Two color binding???

Old October 22nd 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default Two color binding???

I am making an oversized king size quilt that needs to be reversible. The
front of the quilt needs navy binding and the backing side (a busy print
which will appear to be a whole cloth when used with this side up) needs
brown binding. I cannot find any fabric that will go well with both sides
(the prints on the two sides are just to different in characteristics and
colors) and I have eliminated that idea. The problem is how to make a
binding that is navy on one side of the quilt and brown on the other side?
(This quilt is a commission for a man and will probably get hard use, so a
single thickness binding wouldn't be practical.)

I have some ideas but seams to join the different colors will cause a major
issue with bulk- as will corners and joining the two ends of the finished
binding. How would you construct the two color binding? Where would you
put the seams joining the two colors? Which direction should the seams be
pressed? How to deal with the bulk of the seams??? Yikes!

How would you conquer this dilemma? Any and all ideas gratefully
considered.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 22nd 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

First of all: I've never tried this, so it might be totally dumb.

Use double fold on both sides, just wide enough to meet in the middle
(maybe with a seam allowance in the middle too). Kind of like a quilt
with no applied binding, where you just turn under both the top and
backing fabrics - except here you all those "bindings" to either side
first.

Does that make sense?

Hanne in DK

Old October 22nd 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC[_2_]

Hi Leslie,

I've done it many times. The instructions originally came from Judy
Turner's "Awash With Color" Quilt-As-You-Go (QAYG) book ( btw, a
FABULOUS book).
I don't have the book handy so I can't look up the exact directions.

Try this will some scraps first.

As I remember it - you cut one color 7/8" (brown) and the other
color 1 3/4" (navy) .
Sew them together with a regular quarter inch seam.
I used a smaller stitch length because the seam line will eventually
land on the edge of the quilt.
Fold the binding strips in half as you normally would.
Attach it to the quilt with the brown binding right sides together
with the brown side of the quilt.*
Now wrap it around to the other side and you should see navy
binding .
Sew it down however you normally would.

I do believe there is always going to be a hair of the other color
binding showing on the one side but that's how you do it. Also, for
some strange reason, the miters work out perfectly. I was kind of
astounded the first time I did it.

* I can't remember if you first sew down the smaller or larger colored
binding...I vaguely remember something about sewing the binding to the
back and bringing it around to the front..I guess it depends on which
side you want to sewdown by hand (?).

Again, keep in mind I'm writing this from memory with no fabric in
front of me. I'm playing with Post-Its. I think those measurements are
correct for a finished 1/4" binding. Try it with 3" long scraps first.
Somewhere, in the mess of my sewing room, I have a sample with the
directions pinned to it. It comes in handy. When I'm actually in the
sewing room. And I can find the sample.

Also, Sharon Pederson had a different method in her book (Reversible
Quilts). It was more like single binding and I didn't think it was as
strong. I used the above method on numerous QAYG baby/kids quilts, and
the bindings are still in great shape years and tons of washings
later. I doubt your quilt recipient is going to be as hard on your
quilt as these kids were on theirs.

You didn't post a picture of the quilt tops, but would a stripe like
this work on both sides (if you didn't want to go the 2 sided route):

http://www.quiltersroundup.com/cgi-b...wboyc8503cblue

Hope that wasn't too confusing. If I can find the book, I'll correct
any errors.
-Michele in NYC
Old October 22nd 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
[...]

Here's how I do it -

Two Color Binding:

This is a technique that will save you when you run out of fabric before
you run out of quilt. It also works great for those times when the
front of the quilt is very different than the back of the quilt.

From color one (fabric will show on the front of the quilt) : cut
strips 7/8 inch wide and long enough to edge the quilt.

From color two(fabric will show on the back of the quilt): cut strips 1
3/4 inches wide and long enough to edge the quilt.

Sew the strips of each fabric together to make two long strips of
fabric. Then, sew both fabrics together into one long binding. Press
the seam open.

Fold the binding in half with the right side of the fabric facing out
and press.

With color one facing the front of the quilt, sew the binding to the
quilt as usual.

Fold the binding to the back of the quilt creasing at the seam. Hand
stitch in place.

---

I've had students who cut the front color at 1" and have no problems
with it working out.

Try it! It's really easy and turns out nicely.

marcella
Old October 22nd 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

When you have the two colors stitched together, wouldn't you want to grade
the seam allowances - that is, trim one of the fabrics skinnier than the
other to have just a wee bit less bulk? Polly ( who's not going to try
it, I'm just coming along with you.)
"Marcella Peek" wrote in message

[...]

From color one (fabric will show on the front of the quilt) : cut
strips 7/8 inch wide and long enough to edge the quilt.

From color two(fabric will show on the back of the quilt): cut strips 1

Old October 22nd 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

First, I'd really reconsider the color choice :-)
Second, I'd go look for a stripey fabric of some kind that would solve
the problem. Maybe
http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...38110548258.46

The idea of putting a seam right at the edge of the quilt, which is
basically what we're talking about, just doesn't seem too sensible. Of
course, if we were sensible, we might be in a different sort of
activity. So what about making a tube with 2 long strips. (Obviously,
join strips on the bias and make sure you don't have overlapping
joins.) Press seams open (I think -they are usually smoother that
way). Turn RSO and press so you have a blue half and a brown half,
seams in the middle. Stabilize the edge of the quilt by serging. then
apply the binding by topstitching one side. Turn over, hand-stitch all
the corners. Then topstitch the other edge -carefully- so the stitches
fall just outside the binding fold on the 1st side.(Or do it by hand)
Hope some of this makes sense. You understand, I've never DONE this,
just trying to imagine a "what-if".
Roberta in D

Old October 22nd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Aha. Leslie, you just haven't been outside stomping in the beautiful autumn
leaves enough. Among the gold, green and brown are a few that are nearly,
nearly black but looking closer you'll see that they are deep dark burgundy.
Go look at
http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...1#Fabric_TT135

actually there are several there.
If that doesn't call to you, consider the magnificent Michael Miller
gold glitter. There are at least 3 and one of them might yank your chain.
I'm just sayin'. Polly

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I'm working with a bold wildlife print in golds, greens and browns on the
backing side and a navy and burgundy plaid on the front side. I have
auditioned MANY fabrics from my stash and two fabric stores and absolutely
nothing looks even the least bit appealing. It just isn't an option.
But thanks for trying to make it easier for me. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 22nd 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

There's DH's dictum that most problems can be solved with the application of
cash. g

If I were feeling perfectionist and lazy at the same time, I'd draft up my own
prints with stripes of navy and brown in the proper positions and widths,
and let Spoonflower print me some. Bonus: you get to pick the exact shades
of navy and brown, and the exact scale of the print.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome
Old October 23rd 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Amy in Transit...

ooooo, Kay...I love this site! it's now bookmarked for future use!
thank you!
amy in SoCal
Old October 23rd 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

Definitely a job for striped fabric. There are so many wonderful stripes out
anymore, and the effect in binding is wonderful.

Trixie