quilter block

Old January 6th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Default quilter block

So I am going to try and finish up some projects that have stopped
me at various stages. I have out my tumblers top and am trying to work
out a border. The quilt room has lots of fabrics all over the place.
I have been pulling looking for just the right colors. DH wandered
through a few minutes ago. He comments "did something happen?"
No, why? I look around and golly it looks like a tornado came through.
Sure wish I could make up my mind on this silly thing.
Lack of choices has no part of the problem. I am determined, if that
helps.
Taria

Old January 7th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Sometimes that border is the hardest part of all. You can take a fine quilt
or painting (or probably lots of other creations) and enhance or ho-hum with
the frame. Keep whirling until something says, "Yes"! You can clear out
the tornado. One day. If you want to. Polly

"Taria" wrote So I am going to try and finish up some projects that have

Old January 7th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Taria wrote:
So I am going to try and finish up some projects that have stopped
me at various stages. I have out my tumblers top and am trying to work
out a border. The quilt room has lots of fabrics all over the place.
I have been pulling looking for just the right colors. DH wandered
through a few minutes ago. He comments "did something happen?"
No, why? I look around and golly it looks like a tornado came through.
Sure wish I could make up my mind on this silly thing.
Lack of choices has no part of the problem. I am determined, if that
helps.
Taria

I sympathize Taria. I always feel when I have the main part of the top
done, it's nearly complete. Then I get bogged down in the border and
reality sets in....

Michelle in Nevada
Old January 7th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Do you like any of these? http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old January 7th 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Perhaps that's why I never used to put borders on!
I am only just starting to see how to do it.
You will find something you like. Try reducing the choices by making a
short list (pile) and then putting everything else away!
..
In message , Taria
writes
So I am going to try and finish up some projects that have stopped
me at various stages. I have out my tumblers top and am trying to work
out a border. The quilt room has lots of fabrics all over the place.
I have been pulling looking for just the right colors. DH wandered
through a few minutes ago. He comments "did something happen?"
No, why? I look around and golly it looks like a tornado came through.
Sure wish I could make up my mind on this silly thing.
Lack of choices has no part of the problem. I am determined, if that
helps.
Taria

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 7th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Well, perhaps the quilt doesn't want borders? If it is a charm type
tumbler quilt then they were often just finished and bound with
straight cut edges. Remember often these were scrap quilts made by
folks who couldn't afford yardage for borders. G
If you really want a border or two.... what color do you want to
emphasize? What color do you want the quilt to "be"? That is the color
for your border. If you want a print, then a small "solid" border to
separate the center of the quilt from the border is probably a good
idea.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old January 7th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Which is one reason I often start planning a quilt with the border.
VBG The interior may change but if I know what the border is going
to be that helps a lot. (Or at least most of the border, there are
times I need to improvise if I change the size of the quilt much. )

Pati, in Phx

Old January 8th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

You mean like "planning"??? LOL! That's a very good idea. I'll need
to consider that next time I design a quilt. In the past I've always
been so focused on the body of the top that I neglected the border
planning. I think partly it's because my first scrappy quilts didn't
really have any kind of elaborate border--as you pointed out in your
Now that I've moved on, well the story is different and I need to take
that into account. :-)

Michelle in Nevada

Old January 8th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

The colors are my problem. I am working through it today.
I tend to be pretty traditional in quilt patterns but somewhere
along the way in the saving scrap tumblers or assembling
them I got this hairbrain idea that a border would be fun.
I am going for just the long sides. Some whimsy with these
kind of big applique flowers. It is just so unexpected it might
work. I am having fun with it all and have somewhat cleared
the tornado. There wasn't any planning initially to this quilt.
I got the template some time ago and when doing other scrap
quilts I have been cutting these out and just setting them aside
until I had a mess of them. I really planned on just total tumbler
pieces but I think I saw the border in a magazine and it jumped
out at me.
Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Taria

Old January 8th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Delightful! Wonderful. How unexpected. Yes,yes, yes. Go for it. Polly

"Taria" The colors are my problem. I am working through it today.

I AM A QUILTER!! nana wilson Quilting 6 October 9th 07 02:51 AM
never tell a quilter..... Sharon Harper Quilting 0 November 6th 06 09:49 PM
"Strolling the Block" block exchange....members wanted! Terbear Quilting 5 October 4th 04 04:45 AM
OT..Dr Quilter Joanna Quilting 1 December 16th 03 07:11 PM
New Quilter from OZ Natalie and Aaron Leaver Quilting 17 December 9th 03 07:59 PM