Butternut squash...

Old October 20th 04, 09:59 AM
Carol In WI

Default Butternut squash...

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

Old October 20th 04, 11:05 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/20/04 4:59 AM, in article ,
"Carol In WI" wrote:

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

I've cooked it up and mashed it and then frozen it. It was ok, not as good
as "fresh" but still better than the store brand frozen squash!
Cheryl

Old October 21st 04, 10:11 AM
Poetta

Yummy ... this is my Grandson John's FAVORITE yellow veggie. Course,
it ends up on his face more than in his mouth, but he's trying!!! His
Mommy makes all his food for him, so he hasn's been privy to all the
Gerber and Beechnut baby food. Oops .. sorry ... that's way OT on the
OT!!!

Jennifer / Poetta

www.LadybugLane.com

Old October 22nd 04, 06:36 PM
Boohoo1971

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

YES! I used to grow them and I loved butternut pies. I would use a recipe for
pumpkin pies ...the recipe for a pie from fresh pumpkin...and make the
butternut squash filling. I lined foil pie pans with aluminum foil, filled the
pan with butternut pie mix and covered with foil then into the freezer. I made
sure my pans were the size of the already made pie crusts, so all I did was to
drop the frozen filling into the crust, allow it to thaw then bake it. Oh, it
was so good. You might also go to google and enter "directions for freezing
butternut squash. Boo
Old October 24th 04, 12:53 AM
Becky Andresen

"Boohoo1971" skrev i melding
Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

YES! I used to grow them and I loved butternut pies. I would use a

recipe for
pumpkin pies ...the recipe for a pie from fresh pumpkin...and make the
butternut squash filling. I lined foil pie pans with aluminum foil,

filled the
pan with butternut pie mix and covered with foil then into the freezer. I

made
sure my pans were the size of the already made pie crusts, so all I did

was to
drop the frozen filling into the crust, allow it to thaw then bake it.

Oh, it
was so good. You might also go to google and enter "directions for

freezing
butternut squash. Boo

Hey Boo? I've always loved Butternut squash more then life itself...but
they don't exist here in Norway. My husband barely knows what a pumpkin is.
So, since you used to grow them...I have to ask: how hard are they to grow?
I can only grow in containers (but we can build large ones) so there is that
limitation. What growing zone do they grow in?

I'm despairing this year because it's the first time in my life that a big
dish of butternut squash isn't going to be on the table for thanksgiving.
I'm hoping that maybe I won't be so sad next year if I can grow them myself.

Misses all the trappings of home...
Becky A.

Old October 24th 04, 01:15 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/23/04 7:53 PM, in article , "Becky
Andresen" wrote:

"Boohoo1971" skrev i melding
[...]

Hmmm - I know that you can grow the little pumpkins in containers; I suspect
if you keep it well watered, you could do get at least 2-3 squashes per
plant. Oh and one plant per container.

Just make sure you follow the import rules when you order the seeds.

Cheryl