Katrina/Rita Christmas

Old October 18th 05, 12:48 PM
Leanne

Default Katrina/Rita Christmas

Is there any type of "clearing house" that we could send Christmas ornaments
and/or decorations for the folks who have lost all of that? I have no idea
where or how things get disseminated to people who could use things like
this. It would be fun to make (or buy) some of these things and send
there. I am sure that with all the essentials that are still being
replaced that it's hard to think of buying decorations. I remember when we
had a local flood here, so many of our citizens had stored their Christmas
items in the basement. Who rescues that when the waters come in June? Not
many!

Just a thought......

Leanne in Minnesota

Old October 18th 05, 08:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Leanne:
My Parish has a Sister Parish in Moss Point, Mississippi. Our
newest bulletin has a notice that we will collect Christmas
Ornaments for the families there. The Parish staff will
distribute I guess. I have a small quilt I made in a December
Mystery a few years ago. It never seemed at home here. I guess
that is because it needs to go to Mississippi!
Perhaps you can send to a Church, or to the Salvation Army. Of
course it would be best o get the okay before you ship andy thing.
PAT in VA/USA

Old October 18th 05, 10:03 PM
Don/Gen

I've wondered the same thing myself. There are so many thousands needing
things like this. I wonder if we connected the Red Cross in our own areas
they would give us names of people that are in apartments, etc. I'd love to
do this.
Gen

Old October 18th 05, 11:01 PM
Polly Esther

I don't want to say this, I don't even want to think it - but please do aim
your love gifts carefully. It would be such a tragedy to send anything only
to have it sold at a garage sale for 17 cents. Do what you can to be sure
that someone who truly has lost their treasures (and quilts and Christmas
ornaments certainly are) receives what you send. There are thieves and the
greedy among us; not to mention cheats, frauds, shysters and assorted other
corrupt parasites.
There I said it. This caution is not meant to tarnish any act of
kindness you're contemplating - but do find a good contact. Polly

Old October 18th 05, 11:13 PM
Debbi

Kappa Delta Sorority is collecting through a program called Kids Need to
be Kids. They are in need of books, games, toys, and anything else so
that kids can have a really good Christmas. They just sent 14 pallets of
donations to the Gulf Coast. More information on the home page--
http://kappadelta.org
http://kappadelta.org/NewsItem.aspx?...2005-10-14.xml

Debbi in SO CA

Leanne wrote:
Is there any type of "clearing house" that we could send Christmas ornaments
and/or decorations for the folks who have lost all of that? I have no idea
where or how things get disseminated to people who could use things like
this. It would be fun to make (or buy) some of these things and send
there. I am sure that with all the essentials that are still being
replaced that it's hard to think of buying decorations. I remember when we
had a local flood here, so many of our citizens had stored their Christmas
items in the basement. Who rescues that when the waters come in June? Not
many!

Just a thought......

Leanne in Minnesota

OT - the 12 cats of Christmas Kandice Seeber Beads 6 December 16th 04 03:31 PM
OT - Favorite Time of the Year vj Beads 2 December 8th 04 02:22 AM
OT - A Dog's Christmas Promises LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 5 December 24th 03 04:14 AM
Merry Christmas Cats spampot Sewing 0 December 21st 03 10:52 PM
eQuilter 12 Days of Christmas Sale, Robyn Pandolph Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 10:51 AM