Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

Old September 4th 12, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Craftsy

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:55:35 -0400, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

"Craftsy" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:13:04 -0700, "BEI Design"
wrote:

Craftsy wrote:
A couple of years ago or so, I saw a sale for cones of
thread at a very good price so I bought a couple. I've
since never been able to figure out how to use them on my
regular sewing machine. When I went around Xmas to
fabric store, they told me that those were for sergers
and that I couldn't use them in any way on a regular
sewing machine.

[snip]

Be sure to get the one with the cast iron base. The plastic ones tip and do
not stay put well. I can supply it if you can;t find it local.

Ah well, I saw my cone holder on sale before reading this post. I got
a plastic-bottomed one. Well, I'll just have to live with it for now.
I got it on sale so it's not like I paid a fortune for something
flimsy. I could come up with a way to keep the base more stable if it
becomes a problem.

Thx.

Old September 5th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Gen

I'm not so sure she meant can't use in the physical sense. The serger
thread is so much more lintier, it will cause problems with lint buildup
if you're not careful to clean the bobbin area OFTEN. It can be used
for machine sewing, but is not recommended.
Gen

Old September 5th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

wrote:
Be sure to get the one with the cast iron base. The
plastic ones tip and do not stay put well. I can supply
it if you can;t find it local.

Ah well, I saw my cone holder on sale before reading this
post. I got
a plastic-bottomed one. Well, I'll just have to live
with it for now.
I got it on sale so it's not like I paid a fortune for
something
flimsy. I could come up with a way to keep the base more
stable if it becomes a problem.

Two words: Duct Tape... .

Old January 2nd 13, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
mauday1

replying to Craftsy , mauday1 wrote:
NoSpam wrote:

A couple of years ago or so, I saw a sale for cones of thread at a
very good price so I bought a couple. I've since never been able to
figure out how to use them on my regular sewing machine. When I went
around Xmas to fabric store, they told me that those were for sergers
and that I couldn't use them in any way on a regular sewing machine.

Well, I've never been one to believe something can't be done until
I've exhausted all avenues. I _still_ may not have figured out what I
can do to use the cones on the single slim spindle on my Singer but
thought maybe someone here had created something that would do the
job.

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Has anyone figured out anything that works?

Thanks. D

-- HI

I found a thread stand at my fabric shop in the notions department. It
consists of
a base that a rod screws into, the rod has a curved piece
at top with an eyelet that the thread runs through.
This sits on your table and you thread your
machine as usual.
I hope this helps.

Old April 8th 13, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 05/09/2012 02:03, Gen wrote:
I'm not so sure she meant can't use in the physical sense. The serger
thread is so much more lintier, it will cause problems with lint buildup
if you're not careful to clean the bobbin area OFTEN. It can be used for
machine sewing, but is not recommended.

Not so sure about this. I use a good quality serger/overlocker thread
and have no problem. I've had more lint of Gutterman poly thread than
off my Empress Mills 120's poly. Gutterman SERGER thread is excellent,
mind.

When the plastic base of my cone holder failed, Himself glued the bits
into holes in a block of wood. Works a treat!

Gen

On 9/4/2012 3:52 PM, Craftsy wrote:
When I went around Xmas to
fabric store, they told me that those were for sergers
and that I couldn't use them in any way on a regular
sewing machine.

--
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 8th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
David Scheidt

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
:On 05/09/2012 02:03, Gen wrote:
: I'm not so sure she meant can't use in the physical sense. The serger
: thread is so much more lintier, it will cause problems with lint buildup
: if you're not careful to clean the bobbin area OFTEN. It can be used for
: machine sewing, but is not recommended.

:Not so sure about this. I use a good quality serger/overlocker thread
:and have no problem. I've had more lint of Gutterman poly thread than
ff my Empress Mills 120's poly. Gutterman SERGER thread is excellent,
:mind.

Assuming your talking about spun poly thread, and not something like
'wooly nylon', serger thread is just thread. Small diameter thread, of
course, but still, just thread. It works just fine in most machines
(apparently some can't tension small threads well, but I suspect
that's user error.).

--
sig 12