quilter block

Old January 8th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default quilter block

On Jan 6, 4:50*pm, "Taria" wrote:
So I am going to try and finish up some projects that have stopped
me at various stages. *I have out my tumblers top and am trying to work
out a border. *The quilt room has lots of fabrics all over the place.
I have been pulling looking for just the right colors. *DH wandered
through a few minutes ago. *He comments "did something happen?"
No, why? *I look around and golly it looks like a tornado came through.
Sure wish I could make up my mind on this silly thing.
Lack of choices has no part of the problem. *I am determined, if that
helps.
Taria

Hey, there is name for that. I learned this in the Piece o' Cake
applique class.
You're not just dragging out fabric and strewing it all over.

You are "auditioning fabrics."

Sherry

Old January 8th 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

On Jan 7, 7:27*pm, "Taria" wrote:
Okay, let's do a bit of analysis here. G
If you want to do sort of strippy side borders with applique (Sounds
like a really neat idea.... should be wonderful) then you probably
want to use a fairly neutral border. (I may be being influenced by the
trunk show at the meeting last night. Tonee White was our speaker and
she works a lot in "primitive and country" type colors. G)
But tumblers tend to speak of sort of early stuff..... more primitive
than Baltimore Album type applique. ?????
Style not color......
You may want to start with thinking about what fabrics you will use
for the applique, and what the applique will be. Then use a border
fabric that will show off the applique. For example, if you are using
scrappy, "folky" applique then you could use a basic muslin or similar
for the border. If you want to use brights for the applique then you
might want a black or pretty dark border. That should help narrow
things down a bit. G

Have fun and hope we get to see pics at some point. (Maybe a pic of
the top as is would generate some more specific suggestions???)

Pati, in Phx

The colors are my problem. *I am working through it today.
I tend to be pretty traditional in quilt patterns but somewhere
along the way in the saving scrap tumblers or assembling
them I got this hairbrain idea that a border would be fun.
I am going for just the long sides. *Some whimsy with these
kind of big applique flowers. *It is just so unexpected it might
work. *I am having fun with it all and have somewhat cleared
the tornado. * There wasn't any planning initially to this quilt.
I got the template some time ago and when doing other scrap
quilts I have been cutting these out and just setting them aside
until I had a mess of them. *I really planned on just total tumbler
pieces but I think I saw the border in a magazine and it jumped
out at me.
Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Taria

Old January 8th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Taria wrote:
The colors are my problem. I am working through it today.
I tend to be pretty traditional in quilt patterns but somewhere
along the way in the saving scrap tumblers or assembling
them I got this hairbrain idea that a border would be fun.
I am going for just the long sides. Some whimsy with these
kind of big applique flowers. It is just so unexpected it might
work. I am having fun with it all and have somewhat cleared
the tornado. There wasn't any planning initially to this quilt.
I got the template some time ago and when doing other scrap
quilts I have been cutting these out and just setting them aside
until I had a mess of them. I really planned on just total tumbler
pieces but I think I saw the border in a magazine and it jumped
out at me.
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Oooh! That sounds really fun, and I bet it looks fantastic. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

I AM A QUILTER!! nana wilson Quilting 6 October 9th 07 02:51 AM
never tell a quilter..... Sharon Harper Quilting 0 November 6th 06 09:49 PM
"Strolling the Block" block exchange....members wanted! Terbear Quilting 5 October 4th 04 04:45 AM
OT..Dr Quilter Joanna Quilting 1 December 16th 03 07:11 PM
New Quilter from OZ Natalie and Aaron Leaver Quilting 17 December 9th 03 07:59 PM