Some good reads

Old March 22nd 11, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Some good reads

Petty magic but Camille DeAngelis - Beldames (white witches) in a small
town in NJ with lots of WWII deering do

Trail of Ink - Melvin Starr - have recommended this series before - book
three is excellent

Latest Hamish McBeth - thank heavens for the plots as the characters
have gone stale.

Have started the Dresden Files and am waiting for the next one in the
series to return to the library.

Cheryl
Old March 22nd 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Mar 22, 8:54*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Petty magic but Camille DeAngelis - Beldames (white witches) in a small
town in NJ with lots of WWII deering do

Trail of Ink - Melvin Starr - have recommended this series before - book
three is excellent

Latest Hamish McBeth - thank heavens for the plots as the characters
have gone stale.

Have started the Dresden Files and am waiting for the next one in the
series to return to the library.

Cheryl

I am about to start the latest Jennifer
Chiaverini, " The Union Quilters."

Just finished one of several of Steven Havill's
Posadas County mysteries, Scavengers,
set in New Mexico.

Discovered these recently and found a bunch at
the local Half Price Books. If you enjoyed Tony
Hillerman, you might enjoy these. I am.

Nancy
Old March 22nd 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/22/11 8:54 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Petty magic but Camille DeAngelis - Beldames (white witches) in a small
town in NJ with lots of WWII deering do

Trail of Ink - Melvin Starr - have recommended this series before - book
three is excellent

Latest Hamish McBeth - thank heavens for the plots as the characters
have gone stale.

Funnily enough, I had checked out the last couple from the library to get
caught up. They're still a fun, quick read. However, I got a notice from
the library about "Death of a Chimney Sweep" being overdue, when I actually
haven't even checked it out - though I'm in the queue for it.

Have started the Dresden Files and am waiting for the next one in the
series to return to the library.

Cheryl

Hmmm, read the latest "Maggody " book from Joan Hess (The Merry Wives of
Maggody) - it's a little more interesting WRT what the future holds - worth
it if you're a fan.

Also, got "The Distant Hours" finally - but haven't read it yet, but am
looking forward to it.

Ellice

Old March 22nd 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/22/11 2:28 PM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 3/22/11 8:54 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl wrote:

Petty magic but Camille DeAngelis - Beldames (white witches) in a small
town in NJ with lots of WWII deering do

Trail of Ink - Melvin Starr - have recommended this series before - book
three is excellent

Latest Hamish McBeth - thank heavens for the plots as the characters
have gone stale.

Funnily enough, I had checked out the last couple from the library to get
caught up. They're still a fun, quick read. However, I got a notice from
the library about "Death of a Chimney Sweep" being overdue, when I actually
haven't even checked it out - though I'm in the queue for it.

LOL

Have started the Dresden Files and am waiting for the next one in the
series to return to the library.

Cheryl

Hmmm, read the latest "Maggody " book from Joan Hess (The Merry Wives of
Maggody) - it's a little more interesting WRT what the future holds - worth
it if you're a fan.

it's out - will have to go back to the library and make sure they get
it! Love the Arly Hanks books

Also, got "The Distant Hours" finally - but haven't read it yet, but am
looking forward to it.

Ellice

enjoy it - I sure did
Old March 22nd 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl wrote:

[...]

So did I. Just finished one by Faye Kellerman and now I'm going to start
Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell.

Any good mysteries, other then what's already been mentioned would be
appreciated. I don't mind guns and gory, but I don't like gothic or
vampires.

Lucille

Old March 22nd 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

"Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Let us know how the Patricia Cornwell book is. I've felt disappointed with
her last few.

Any good mysteries, other then what's already been mentioned would be
appreciated. I don't mind guns and gory, but I don't like gothic or
vampires.

Lucille

Light mystery - I read the last few Maggie Sefton - they're knitting and
murder - pretty good. Cast of characters set in Colorado, not too much
whining.

Have you read the Hamish MacBeth series that Cheryl & I were talking about?
They're set in Scotland, way in some little town in the Highlands, clever
town policeman who doesn't want promotion to leave his quirky town.
Generally some surprises in who did what to whom, and certainly some
confused romances - plus Hamish has his dog, and a feral cat ... It's a long
series - I think there are about 20 books - but quick reads. I like them a
lot. There was a short-lived TV series which starred Robert Carlyle - but
it was brief. If you do the library - this series would keep you
entertained for a while. Author is MC Beaton.

Ellice

Old March 22nd 11, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 3/22/2011 3:18 PM, Lucille wrote:

So did I. Just finished one by Faye Kellerman and now I'm going to start
Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell.

Any good mysteries, other then what's already been mentioned would be
appreciated. I don't mind guns and gory, but I don't like gothic or
vampires.

Lucille

I've given up on Patricia Cornwell.

I read "The Union Quilters" last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. But
this week I've charged through Jo Nesbo's latest (The Leopard)...a real
"DEAR" book (drop everything and read). I ordered it from the UK because
it won't be out in the US for ages yet...but now I have to wait and wait
for the next! Argh!

Diane Mott Davidson has a new one soon. The last few haven't been very
exciting, but I'll try again...Waiting my turn for the new Maeve Binchy.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old March 22nd 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Petty magic but Camille DeAngelis - Beldames (white witches) in a small
town in NJ with lots of WWII deering do

Trail of Ink - Melvin Starr - have recommended this series before - book
three is excellent

Latest Hamish McBeth - thank heavens for the plots as the characters
have gone stale.

Have started the Dresden Files and am waiting for the next one in the
series to return to the library.

Cheryl

I love the Dresden Files and have been listening to them for the nth
time on audiobook this week. Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series
are fun too, if you like the supernatural 'thing'. Also, Patricia
Briggs' Mercy Thompson series.

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 23rd 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/22/11 5:18 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

Stopped reading Dianne Mott Davidson books. Just had an overwhelming
urge to bitch slap too many characters. Stopped with Cornwell for
similar reason

I'll give Jo Nesbo a try though.