Ping: Laurie G. in CA

Old August 24th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Default Ping: Laurie G. in CA

Taira, our town used to do curb side pick up but I guess it didn't pay for
it's self because they stopped.. WalMart, a grocery store, and recycle
bins behind the police dept. are available to recycle and also get
cardboard. These are pretty full most of the time. So that shows that a
lot of people DO
recycle. I guess just not enough to have the curb side pick up anymore.
This past winter when I was in Florida we had a party where you had to make
a costume out of trash and wear it to get in and qualify for a prize. I
wasn't the 'best dressed' but it was fun. I wore a black garbage bag as a
poncho and used tape to hold empty macaroni and other small boxes on the
side..
Barbara

Old August 26th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Our grandson went to one of those. He wore an apron covered in cereal boxes
with plastic spoons poked here and there. He was a 'cereal killer'.
And . . . I wonder: are we swatting at gnats? If I can buy a new
printer for $32 and new ink cartridges the old one for $40 ....???? i.e.
large things that have built-in disposable really gripe me. Polly

"Bobbie Sews More" ...

Old August 26th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT Recycling was Ping: Laurie G. in CA

Bingo! Polly. That is really probably why I am so irked about the whole
thing. I do the reduce, reuse, recycle thing probably more than most but
less than some.
I don't need no stinking, lousy politician ruling over my grocery shopping
when there is so darned much waste coming from them.
Taria

Old August 26th 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:41:50 -0500, Taria wrote
(in article ):

Bingo! Polly. That is really probably why I am so irked about the whole
thing. I do the reduce, reuse, recycle thing probably more than most but
less than some.
I don't need no stinking, lousy politician ruling over my grocery shopping
when there is so darned much waste coming from them.
Taria

I agree. Stupid law, though I try really hard to remember our reusable bags
when I go shopping. I need a lightweight one that will fold up into my purse
for things like TSWLTH though.

We've done much better at reducing paper trash at home since we've switched
to cloth napkins.

Maureen

Old August 26th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

I have made lots of clothe napkins out of leftover quilty fabric. Those
just big enough get surged edges & if there are too many, they become gifts!
Since we have begun composting & recycling I have noticed that the amount of
trash has gone down too. I try to buy food stuff in as little packaging as
possible. Hard to find sometimes, but if there is too much packaging I
don't buy that brand.

Nana........also got me a rain barrel~*~*~*~

Old August 27th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Our county here in NY recycles...not only do you have to recycle
paper, but glass bottles, plastic containers (like milk jugs) and
aluminum foils. we have 4 separate clear trash bags to separate them
all. then we have a separate container for returnables: 5cent soda
cans, etc., and water bottles. There is a corner of the garage set up
for all this, and the garbage is put in the can for the garbage
pickup, still using plastic bags for garbage, as we live in a
developement and don't compost anything.
I also keep several tote bags in the car for shopping. some homemade,
some bought at the grocery stores. i really like them. i have a
special freezer one for meats.
amy in CNY (but only till 10/11/10)!!!
Old August 28th 10, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/kitchen.html

I saw this in a catalog and was intrigued. Anybody tried one? Looks
perfect for people with no space outdoors, and has the advantage of
being able to take any kind of food waste including meat.
Roberta in D

Old August 28th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have heard of that bakashi stuff. There is a whole world of that kind of
thing that is kind of foreign to most of us.
Between eating a lot of fruits and vegetable and eating out very seldom I
don't think the size would work for us. I'm not sure how fast twice as fast
as regular composting is. Seems like if could be a good start for a lot of
folks. I am lucky and have lots of room here to compost outside. Try is
and report back?
Taria
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
news
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/kitchen.html

I saw this in a catalog and was intrigued. Anybody tried one? Looks
perfect for people with no space outdoors, and has the advantage of
being able to take any kind of food waste including meat.
Roberta in D

Ping Laurie G in Vallejo Pauline[_2_] Quilting 12 July 19th 09 04:14 PM
Looking for Laurie Rusty1215 Yarn 0 June 28th 04 09:42 PM
Att'n: Laurie in WA Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 January 13th 04 09:51 PM
LAURIE 6x6 on the way [email protected] Yarn 1 October 16th 03 06:03 AM
Liz Laurie . Pottery 0 September 11th 03 04:38 AM