It went well

Old August 29th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default It went well

I guess I did my job. She left with a mountain of my fabric (LOL), a
borrowed cutting mat, Alex Anderson's "Begin Quilting" and a list of
tools she absolutely must have. I showed her how to straighten the
edge of fabric, measure the strip, square up the ruler and cut with
steady pressure (away from yourself, please!). When the result was two
perfect 8" squares, her mouth fell open and she held them up and said
'Did we do this on purpose or is this an accident?'

By the time she left, she had seen what to do, but of course had no
clue that she can do it. I also sent home with her half of an old bed
sheet so she could practice cutting.

She arrived with a little bag containing a yard of a cute focus print,
another half yard of a coordinating print, and three or four fat
quarters that matched. When we put pencil to paper and worked out the
square inch figure that a 6' square quilt would require, she was a bit
shocked. It hadn't looked like that much fabric when her MIL made a
flannel quilt.

I talked her down to 48" x 60" -- good lap quilt size. And we talked
about talking little swatches along on shopping trips so you can tell
what goes with what.

All in all it was successful. She'll be back. Several times. And I'm
trying to find a good, basic intro to quilting class here locally for
her to take.

Oh yeah, I gave her Gwen Marston's web address. It just may save her
life.

Sunny
Old August 29th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 29, 12:48*pm, Sunny wrote:
[...]

Oh, Sunny. It's a wonderful thing you're doing. It makes me think how
great
it would have been if I'd had a real live person teaching me, instead
of books!
BTW, the first book I worked out of was the Alex Anderson one. I
think
quilting class will be good. That's what I did after I did my first
quilt on my own.
I learned a whole lot more, and it was easier since I'd sort of
figured out a
lot of the basics and the lingo after the 1st effort.

Sherry