"Handmade, US Lampwork"????

Old September 12th 04, 04:55 PM
Kalera Stratton

COOL! I bet it could be used with Boro... how hard is it to get hold of?

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Christina Peterson wrote:
Moldavite is a glass originating in space, and found by the Moldau river in
Czech.. Green and very corroded looking.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Tektites are compatible with boro... moldavite I am not familiar with.
Obsidian is a glass, but I'm not sure of the COE... hmmmm...

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Christina Peterson wrote:

Tektites? And what would moldavite do? Would obsidian melt into a

glass?

What other naturally occurring glass can I think of. Or how about part

of a

chunk of beach glass.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Yes. EXACTLY!

-Kalera (who admits to poking around the house to see WHAT ELSE might do
something cool when you put it on molten glass...)

http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:

And no one wonders why I say that these guys will do any fool thing
to see what happens when you touch it with hot glass.

--------A Cautionary Tale About Lampworkers-----------

"Oh Look - a big pile of cat fur. Wonder if it will add texture and
add to my half finished bead of EDP? It's only about a thousand
degrees, and the fur should look great. Or, I could just roll the
cat in baking soda and then use the fur! kewl."

Cat runs screaming from the room at the speed of light.

"Wow! Look at this way cool effect I got from the cat fur. Here
kitty, kitty. C'mon kitty, c'mon. [Kitty has gone on a long term
vacation]"

"Hmm, guess I'd better collect the cat fur that's stuck to all my
dry-clean-only clothes. And I don't have any baking soda left. I
wonder what instant decaf will do. It might make brown frit - and I
can call it a "Java Bead" - whooo!"

[Later, when posting bead's photos onto eBay] "Hmm. I think I'd
better call it a proprietary method. I'm not gonna say anything
about the cat fur here. But wait until I tell them over on Wet
Canvas! Or. Maybe. Not...It can be my own secret. Heh, heh, heh."

Kathy N-V

Old September 12th 04, 05:01 PM
Kalera Stratton

You're very welcome... welcome to the group!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Peggy wrote:
WOW! When I sent my original message I had no idea what a thorough response
I'd receive! I run a full-time, hectic, non-jewelry-related business, so
making jewelry is just a hobby for me. I checked back this morning
thinking, "Well, let me just see whether anyone has replied to my Friday
post."

What can I say? I was totally overwhelmed. Thank you all for your very,
very informative replies. I am humbled and in awe of the amount of
knowledge that I've stumbled upon in this newsgroup. I will definitely hang
out here as I try to learn more.

I found the several example Web sites that you recommended very
helpful--though I still have not had time to time to visit very one. I also
especially appreciate the suggestion to ask about custom work. I never
would have thought of that. And the info about the various bead groups
helps, too--I've actually seen WC mentioned in some auctions. I thought
that it was a reference to the type of glass that the artist was using.
OOPS!

The comparisons of Indian lampwork, Chinese lampwork, were very informative.
I looked through my beads after I read them, and I think that I've actually
purchased some Indian lampwork beads. I can see that white stuff that you
talked about around the holes. However, these beads were very inexpensive
and were sold to me as "Indian glass beads" so I don't feel that the seller
in anyway misrepresented them. The are actually very pretty, though after
reading your posts I now understand that they are probably more fragile than
I'd realized.

I also found your candor about pricing very helpful. Let's face it--as an
uneducated buyer, other than buying fake hand-made lampwork, the thing that
gives me the most hesitation when it comes to making a purchase is price.
It's not so much an issue of getting a deal--though a deal is always nice.
It's that I don't want to find out that I've paid twice as much as I should
have based on the complexity and quality of the beads.

So many, many other things that you said have been helpful to me. I wish
that I could comment on all of them right now. But the truth is that I want
to get back to reading and re-reading your replies and visiting your Web
sites. So...I'll just say thanks to this entire group for the generous
amount of time that you all clearly spent replying to my post. I can see
that I have much more to learn than I realized! But I can also see that
I've come to the right place!!

In fact, I think I'll get back to reading right now. Thank you all!!!

Old September 12th 04, 05:51 PM
Carla

(((((Kathy)))))!

