quilt spotting

Old October 10th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default quilt spotting

Our DVR is set to record anything with the word "quilt" in the
description. Antiques Roadshow occasionally appraises a quilt. Reba
made a quilt for her grandchild. Others also have stories worked
around quilts but I can't think of any right now. If others appear I
will try to notify the group although by the time I notice the
recording the show has long been shown. My new camera takes a decent
photograph of a paused TV program. Guess I should always keep my
camera handy, pause and photograph any sightings.

Susan

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 00:57:58 -0700 (PDT), Claudia
wrote:

Good morning everyone!

My day already started 3 hours ago (and it's Saturday!!).

While waiting for the rest of the family to wake up, I'm playing
around on the computer. And I've had it with facebook games so I
thought of something else: how many of us can name tv series or movies
in which quilts are featured; they don't necessarily have to be the
theme or even mentioned at all; just that there are quilts visible.

Here's some I've come up with

Army Wives (tv series)
How to Make an American Quilt (movie)
Sally Hemings: An American Scandal (movie)

Come on, show me yours!

Claudia

Old October 14th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Grandma Bert

Seinfeld: On the wall behind Elaine's bed.
Friends: Over the back of the couch in Rachel's/Monica's apartment

Bert in Rice, WA
Old October 14th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

Claudia wrote:
Good morning everyone!

My day already started 3 hours ago (and it's Saturday!!).

While waiting for the rest of the family to wake up, I'm playing
around on the computer. And I've had it with facebook games so I
thought of something else: how many of us can name tv series or movies
in which quilts are featured; they don't necessarily have to be the
theme or even mentioned at all; just that there are quilts visible.

Here's some I've come up with

Army Wives (tv series)
How to Make an American Quilt (movie)
Sally Hemings: An American Scandal (movie)

Come on, show me yours!

Claudia

Rosanne's Nuts, Rosanne Barr has a Hawaiian quilt on her bed.
Old October 14th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:01:32 -0500, Mary O'Neill wrote
(in article ):

Claudia wrote:
Good morning everyone!

My day already started 3 hours ago (and it's Saturday!!).

While waiting for the rest of the family to wake up, I'm playing
around on the computer. And I've had it with facebook games so I
thought of something else: how many of us can name tv series or movies
in which quilts are featured; they don't necessarily have to be the
theme or even mentioned at all; just that there are quilts visible.

Here's some I've come up with

Army Wives (tv series)
How to Make an American Quilt (movie)
Sally Hemings: An American Scandal (movie)

Come on, show me yours!

Claudia

Rosanne's Nuts, Rosanne Barr has a Hawaiian quilt on her bed.

I've seen quilts hanging on walls in various Law and Order episodes as
detectives are interviewing witnesses.

Maureen

Old October 15th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Traveling thru' eastern Iowa this week, we came across some of this:
http://www.barnquiltsiowa.com/

Poor Gene, driving along minding his own business when I yelped, "QUILT!
On that barn, there's a quilt: LOOOOOOOOK!" Of course he pulled over & took
pictures. ;-P Spotted 3 in a matter of 5 minutes: awesome!

Could even see them thru' the Rear Window, Polly. g

Ragmop/Sandy - quilt spotter from waaaaaay back ;-P

On 10/8/11 10:12 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

I don't guess I can remember the names of even two movies; maybe the Bridge
Over the River Kwaii and The Wizard of Oz . . . but that's about it. I
don't even know the name of my favorite movie but it's the one with Jimmy
Stewart and Grace Kelly where they investigate a murder from his window
while he's confined because of a broken leg. Love that movie.
So. I can't play in the quilt spotting with names but I do carefully
watch to see if a quilt appears and what its block pattern might be. Polly

"Linda" wrote in message
the movie My Favorite Wife with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne

Old October 15th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

Hey! Where in Eastern Iowa were you? You weren't far from Kathyl or me
(or maybe even Mary in Rock Island)!

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old October 25th 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default quilt spotting & LQSes

Howdy!

I did wave out the window & say "Howdy, RCTQers!" (Gene's used to it.)

