OT Danish language help please

Old December 6th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

Default OT Danish language help please

Can a Danish speaker translate this for me --

Hvordan har du det?

And tell me a good reply for it? This will help my social life a LOT and
I'd be happy to explain it all to the Danish speaker who helps me :-D

Please reply to anne DOT rudolph AT sbcglobal DOT net by replacing the
obvious.

Thank you so much.

--
Anne in CA
anne DOT rudolph AT sbcglobal DOT net
Old December 7th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I'm going to sit here very quietly and not offer all the things that pop
into my wee little head. Polly

"Anne in CA" Can a Danish speaker translate this for me --

Old December 7th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Hvordan har du det? How are you?

http://www.transparent.com/languagep.../NoPhrases.htm

Old December 7th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

It means How are you? or How do you do?

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old December 7th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter quilter

Then she would or could say:
Takk, jeg har det bra. I'm fine, thank you.

Old December 7th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

Thanks to all for the help -- especially Polly ;-).

My friend is Danish though, not Norwegian. Seems the phrase for "How are
you?" is the same in both languages, but "I'm fine thank you" is
different (?) An off line response offered me "Godt, mange tak." for
"Fine, thank you."

Anne in CA -- wondering if a date will result from all this word play

Old December 7th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Having grown up speaking Danish with my grandparents from Juteland..........
Hvordan har du det? How are you? If it was a formal greeting or to
somebody you don't know the 'du' would be 'de'

Jeg har det fint, tak I'm fine thanks

Godt, mange tak. would translate to Good, thank you very much.

Farvel
Val

Old December 7th 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Anne in CA wrote:
Can a Danish speaker translate this for me --

Hvordan har du det?

And tell me a good reply for it? This will help my social life a LOT and
I'd be happy to explain it all to the Danish speaker who helps me :-D

Please reply to anne DOT rudolph AT sbcglobal DOT net by replacing the
obvious.

Thank you so much.

As lots of people have already said, it means "How are you?" However, I
(as a native Danish speaker no less) would argue that the "standard"
reply (when you don't really want to spill all your hassles) is
regional. In some places "Ikke daarligt" (not bad) is much more likely :-)

Hanne in London
Old December 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

"How are you?"
Reply: Jeg har det godt, tak.
(Warning: Danish is not pronounced as written!)
Roberta in D

Old December 10th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
klh in VA

but in norge, they pronounce the words; in danmark, they swallow the
endings or talk with a hot potato in their mouth

or some swedes say and norge have a language; danes have a throat
disease :-)
to me dansk sounds like swedish spoken through one on those garlers they
use on tv interviews to mask the voice :-)