Cheers,
Carla

Kathy N-V wrote:

P.S.: Because I know you guys are going to ask: I was simply
standing there and my right leg gave out on me. As you may know, my
left leg doesn't support me at all, and I use it as a rudder more
than anything. Unfortunately, one leg slid one way, and the other
slid another way, and I got a Power Wedgie (tm)

I'm doing a very good job hiding the pain right now, because Bob has
an awards dinner tonight, and if he knew I was really hurting, he'd
want to stay home with me. Still, there's no way I'll make it to the
dinner without the friggin' wheelchair. Wish me luck.

Old September 12th 04, 06:54 PM
Dr. Sooz

Dammit, Kathy, if you weren't already in so much pain, I'd have to smack you
for hiding your pain from Bob.
That is the most contradicting thing I've ever seen you type--contrary to
YOU, that is.

I totally understand it. When you're in constant pain, sometimes you just have
to. Hide it. Circumstances sometimes demand it.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old September 12th 04, 06:57 PM
Dr. Sooz

Peggy, do you want me to send you some eBay glass artist links? :-)
~~

Old September 12th 04, 07:26 PM
Christina Peterson

I've gotten beads from Denmark, Czech (artist made), Spain, and of course
Canada. The US doesn't have a corner on the market, but North American does
have the culture to emphasize individual effort, even a little more than
Western Europe. Maybe a result have having fewer strong traditions.

Tina

"Su/Cutworks" wrote in message
Tina wrote:

Thanks for the links.

It was a hoot going through them, each time I clicked on anything that
looked like a link I never knew if it was going to be beads, anime', or
something dubious but what the hey, life's always an adventure!

There are some stupendous artists out there, not only in Japan, I might

add.
Anyone who thinks it's just some cute little crafty thing only needs to

see
what's being done by people on this group.

-Su

Old September 12th 04, 07:31 PM
~Candace~

Welcome to the RCB, Peggy I just want to thank you for actually coming
back after your initial post! So many folks ask a question and never come
back to actually read the responses they get. Grab a seat and hang on--this
group provides an interesting ride!

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

"Peggy" wrote in message
[...]

"Peggy" wrote in message
I recently started to make my own hand-made jewelry, and am currently
doing my own wirework and metal clay. I have only purchased lampwork
beads twice: The first set I love. The second set were definitely flawed
(there were cracks where the artist removed the mandrel).

How can I learn to tell the difference between genuine hand-crafted
lampwork beads and cheap imported beads, especially when the seller says
that the beads are handmade? I like lampwork, but I really have no
interest in learning how to make my own lampwork beads. (I've already
got enough to learn about metal!)

I asked this question at a recent bead show, and someone suggested that I
look closely at the beads before purchasing them. This is a good idea if
you can see the beads before you buy, but it won't help me because I live
in the country, about an hour-and-a-half drive from the nearest city and
beadshop. The reality is that I have to purchase on-line. So I have to
look at pictures and Web sites to make a determination. What should I
look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I just started reading this newsgroup today, so please excuse me if
this question has already been asked and answered in this group.

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
LOL! Look at this one! She's billing firepolished as Swarovski, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&item=4924764
774&tc=photo

Whoa, that's fraud.
~~

Old September 12th 04, 07:33 PM
~Candace~

After thinking it over, I really must apologise for saying what I did. I
think I do understand, and I was being a hypocrit.
It just makes me so angry==that Kathy is in this pain, and that she can't
always be free to express it fully==but I do totally get it.
((((Kathy)))

Old September 12th 04, 07:34 PM
Christina Peterson

Some people here make their living with glass, and some are professional to
the degree that they sell a professional bead product (beads, or jewelry).
But very many of us are interested in beads, just because they make us
happy, no matter what the skill level; and no matter what their time
restraints.

I think part of why you got such a full answer is that we like to talk about
beads, and share information with each other. So we're always pleased when
we get a new audience. Glad you'll hang around. This is a fun and friendly
group. We're like a family, including the occasional squabbles.

Tina

Old September 12th 04, 07:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

==that Kathy is in this pain, and that she can't
always be free to express it fully==

She might howl 24/7!! (laughing -- but not really)
~~