Invisible Zipper

Old January 9th 04, 07:11 PM
Cherry Delaney

Default Invisible Zipper

Over Christmas I was trying to sew a velvet dress and thought the invisible
zipper would look nice. The first attempt, I melted the zipper teeth, the
second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the teeth. Do any of you have
good experience with either a Bernina or Viking and what foot did you use to
sew the zipper in place? Thanks!

Cherry

Old January 9th 04, 07:33 PM
Sally Holmes

Cherry Delaney wrote:
Over Christmas I was trying to sew a velvet dress and thought the
invisible zipper would look nice. The first attempt, I melted the
zipper teeth, the second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the
teeth. Do any of you have good experience with either a Bernina or
Viking and what foot did you use to sew the zipper in place? Thanks!

The pintuck foot on the Viking works well.

Sally

Old January 9th 04, 10:00 PM
unbroken

"Cherry Delaney" wrote in message
Over Christmas I was trying to sew a velvet dress and thought the

invisible
zipper would look nice. The first attempt, I melted the zipper teeth, the
second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the teeth. Do any of you have
good experience with either a Bernina or Viking and what foot did you use

sew the zipper in place? Thanks!

Cherry

They make invisible zipper foots especially for that.

Isabella

Old January 9th 04, 11:37 PM
velma929

I just learned a new trick for inserting invisible zippers this month!

Sew the seam up to the point where the bottom edge of the zipper would
end. Machine-baste the seam closed where the zipper will be inserted.
Your garment is inside out. You will set this up just as if you were
going to baste a regular zipper in, on a single layer of the seam
allowance. Unzip the zipper, do not press, and place the teeth as
close to the seam line as possible. Use the fold of the invisible
zipper as a guide, and stitch in the crease, carefully folding the
teeth as flat (to the basted-closed seam) as you can just ahead of
the zipper. Rearrange your garment so the other side of the zipper
can be sewn to the other seam allowance the same way. I did this with
a regular foot on my ancient Bernina 830, but I may have adjusted the
needle position. When the basting is taken out, the fabric rolls over
the zipper perfectly.
Old January 10th 04, 02:14 AM
Maniac Rose

http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_serging...277028,00.html
I think this is the show that I saw on how to insert an invisible zipper,
but it has a few hints on how to do it on this page, and it will be shown
again on March 19, 2004. so if the page doesn't help, then you can wait and
watch it, hopefully you can get DIY, I know some cable companies don't have
that, the small satellite dishes have it.
well good luck with that, hope it helps.
Maniac Rose

Old January 10th 04, 02:27 AM
Polly Esther

Now you have heard from the highly skilled. If you are not one, may I
recommend this? Buy the invisible zipper foot. It doesn't require lots of
experience if you are using the funny looking foot made for invisible
zippers. Before you tackle putting it in your lovely velvet, do a practice
run. Sew two pieces of scraps, velvet or something else, together and set
your stitch length on long and tension loose. Put that zipper in your trial
piece a time or two until you are comfortable with how it works (and doesn't
work). Don't forget to set your stitch length and tension back before you do
the real thing.
And a word of warning. An invisible zipper will not take very much
strain. I put one in a lovely velvet garment and it just opened up when I
breathed. I barely weigh 100 pounds and the zipper acted like I had put on
50 pounds of holiday feasts. Invisible zippers are a gorgeous touch but
maybe not suitable through a waistline - unless, of course, you really want
to attract attention. Polly

m...

Old January 10th 04, 08:58 AM
Claire Owen

"Cherry Delaney" a écrit dans le message de news:
Over Christmas I was trying to sew a velvet dress and thought the

invisible
zipper would look nice. The first attempt, I melted the zipper teeth, the
second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the teeth. Do any of you have
good experience with either a Bernina or Viking and what foot did you use

sew the zipper in place? Thanks!

Cherry

I have a Bernina 1030 and use the normal zipper foot for invisible zips,
foot No 4 . But Kate is right it nearly impossible to sew too close to the
edge.
Claire

Old January 10th 04, 05:02 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Viking has a new invisible zipper foot, which I've bought but haven't
tried yet. The other times I've used ivisible zippers, I've used my "C"
foot (manual buttonhole) and adjusted the needle position to close (but
not too close) to the zipper teeth. I actually have instructions from
Viking that I can email you if you like.

Maureen

Old January 10th 04, 07:09 PM
Penny S

Claire Owen scribbled on a scrap of paper:
"Cherry Delaney" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
Over Christmas I was trying to sew a velvet dress and thought the
invisible zipper would look nice. The first attempt, I melted the
zipper teeth, the second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the
teeth. Do any of you have good experience with either a Bernina or
Viking and what foot did you use to sew the zipper in place? Thanks!

Cherry

I have a Bernina 1030 and use the normal zipper foot for invisible
zips, foot No 4 . But Kate is right it nearly impossible to sew too
close to the edge.
Claire

same here for Bernina ( 1130) at the price of Bernina feet, I improvise
whenever possible

Penny S

Old January 11th 04, 04:34 AM

Invisible Zipper

(Cherry=A0Delaney)
snip
the second attempt, my foot sewed too close to the teeth.
snip
---
Generally, when my foot is too close to the teeth, it is because my
foot is in my mouth.
I get in that position occasionally.
Cea