Florida/ . The Smoky Mountains are beautiful, as well as the
area of E. Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia. Are you talking about
the Gatlinburg, TN area?

If you will be in N. Alabama, you will have more than 300 miles to get to
Charleston SC, because it is 250 miles from Greenville, SC-----almost a 4
hour drive for me. I live 15 miles E of Greenville, SC. I am a history nut
and love Charleston as the town is loaded in history of the United States,
as a harbor town from it's beginning before the war with England, and other
wars in the US. I could go on and on about my state! If you want more
information, just send me a private message so I won't bore everyone on
rctq!
Barbara in FL, but born and raised in SC near the mountains

Old October 13th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 13-10-2011 15:53, Bobbie Sews More skrev:
"Hanne in DK"
[...]

Barbara,

I'll email you privately, but just wanted to clarify for all:

I only meant that going to Charleston would add 300 miles to the trip,
compared to going "straight" from N. Alabama to Yorktown, VA.

Weatherwise, closed roads would be a problem (but I'm flexible), but
other than that, it is colder where I live, so I'm good. But if
everything is closed in the winter in some little town, there may not be
much point :-)

Hanne in DK
Old October 14th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

We do not go to the Gatlinburg area of TN because a lot of the stores are
closed because of fewer tourists, but mostly because of the cold weather.
Also, in Charleston there are more stores open during the summer tourist
months.
Barbara in FL during the winter

Old October 14th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

We enjoy going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg during the winter. Lots of things
to do, places to see, shows, shops, tourist traps and happy people. Of
course, we're easy. Just 'being' in the Smokey Mtns is a special treat to
us. Polly

Old October 14th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On 10/13/2011 8:37 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
We enjoy going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg during the winter. Lots of
things to do, places to see, shows, shops, tourist traps and happy
people. Of course, we're easy. Just 'being' in the Smokey Mtns is a
special treat to us. Polly

DH and I usually go to Pigeon Forge at least once a year. I don't
care for Gatlinburg because it's laid out in a much more congested
pattern than Pigeon Forge. As a result, you are always knee deep in
haole tourists. For some reason, I am totally enamoured with Pigeon
Forge -- to the extent that DH will start our trip back to Lizard Land
by going there for a few days :-).
Now, for you who are total Christmas freaks like myself, Pigeon
Forge has THE most wonderful Christmas shop I have ever seen. It is
called, simply, The Christmas Place (I think!!) and is to die for.
There are several other Christmas shops and they are also very nice but
can't hold a candle to The Christmas Place.
There are loads of other shops, etc. in Pigeon Forge but the other
thing I recommend is to have a meal at The Old Mill Restaurant and try
their corn chowder -- GREAT!!! There's a very nice needlework shop --
Dixie Darlins' -- and The Cat House that sells all sorts of wonderful
cat stuff. I believe they are also going to have a section for dog
things, too.
There is a quilt shop but it sells quilts made in China. For
quilting stuff, you really need to go into Sevierville. There are a
number of quilt shops there. Going to Pigeon Forge is one of the things
I will really miss living in Lizard Land. Ciao Meow ^;;^
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Winter Roberta[_3_] Quilting 7 December 1st 10 12:57 AM
Winter Irondale Quilting 1 November 24th 10 01:01 AM
roadtrip and 2 days of S.E.X. Ceridwen - C & S Quilting 1 December 30th 06 06:15 PM
S.E.X. roadtrip off kilter [email protected] Quilting 3 February 27th 06 03:46 AM
Winter is here. jheller Yarn 1 February 6th 06 07:21 PM