recommendation for Kenmore

Old October 12th 04, 05:59 AM
Patturn27

Default recommendation for Kenmore

Has anyone bought a kenmore sewing machine recently? Which one would you
recommend? I have in mind the basic $150 model. Can anyone tell me about its
track record? Does it sew a good stitch consistently? Any advice on the Sears
machines would be very much appreciated.

TIA, Linda
Old October 12th 04, 06:26 AM
~KK in BC~

I adore my Kenmore machines. I have a newish one that is a 10 stitch and it
has never let me down or missed a beat. I keep her cleaned and oiled
properly and she hums along for me like a dream. I also am the proud owner
of an older Kenmore, it uses cams and has all kinds of weird looking
attachments and it to thread it is a nightmare...but to sew with it? Oh
again, a dream machine for me, never missed a stitch yet that wasn't of my
own oopsing.
I bought the older one because the newer one is a freearm, great for garment
sewing but I found it a tad hard for quilting. The older one is in a cabinet
so the sewing plate is level with my work surface. It was just a preference
of mine that I didn't like to pick up my pieces and put them 'up' into my
machine. I would buy another Kenmore in a heartbeat Ultimately it is YOUR
preferences that guide you to a machine though. (I have been garment sewing
since I was 10 years old and quilting is a recent development for me)
~KK~

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://community.webshots.com/user/koffeekupz

'The road to success
is not a path you find,
but a trail you blaze.'
-- Robert Brault

Old October 12th 04, 11:12 AM
georg

Patturn27 wrote:

Has anyone bought a kenmore sewing machine recently? Which one would you
recommend? I have in mind the basic $150 model. Can anyone tell me about its
track record? Does it sew a good stitch consistently? Any advice on the Sears
machines would be very much appreciated.

TIA, Linda

I bought one 8 years ago and loved it very much, but it died this past
spring. I don't that's how long a sewing machine should last.

-georg

Old October 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Carolyn McCarty

I've had a Kenmore since 1977, and it's wonderful for lots of things. It's
a workhorse, seldom needs attention other than cleaning or oiling, and it's
been good for machine quilting. I use my Featherweight now for piecing
because it sews a much more precise stitch, and it's even sturdier and
easier to maintain. But I still use the Kenmore for heavy fabrics, for
zigzag stitching and for machine quilting. I don't know a thing about newer
Kenmore machines, or if they are still as reliable.

Good luck with your choice!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old October 12th 04, 01:16 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

I've got two wonderful Kenmores. They are both true workhorses, one is
probably from the 70's and the other from the 80's. I like them so much
and they are so reliable that I bought my daughter a Kenmore a couple of
years ago. Not one of the really cheap ones, I wanted her to be able to
drop the feed dogs and to adjust the pressure on the pressure foot. It
started jamming after a couple of hours of use. After at least an hour of
frustration trying to figure out what was wrong, including taking the
bobbin assembly out to check for any sort of loose threads, changing the
needle, rethreading, you name it....I took it back to Sears. They didn't
even question why I was returning it or offer any help, just asked me if I
wanted a refund or another machine. I got another machine, and....you
guessed it, the same thing happened all over again.

My daughter now has a wonderful old Singer 503 and a Singer Creative Touch
machine.....at a fraction of the price I paid for the Kenmore.

Judie in Penfield NY

Old October 12th 04, 02:09 PM
Natalie

I have a fabulous old kenmore, but I can't recommend the new ones for
lack of experience with them....

I wanted to chime in in case you can find an old one... That's how I
got mine. After $70 in a cleaning and a few repairs it was good as new..

Best,
NS

Old October 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Terbear

I Love my Kenmore....my husband "Ken" bought me mine, and probabaly because
of the name....but it has been so reliable, and easy to use, especially for
me, the beginner. I remember taking it to classes with gals that used Pfaff
machines, and they use to joke with me at the wonderful things I could
create with a much less expensive machine. I use the one that does blanket
stitches. I bought one for my son also that does two stitches (straight &
zig zag)...I also bought a second kenmore, it must be a slightly older
model, it seems to be a step up from the one I use, yet it does not do
blanket.
My girlfriend just bought another Kenmore, hers seems to be the same as
mine, yet includes a 1/4" foot & walking foot....I think it was a much
better deal then buying those parts seperate.
Good luck

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Old October 12th 04, 07:02 PM
Heather

I have two Kenmores and love them both. One of them is a just a few years
old, but myolder one is from the early 60s. It belongd to my husband's
mother, an she taught all of hubby's sisters to sew on it when they were
young..the oldest sister is now over 45. Now, I' m using it to teach my
girls to sew.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a kenmore.

Old October 12th 04, 07:36 PM
Pati Cook

Have to chime in here. My mom did buy a sewing machine. A Kenmore. Every time
I have tried to use that machine it jams up, acts up and is a pain to sew with.
It doesn't like me at all. BG

So, my recommendation is to not buy a machine you cannot try out yourself.
Unless you can return it, no questions asked.

No one machine is right for everyone. I love my Viking machines, but not
everyone likes them.

BG

Pati, in Phx.