"Handmade, US Lampwork"????

Old September 11th 04, 03:05 AM
Dr. Sooz

How can I learn to tell the difference between genuine hand-crafted lampwork
beads and cheap imported beads, especially when the seller says that the
beads are handmade?

Like any other handmade thing, there's a lot of leeway even in the domestic
(USA-made) handmade stuff. The best way to tell what's good (aka artful,
well-made, etc.) and what's not is simply by experience.

I didn't buy any lampwork until I'd looked at a TON of it online, and had read
a lot of stuff here on RCB. Here's a place to go to see GOOD lampwork:
http://www.lampwork.net/soozlinkslist2.html

And if you email me, I can give you some links to quality lampworkers on eBay,
too, which will educate you some more. (There's a lot of not-so-great lampwork
on eBay, and a lot of made-by-slave-labor imported junk lampwork on eBay, too.)
My email address:
divaocean AT aol DOT com
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old September 11th 04, 03:06 AM
Dr. Sooz

I asked this question at a recent bead show, and someone suggested that I
look closely at the beads before purchasing them. This is a good idea if
you can see the beads before you buy, but it won't help me because I live in
the country, about an hour-and-a-half drive from the nearest city and
beadshop. The reality is that I have to purchase on-line. So I have to
look at pictures and Web sites to make a determination. What should I look
for?

Start with lampworkers who have a good reputation! That helps a TON. (And not
all of them cost an arm and a leg.)

P.S. I just started reading this newsgroup today, so please excuse me if
this question has already been asked and answered in this group.

WELCOME, Peggy! Don't be afraid.............heh heh heh
~~

Old September 11th 04, 03:07 AM
Dr. Sooz

I really have no interest in
learning how to make my own lampwork beads.

ME NEITHER! Sheesh. We can't be expected to do it all. (Somebody has to BUY
the lampwork these pyromaniacs make....)
~~

Old September 11th 04, 03:10 AM
Dr. Sooz

Another way is to look for
"WC" or "BHV" in auction titles; that means that the seller is a member
of one of those groups, which are essentially just like this one,
dedicated to exchanging knowledge and furthering the advancements of
beads and beading as an art form.

I've found that this isn't necessarily a way to find really artful beads (IMO)
-- but you will buy uncracked, good quality beads from people with WC or BHV in
their auction titles.
~~

Old September 11th 04, 04:41 AM
Kalera Stratton

YES. It's no guarantee that they'll be "art", but it is at least a good
starting point to assure yourself that they're not imports, and they are
most likely annealed simply because of the sound thrashing people
receive on WC for even considering not annealing their stuff!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old September 11th 04, 04:43 AM
Karen_AZ

ME NEITHER! Sheesh. We can't be expected to do it all. (Somebody has to
BUY

the lampwork these pyromaniacs make....)

THANK YOU!!!!!!

KarenK (who would much rather play with fire)

Old September 11th 04, 05:00 AM
Kandice Seeber

Yeah!!!!! (fire, fire, fire)

--