It was a nice trip from Osceola, Iowa, over to Princeton, Il. along
Rt.34. Beautiful drive. We stopped in Bishop Hill (thanks for the heads
up, Nann) http://www.bishophill.com/
where the first thing I spotted was the quilt shop. Then we dropped by
the Bakery. Lovely little village; esp. beautiful right now w/ the glowing
foliage. And more quilts.

In Princeton, Old Times Quilters Heaven is still crowded w/ fabric; their
sale tables yielded some great bargains, $1, $2, $3 per yard
(no good fabric goes to waste). http://www.oldtimes-quiltersheaven.com/
They've got fabric going back for years (decades); they haven't raised the
prices on the older bolts, so there are many good deals here.
And they have the original Jinny Beyer collection on the shelves!! It looks
to be in good condition, too.

Another quilt spotting was at Log Cabin Quilt shop in Lincoln, Il.
Appropriate name for a quilt shop in this little city.
http://logcabinquiltshoplincoln.com/
The clerk working that day is a former art teacher from the high school;
perfect follow-up to her first career.

After that, a load of wine from Alto Vineyards & a couple of bushels of
Illinois apples joined the pkgs from the quilt shops; it was a good
vacation. ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy - not forgetting the other quilt shop in Princeton:
http://www.quiltersgardenonline.com/
my mom now lives across the street from this shop, which is quite
similar to many quilt shops I've visited; Old Times on the north end
of town is unique, a treasure cave of fabric ...

Old October 26th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Glad you discovered Old Times Quilters Heaven. It is truly a unique
place. It is the one place you can find the little extra bit of fabric
to match the leftovers in your stash. I am sure there is fabric in the
shop from 1970's because last time I was there maybe two years ago I
found some bicentennial fabric from 1976! But they keep getting the
new stuff. I can't remember that they had a sales area. That might be
something new. Where was the sales fabric in the store? Maybe it is
time for another field trip.

Susan

Old October 26th 11, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

And thanks to both of you for mentioning Bishop Hill! Mom was talking
about someplace she and her husband had been in Illinois that was a
Swedish or Norwegian community, but she couldn't remember the name. All
she could remember was that it was on their way to Kewanee.

I called and asked if it might have been Bishop Hill and yep, that was
it! So thanks for clearing up that mystery.

We drove through Lincoln earlier this month, but since I was in a car
with three non-quilters (although two probably would have been willing
to stop), I didn't do any quilt shop exploring. However, if we decide on
a little overnight trip sometime soon, it sounds like there are some
good possibilities if we head east.

Old October 26th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

I've been a fan of Old Times Q.H. for more than 10 yrs. They've
organized & cleaned it up some since last year; The Lacery is now in the
front, north-side corner of the shop. The amount of fabric is truly
amazing. New stuff, too.
When I was a little kid the building was a hotel & coffee shop; we used
to go there for a snack, & always took a pkg of M&Ms home with us. ;-)
It's about 4 blocks from our old house, so I'm rather fond of the idea of
shopping there. The train station is across the street, another place
we hung around, watched the dinner train come in from Chicago on its way
to Des Moines.

Back to the big quilt: a couple of lovely people at church started a
community garden project in the back acreage; it's been a huge success.
I rootled lots of garden, farming, veggie, fruit, birds & butterflies fabric
from my stash for a big, scrappy quilt for these precious people.

Ragmop/Sandy

On 10/26/11 9:28 AM, in article ,
"Susan Laity Price" wrote:

[...]

Any one wanna chat? Quilt Show, Quilt Police Free room Bronnie Quilting 2 March 31st 09 06:22 PM
Anyone wanna chat -- Quilt Show room Quilt Police free Bronnie Quilting 0 March 26th 08 06:31 AM
quilt spotting... Dannielle Quilting 13 February 5th 06 10:03 PM
Win $500 for designing a quilt in Electric Quilt - Planet Patchwork contest [email protected] Quilting 0 November 17th 05 04:53 PM
Spotting in Super Sculpy how to stop ? Neo Hawkeye Polymer Clay 9 May 15th 05 06:56 AM