Spammers- sheeeeeit

Old April 9th 05, 11:02 PM
Armand Vine

Default Spammers- sheeeeeit

I have been getting spam from myself according to the return address. Please
check anything with my name on it before opening it.
It is my "vine at snowcrest.net" email that has been hijacked.
sorry if it gets you. it honestly isn't me.
Armand
--

http://www.dvinedzines.com

Old April 10th 05, 12:40 AM
VManes

Lot of it going around. For the last couple of weeks, we've been getting
bounce messages for spam sent with my wife's domain as the return address,
though the sender name is always something bogus, if not downright
gibberish, like Ouellettemteygml@am......

And the targets of this crap are all over the world - I'm seeing stuff
bouncing from Asia and Europe, as well as all sorts of US ISPs.

Val

Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com
***************************
Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.
***************************

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
I HATE that! It's happened to me, too. I hate feeling like people think
I'm spamming them.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old April 10th 05, 01:25 AM
Dawn >^..^

Um...I hate to mention the "V" word here, but the same thing happened to me
about a year ago and it was a virus sending email to people I had never even
heard of without my knowledge. Something stupid like "Want to see Britney
Spears naked?" and it had me as the sender. (How embarrassing!) AOL even
suspended my account because of it. AOL told me to scan for a virus and sure
enough.... I updated my virus definition files and killed the little worm!
Haven't had it happen again.

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

Old April 10th 05, 02:12 AM
Sarajane Helm

hey everybody--many viruses "spoof" the name in the "from" header---it takes
an address from the infected computer's address book, along with all the
addys it mails itself to. Most times the "from" header is NOT where its from
at all.

Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art
www.polyclay.com
see the current auctions at:
http://snipurl.com/aiid

Old April 10th 05, 02:25 AM
FurPaw

I can't advise too strongly the need for getting, using daily, and
keeping up-to-date an antivirus program. I use Norton Anti-Virus,
but there are other good ones out there.

(I also use Spybot and Ad-aware and Norton Internet Security,
including Norton Firewall, and we have a router interposed between
us and the internet. We're not paranoid. Nope, not us. And we've
been virus-free for a long time (knock wood!)).

Carol in NM

Sarajane Helm wrote:
[...]

Born to live a life of leisure, still waiting for it to happen.

To reply, unleash the dog
Old April 10th 05, 03:16 AM
Armand Vine

I am running Norton anti virus daily as well as spybot search & destroy,
ad-aware and spyware blaster.
If it got thru all that it must be one strong bug.

Old April 10th 05, 03:43 AM
FurPaw

Armand Vine wrote:
I have been getting spam from myself according to the return address. Please
check anything with my name on it before opening it.
It is my "vine at snowcrest.net" email that has been hijacked.
sorry if it gets you. it honestly isn't me.
Armand

For
everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-spam-but-were-afraid-to-ask,
here's a free article in the current Scientific American about it.

http://snipurl.com/dx55

Carol in NM

Old April 10th 05, 04:40 AM
Dawn >^..^

I had Norton running when my bug got through cause I hadn't updated my
definition files as often as I should have. I have Norton Corporate, and run
my live update once a week now....along with Spybot and AOL's spyware
zapper. But I still can't seem to kill the pop-ups when I surf using
Internet Explorer. It's like playing a video game...I just keep shootin' em
down and shootin' em down! Grrrrr!!!!

Old April 10th 05, 05:48 AM
FurPaw

Dawn ^..^ wrote:
I had Norton running when my bug got through cause I hadn't updated my
definition files as often as I should have. I have Norton Corporate, and run
my live update once a week now....along with Spybot and AOL's spyware
zapper. But I still can't seem to kill the pop-ups when I surf using
Internet Explorer. It's like playing a video game...I just keep shootin' em
down and shootin' em down! Grrrrr!!!!

Mozilla's Firefox does a good job of blocking popup windows, and has
a setting that lets you turn this capability on or off. And it's free.

Carol in NM