On sensible shoes

Old August 14th 03, 06:52 AM
Christina Peterson

Default On sensible shoes

I pretend my isotoner slippers are flats.

Unless it's rainy; then I wear sandals so the water can slide away.

In winter I wear sensible boots. Which, in Alaska, is fashionable.

Unfashionable is frost-bite. But I make my own fashion rules.

Tina

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
Since there seem to be so many members of the Old Lady Shoe Club wink

and
I'm a bit insomniac tonight (enjoying a thunderstorm as it wanders by),

I'm
just curious. How many of us still gravitate towards more "reasonable"
footwear and how many graduated to pointy toes and perilous heels????

For myself, my ankles can't handle the heels. Daring for me is 1". Hardly

fashion statement. G But Birkenstocks don't feel comfy either. I'm
absurdly fond of Clarks sandals (they had a design called Springers that I
loved....lace-up, slight-heeled sandals...now they do buckles and they

don't
fit as well for the transiently puffy pout). But what I really love, in
all colors and designs, is Tevas. Thank the gods I moved to someplace

where,
except for a very few days, I can wear sandals all year long. I have
semi-dressy black suede Tevas, and a bunch of tributes to pedal

engineering
and nylon webbing. I AM the Imelda Marcos of Tevas! G

I've also scored a few pairs of Naturalizer dress sandals. They're
platform-type heels. I'm loving this 70's retro thing because all the
clothes AND shoes I liked the first time are in again. Peasant tops, faded
jeans and platforms.....yeah man! And they go so well with my beads, too.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 14th 03, 07:35 AM
Kandice Seeber

I don't wear anything that hurts. I'll go in slippers or stocking feet all
day long if I am staying home. If I go out, it's comfy shoes at all times.
I don't care how dressy the occasion is, I will not wear heels. Ever.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old August 14th 03, 07:37 AM
Kandice Seeber

Ooops! Added the OT back in.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old August 14th 03, 01:55 PM
mkahogan

It's true that today's fashions really do cry out for beaded jewelry
accompaniment. What scares me a little is that follwing the last fashion
explosion of this sort was the preppy look, which was very lacking in
jewelry. People just wore very basic gold or silver, simple stuff.
Hopefully there are still enough of us old hippies out there to ignore any
such trend!
KathyH

Old August 14th 03, 01:59 PM
mkahogan

I second the comfort insistence, but I am weird about wearing shoes. I like
to either wear shoes all the time (not in bed or the bath,LOL) or if it's
hot, I like to have bare feet. I despise wearing slippers with my clothes
because it makes me feel like I'm sick and I hate the feel of stocking feet.
so, it's either comfy shoes or no shoes.
KathyH

Old August 14th 03, 02:17 PM
marisa2

Since I'm a vegetarian I won't wear leather and since it's creepy, I won't
wear too platicy shoes.

I've never worn heels except at my wedding (hey, the guy is 6'3 and I am
almost a foot shorter! Luckily for me, he slouches even worse then I do so
I can have a conversation while we are walking or sitting without straining
too much). I guess I have one other pair of shoes with heels that I
actually wear if I really have to wear "nice shoes" but I doubt they'd count
for "nice shoes" and my ankles keep turning in them. I just don't know how
to wear nice shoes. *sighs* I'm going to have to figure something out for
interviewing again soon.

I wear high-top men's Converse all fall and winter. (I keep being told this
is bad for my arches, even if I do stick shoe-pads in). 2 years ago my
cousin forced me to spend 5 times my usual shoe-spending maximum ! and buy
Choco's (adjustable hiking sandles). Actually they're pretty and go pretty
well with my "wardrobe" (which has gotten increasingly hippy-esque to my
dismay ), I can slip right into them and pull the strap, they do give
arch-support, are really confortable, and best of all, I haven't broken them
yet! This has got to be some kind of all-time record for me with sandles.
Now I wear them as soon as it gets above freezing in the spring, until it
gets freezing in the fall. Then back to Converse (traditional
black-and-white, or, if I'm really lucky to find a pair, untra-cool
black-on-black).

Now the people at the gym are ganging up with the rest of the people in my
life and saying that I can't take a bunch of the classes until I get some
covered shoes with more support. I might have to bite the bullet and get
vegetarian-friendly Newbalance.

marisa2

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Christina Peterson"
:

]I pretend my isotoner slippers are flats.

BINGO!
i do too. the kids give me a bad time about it, but i love them.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old August 14th 03, 03:47 PM
Sjpolyclay

Unfashionable is frost-bite.

no kidding. We thought my sister might lose 7 fingers winter before last, but
she kept 'em. I learned all about debriding and such; unfashionable is a very
kind way of saying it!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 14th 03, 05:17 PM
Dr. Sooz

I have three pairs of identical flat sandals that go with almost everything,
and work for almost any weather here. I wear them almost without exception,
except when I'm barefoot. I am a heels-fetishist's nightmare.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 14th 03, 05:18 PM
Dr. Sooz

What scares me a little is that follwing the last fashion
explosion of this sort was the preppy look, which was very lacking in
jewelry. People just wore very basic gold or silver, simple stuff.

Preppy! Gross (IMO).
~~
Sooz
-------

Old August 14th 03, 09:12 PM
mkahogan

I have to admit, I was into the look, but I was only 18, so I hope I can be
excused. I thought some of the classic oxford shirt and nice sweaters were
cool.
KathyH