Quilting Now?

Old August 23rd 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Quilting Now?

What are you stitching just now?
I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: lions and tigers and
bears. An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
Ah. just right.
And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. planning? stomping
and setting on fire?
It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. So. Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? Polly

Old August 23rd 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

"Polly Esther" wrote:

What are you stitching just now?
I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: lions and tigers and
bears. An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
Ah. just right.
And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. planning? stomping
and setting on fire?
It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. So. Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? Polly

Guild show is the end of September so I am working on the two quilts I
entered. One is from a Carol Doak class, it is mostly quilted (and
will also be a Christmas gift--shhh!). The other is from a Louisa
Smith class, it is not quilted and I am not sure how I plan to do so
(it was a graduation gift so this motivation is good).
Both fall into the "small" category, given the time I believe that is
a good thing.

Mary
Old August 23rd 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I just got a Christmas tree skirt pattern in the mail the other day. Your
timing is about right on. I am working on some home dec stuff now. I just
finished some pillow covers for the front room and am headed to do some
curtains as soon as the lining gets here.
Mercury is retrograde right now which has little meaning to most people but
it is a great time to finish things. For the next 3 or 4 weeks go into a
finish it up mode and then the time is better to start new projects. I
hope to finish up my tumblers quilt in the next few weeks too.
Except for our stellar finisher RM most of us have plenty of UFO's.
Your jungle symphony sounds quite fun. I just hope the lion doesn't eat
the bunny!
Taria

Old August 23rd 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Nothing as exciting as your jungle! I worked on a swap-block quilt today - all that's left is to put the
borders on. I'm ready to start on a fall-ish table runner - I have the fabric; I just done know what pattern I
want to use. And I have a baby quilt on the frame to quilt.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old August 23rd 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Home dec? Now there's a project I need to get going on. There's quite a
collection of wooden spools of thread and a few smaller ones that contained
silk button hole twist here. I've thought of getting a lamp with an empty
base usually for filling with sea shells and putting the special old wooden
things in it.
It also crosses my mind that a lamp shade of quilt blocks might be fun.
Any body tried it? Polly

Old August 23rd 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Aug 22, 9:59*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
What are you stitching just now?
* * I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: *lions and tigers and
bears. *An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. *The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
* * Ah. *just right.
* * And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. *planning? *stomping
and setting on fire?
* * It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? *And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. *So. *Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? * Polly

I'm working on one of those Frugal Patch quilts to use up some pretty
batik pieces I've got. And swearing I am not *buying* one scrap of
fabric to finish this quilt. That's how using-up-stash quilts always
backfire on me.
Yes! I am entering the county fair this week. First time ever I have
entered. Here are the 2 quilts I'm entering. (I think you've seen them
before) The baby quilts isn't too original. I think there will be
several
like it since LQS sold that fabric, but what the heck. Wish me luck!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...76942560KvzVaZ

Sherry
Old August 23rd 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Golly, I have these hand made wooden lamps. My dad made them before I was
born. I was in the right place at the right time and they found home here.
They needed shades but are kind of put together in an odd way. I made
shades out of solid fabric some years ago. How could it never have occurred
to me to do quilt blocks? They would have worked out really well for the
particular weird harold lamps. You try it and please report back. I am
busy making pillow covers the wrong size for the forms I bought.

Old August 23rd 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
What are you stitching just now?

Unfortunately, my machine is still in the shop, so I am not stitching
anything just now. It will get back tomorrow, at least that is what they
told me, and when it does I will finish the yoga mat I am working on.

The 5" binding is how much I thought was needed to hold the non-slip stuff
in place securely. Even if it is too much, I needed that much to cover up a
mistake...I mean design change that I made. At first I planned to make it
the top "look like" a regular quilt - the squares in the center, a border
around the edges, then binding to hold in the non-slip stuff/cover the rough
edges.

Then I changed my mind and decided to have the squares go all the way out to
the edge, but the first row of blocks was measured as if I were going with
my first design, and the border has to be 5 inches wide to cover the
difference in size between the 2. Or I will just tell people that using an
extra wide binding is my "artistic style."

I am also esperimenting, where I can, with using the glue sticks rather than
pins.

I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: lions and tigers and
bears.

OH MY!

Brian Christiansen

Old August 23rd 10, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On 23 Aug, 17:17, "Brian Christiansen"
wrote:
[...]

Making a Japanese fabrics throw quilt for the TV room. I bought the 4"
squares and an assortment of some other fabrics in Japan in May last.
Alternating some sashiko stitched plain blocks on indigo blue
squares. I'm up to the machine quilting so the end is in sight. Will
post pix next week. I've really enjoyed doing a block quilt for a
change g.
Hugs
Bronnie
Old August 23rd 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Kate and I went to the NEC Festival of quilts on Saturday.

So now I am working on:
1) Wholecloth quilt for friends (started before I went)
2) A 'Through a window' Japanese quilt for an aunt in Canada (quick
make)
3) A charm square lap quilt (on the Design wall, maturing)

And by the end of ther day, if Kate has her way, I'll be making a
fitted waistcoat/vest.

Add to that my ongoing quest to play seriously with the embroidery
part of my SM and master using an Aunt Becky, or any other under
thimble method.

But we were soo good and the Show had lots left for the people who
came to buy on Sunday.

It was a close run thing... so many pretties...

Nel
(Gadget Queen)