sewing machines for hurricane evacuees

Old September 10th 05, 10:42 AM
Sally Holmes

Kay Lancaster wrote:
I have been on several Freecycle lists, and I guess in my area they
seem to be populated with cyberbeggars. Personally I think
Freecycle lists should not allow people to ask for things, and I
think it's ridiculous

I'm on a couple of different freecycle lists -- at least in this area,
"asking" is limited to one post a month per person. Mostly what I see
are requests for such items as wheelchairs, kid's goods from foster
families, craft supplies for kids groups, etc. I have seen the
occasional request for sewing machines, too.

Someone on one of the local ones asked for an Apple imac g3 so that she can
run her dtp software.

Bwah hah hah! I should ask for a winning lottery ticket.

But on the whole it's a good group, and nice to see useful stuff go around.

Sally

Old September 10th 05, 03:21 PM

Sally Holmes wrote:

Someone on one of the local ones asked for an Apple imac g3 so that she can
run her dtp software.

Yeah; that's what the local lists seem to be peppered with, although I
have to say that I blame the list owners for allowing it -- and they
specifically do allow it with no apologies (I let each list owner know
why I left their list and nobody cared). I think I'll stick with
Craigslist, personally, until such time as the local lists migrate to a
web site, which they said would do in the next few years.
Old September 11th 05, 07:50 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I guess that's where living in such a small town changes things: we give
all of our extras to the local Sally Ann or Knights of Columbus (they hold a
flea market). We belong to neither church, but see a lot of good coming
from both in our community. I donate fabric odds and ends to the local
schools or to our Lutheran church women who make quilt toppers for disaster
relief efforts and small knick-knacks for their fall tea and bazaar. When
my son left home without taking his bed along, we gave it to the Sally Ann
that very week!
Cynthia
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...