OT More on the NightMist Saga

Old September 24th 11, 07:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default OT More on the NightMist Saga

Here's hoping for the fibroids and your quick and complete recovery.

Hang in there.

Claudia

Old September 24th 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

Ginger in CA wrote:
NM, that sounds very similar to what the situation was with my
fibroids. They couldn't do ultrasound or pelvic because they were so
huge. The anemia was so bad the dr didn't understand how I was working
or even out of bed. And then they told me if I had a car accident, I
would never make it to the hospital. When they did the surgery [after
3 months of trying to get me into medical menopause], the fibroids
weighed 12 pounds.

Really hoping the issue for you is fibroids, the least of the three
evils.
Ginger in CA

I have two fibroids that gave me hell. The little pests are about 2 cm
in size. I can't imagine a 12 lb one. Bled like crazy, was anemic and
finally was able to go to the doctor for it. We didn't have insurance
and I thought I was in perimenopause.

This about 9 or 10 years ago. So at 52 I am still on birth control pills
to keep the fibroids under control. I still don't have any signs of
perimenopause.

Mary Helen in Arizona
Old September 24th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Go fibroids! I'm rooting for those too. So many doctors! You are
clearly a fine example for someone. Hope you're home again and able to
relax in your own bed! got anybody on task to provide TLC?
Roberta in D

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:10:14 +0000, NightMist
wrote:

I am all poked full of holes, have three hospital bracelets, and my back
is just killing me from laying about on gurneys and hospital beds.

So Wednesday I went and had my bloodwork done, and the ultrasounds, and
the chest x-ray. If I have to fast for tests I am by gosh only going to
do it once!

Wednesday evening, yes after office hours, the clinic called and said
that the doctor wanted to see me first thing in the morning. I did not
feel that this boded well.

Much to my surprise, what she wanted to see me about was my hematocrit.
I was _very_ anemic, the actual result on the test was 4. She told me "I
am not understanding how you are standing up and walking around when you
are this anemic!" Apparently 4 on that test is bad enough to warrant
drastic action. Next thing you know I am in the ER with half a ream of
paperwork. I spent about 12 hours in The ER being poked and prodded by
five different doctors. One of them wanted to do surgery immediately and
so they acted accordingly and starved me all day. They had me admitted
by evening and I spent the night in the hospital getting two units of
blood, while another half dozen doctors went over my tests. At least
they fed me after I was admitted.

This morning I saw two more doctors and they discharged me. I go up to
Roswell on Tuesday.
Apparently the mass in my tummy is so huge that they could not tell where
it started out from with just the ultrasound, so they did a CAT scan
while I was in the ER. According to the doctors I saw this morning, all
the tests have pretty much narrowed it down to three possibilities, but
until they actually are looking inside me and then do pathology on the
mass they cannot be sure exactly which one it is. The options a An
unusual type of fibroid, endometriosis, or ovarian cancer. I am rooting
for fibroids.

Now I am going to go take a nap as they didn't finish getting the blood
in me until about 2:00 in the morning, and the whole time I was hooked up
to it they were coming in every half hour to check me out and make sure
that I wasn't having a bad reaction. Tired am I!

NightMist

Old September 24th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I am mostly doing OK on the TLC front.
At home I am being treated like I am made of glass.
Even the hospital was treating me like a fragile flower.

It is driving me bonkers!
A little bit of that is nice now and again, but I just can't take it for
long.
I tell my DH that if he just gives me a minute I will manage whatever by
myself, and he gives me an evil grin and says "Suffer Baby!" then helps
me or does it for me anyway.

Honestly, I can walk to the bathroom all by myself without anybody
hovering.
If I survive this fussing I can survive anything.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 24th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Honestly, I can walk to the bathroom all by myself without anybody
hovering.
If I survive this fussing I can survive anything.

I'm with you there. I hate being mollycoddled. I like a bit of
'affection', but enablement, please. Thank you!

Good luck.
Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old September 24th 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Goodness anyone would be exhausted after all that! No wonder you need
a nap.

Prayers and positive vibes are being sent that those fibroids are the
culpret. And hugs, of course!!

-Irene
Old September 24th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 24/09/2011 02:35, NightMist wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:05:17 +0100, Kate XXXXXX wrote:

On 23/09/2011 18:10, NightMist wrote:

Much to my surprise, what she wanted to see me about was my hematocrit.
I was _very_ anemic, the actual result on the test was 4. She told me
"I am not understanding how you are standing up and walking around when
you are this anemic!" Apparently 4 on that test is bad enough to
warrant drastic action. Next thing you know I am in the ER with half a
ream of paperwork. I spent about 12 hours in The ER being poked and
prodded by five different doctors. One of them wanted to do surgery
immediately and so they acted accordingly and starved me all day. They
had me admitted by evening and I spent the night in the hospital
getting two units of blood, while another half dozen doctors went over
my tests. At least they fed me after I was admitted.

Phew! I'd have been gnawing the leg off any passing stranger that
didn't move fast enough by then! Have they any idea how you got so
anemic? I thought you had a fairly well balanced diet... or do they
think it might be something to do with the mass?

They didn't suggest a cause, they were too busy freaking out. Though
they wrote me some scripts that make me think that they are in agreement
with me about the causes.
My theory is it is the stress on my body combined with my mutation.
At the base of it the mutation causes insufficiency of the folic aid
metabolism. If your body is shorted on folic acid you tend to get what is
called folic acid deficient anemia. You can sit and gnaw on a railroad
spike all day and the iron won't help because without enough folic acid
your body will not use it properly. Combine that with the facts that my
insides are squished up enough that I cannot eat a proper meal at a go,
and during my cycles I have been bleeding hugely, and you have trouble.
I have already been supplementing both folic acid (at a previously
prescribed level, a whole milligram daily), and iron. The doctors
doubled my folic acid supplement, and hugely multiplied the iron.

Tired am I!

I'll bet. Sleep well, love, and keep us posted. We are all keeping you
close over this one. And good luck on Tuedsy. Thinking of you will
keep me grounded over the latest Hairy Eyeball examination. Back to the
Moorfield for a check-up.

Hey best of luck with that eyeball!
Eyes are serious business when something goes wrong, especially when you
use them as intensely as you do!

NightMist

Thanks, dearest! be safe...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 25th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Oh. My! I just now saw this, and your other post about your Dad, and
your siblings. So add my prayers and hugs to everyone else's that I'm
sure were cyber-sent to you. And adding my own AGH!! also.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old September 26th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

(((( Nightmist )))))) Oh baby, you have a wonderful attitude for having been through the wringer. You're in my prayers and thoughts and good energy sendings and everything else. We will simply NOT entertain a thought that this might be anything serious. Of course the outcome will be good. And remember that you are held close in prayer and love through it all.

Hugs,
Sunny
(tell your man that you are both in my prayers -- he needs it as much as you do)
Old September 26th 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

NM, Sending hugs your way. I'm cheering for a best case scenario for this
whole thing. I'm glad they are moving forward with it all and addressing
it all. Take care.
Taria