pattern storage

Old January 12th 05, 02:43 AM
Atom1

"Ward" wrote in message

It's worse then I let on. I was buying an extra 1/8 yard of fabric just

so
I could organize my stash. In the store I'd write down all the

information
from the end of the bolt and the yardage amounts onto index cards. Then

I'd
go home, cut a swatch off the extra yardage, and staple it to the card.
Just in case I wanted to match the fabric with something else, I'd cut

about
a 4 inch square, clean finish the edges with the serger, put a button

hole
in the corner, and then stick it on one of those big snap-apart binder

rings
you get in the office supply store. When I'd go shopping at fabric

sales,
I'd snap apart the ring, snap it closed onto my handbag strap, and use

it to
compare fabrics / colors at the sale. Before putting away the new

fabric
I'd make a copy of the info on the index card and pin it to the edge of

the
fabric so I wouldn't forget the washing instructions, etc. I finally
dropped the index cards and the fabric swatch habits, but I still tag

the
fabric before putting it away and scan the patterns I buy. I keep the

cards around as a reminded to remain in control. I'm a really addicted

this stuff.

My friend suffers from OCD, she is a compulsive listmaker/organizer
instead of medicating her, I could exploit (harness) her compulsion. I bet
my sewing room would cure her.

Michelle
Italy

Old January 12th 05, 03:28 AM
Valkyrie

There's medication for this behavior now........*shiver!*

Val

"BEI Design" wrote in message

"Ward" wrote in message
groups.com...
snip

Oooooowwwww, make it stop!
;-

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old January 12th 05, 04:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

snip

Oooooowwwww, make it stop!
;-

Sit over here by me, Beverly, and we'll delight in pattern serendipity, as
we root through our boxes to find what we're looking for, and a few treasures
we forgot we had. g

Kay

Old January 12th 05, 08:55 AM
BEI Design

Kay Lancaster wrote:

Sit over here by me, Beverly, and we'll delight in pattern
serendipity, as we root through our boxes to find what we're
looking for, and a few treasures we forgot we had. g

Gosh, thanks, Kay. Do you have some tea? I feel so inadequate when people
have these super-efficient storage solutions. My patterns are grouped in
shoes boxes for each of the family members I sew for, sorted front to back:
shirts-skirts-dresses-pants-jackets-coats-nightwear-misc, with a swatch of
whatever was made, and maybe some notes....and it works for me. But I'm
currently in the process of sorting and culling stash and supplies so I can
make room for my new embroidery machine.

What's that you say??? Too many machines?! Naw. ;-)

Old January 12th 05, 01:13 PM
Trish Brown

Atom1 wrote:

My friend suffers from OCD, she is a compulsive listmaker/organizer
instead of medicating her, I could exploit (harness) her compulsion. I bet
my sewing room would cure her.

Michelle
Italy

Oh! I'm only human! I have to reply to this!

My adult son also suffers from OCD and Asperger's Syndrome. Guess who
gets to toss the salad, shake the dressing, make the milkshakes and
unclog the tomato sauce bottle at our house? Darling DS is very open
about his compulsions and his perseverations - he makes them work for
him - and it's *so* handy for me, too! LOL!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old January 12th 05, 02:46 PM
Barbara Raper

Think your son would lie to visit me and see the USA for a couple of
weeks??? My sewing room could definately use up some of his energy
cleaning. LOL
Barbara in FL & SC

Old January 12th 05, 04:11 PM
Trish Brown

Barbara Raper wrote:

Think your son would lie to visit me and see the USA for a couple of
weeks??? My sewing room could definately use up some of his energy
cleaning. LOL
Barbara in FL & SC

Nono! He's mine! *Mine*, I tell you! Obsessive cleanliness can be such a
boon to a household! ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old January 12th 05, 05:16 PM
Ward

DRUGS! What a good idea! I can divide them by colors, and sizes, and
....... :-) It's a illness for sure.

Liz

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
There's medication for this behavior now........*shiver!*

Val

"BEI Design" wrote in message

"Ward" wrote in message
groups.com...
snip

Oooooowwwww, make it stop!
;-

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old January 12th 05, 05:24 PM
Ward

Oh my God! Now I realize what my mother is up too when she "invites" me
over, asks to get something out of the kitchen cabinets, and then goes off
to watch a little TV. Meanwhile I'm moving all the stuff around the kitchen
and announcing at the end of the day, "Now Mother, the blue bowls are in
this cabinet, pots over here, and I put the coffee cups near the coffee
maker", etc. I've been used! And by my own mother! Well the blue bowls do
look good together. Want me to tell you saga of my colored spools of thread
and the nightmare when I discover I have one extra and no empty place to put
it? I should create a web site and put up photos, share the madness ....

Liz

Old January 12th 05, 05:31 PM
Karen Maslowski

LOL Oh, Liz, this is so very funny, especially that you've just now
figured it out! Good thing we had this little discussion, isn't it?

It's also a good thing that you don't really mind!

Still laughing,
Karen Maslowski in Ohio